Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2022 Not impressed

TERRYH

2 minutes ago, mwearne said:

Just to confirm, I saved a config file to my C drive. Same result with this selection not sticking and issue when toggling use last. 

change your screen color or something simple

close then reopen, just to confirm that config changes are actually being saved.

32 minutes ago, gcode said:

change your screen color or something simple

close then reopen, just to confirm that config changes are actually being saved.

All my config files work as they should, cloud based or not. 

Can you not duplicate the issue when window chaining geometry for a toolpath? 

...decided to try and break the onedrive config, it will not. Even if I force the file to be cloud based, as soon as its accessed its brought back local. Anyone having issues with files on cloud, its not due to OneDrive and the config file. Something else, maybe, but its not that specific combo.

I have all my Mastercam user files in OneDrive and have 0 issues. Embrace the cloud!! lol Its not a dark scary place.

(my setup may be unique to others which may be resulting in my successful use of the cloud)

Having spent a week in 2022 now, I guess I'd give it mixed reviews. Some things I find more helpful and intuitive. The stock models definitely process much more quickly. And yet other things they've broken and now I have to do more work than in 2019. In the end our reseller told me a few years ago that they didn't have to support us more than 3 versions back, and so, at least, I have yet to find any 'fatal flaws' in 2022 like I did in 2020 and 2021 which kept us from moving up. One day I dream that CNC Software will come out with a new version WITHOUT ANY NEW BELLS AND WHISTLES, but simply fixing everything that has gotten broken over the years, that many of us on this forum have complained about. I do think 2022 has addressed a few of those issues, finally, but not enough of them.

• Like 3

Yesterday I did a set of 4 small similar parts that had bottom and top work and I wanted to use the same tooling on all 4 so after the first one I just imported all the toolpaths like I've done for years and it worked as it should no issues. BUT this morning it's a different story, started a second set of 4 did the first went to import stuff for the 2nd one and the operations were out of order I had bottom mill, bottom drill top mill and top drill, when I imported they were reversed was top mill, top drill, bottom mill, bottom drill.  Not sure what has changed between yesterday and today. But I went ahead and imported the bottom operations and they came in correct, then I did the top so they would be in correct order, and they came in ok and it looked correct, but when I hit save it crashed MC after it restarted I did it again and same results it crashed. To make it work I had to import it in being out of order and then rearrange the operations to be correct. Not sure WTH is going on but man really regretting moving away from 2019......

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2021 at 11:36 AM, mwearne said:

I messed with this a bit and got some odd behavior.  Looks like chaining defaults for last used are not sticking for selection mode. As pointed out earlier in the thread, you can turn the last used option off, then force the selection type to In+. However, once I did this I tried to revert to last used, the selection setting of In+ still stuck every time I created a toolpath. So, had to turn last used off again, set selection back to In, then turn last used back on.

I had a similar problem, this was how I fixed it as well. .  👍

9 minutes ago, TERRYH said:

Yesterday I did a set of 4 small similar parts that had bottom and top work and I wanted to use the same tooling on all 4 so after the first one I just imported all the toolpaths like I've done for years and it worked as it should no issues. BUT this morning it's a different story, started a second set of 4 did the first went to import stuff for the 2nd one and the operations were out of order I had bottom mill, bottom drill top mill and top drill, when I imported they were reversed was top mill, top drill, bottom mill, bottom drill.  Not sure what has changed between yesterday and today. But I went ahead and imported the bottom operations and they came in correct, then I did the top so they would be in correct order, and they came in ok and it looked correct, but when I hit save it crashed MC after it restarted I did it again and same results it crashed. To make it work I had to import it in being out of order and then rearrange the operations to be correct. Not sure WTH is going on but man really regretting moving away from 2019......

are you using multiple groups?

there is an issue when importing from multiple groups with operations out of sequence...

https://forum.mastercam.com/Topic42483.aspx#43381

43 minutes ago, TERRYH said:

Yes I have 4 groups like I said a bottom mill and drill and a top mill and drill. but like I said I used it 3 times yesterday with no issues. and then this morning it's messed up. and like my thread title says 2022 not impressed. 

Yeah, the performance is inconsistent, sometimes they import out of order.

You could try running this macro for importing all the operations from a file using netscripting.dll included with mastercam 2022 . I attached it as a text file as well.

I haven't had any issues importing this way..

//#r"C:/Program Files/Mastercam 2022/Mastercam/NETHook3_0.dll"
using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;
using System.Threading;
using System.Drawing;
using System.Windows.Forms;
using System.Globalization;
using System.IO;
using System.Runtime.InteropServices;
//get the active machine group
var activeGroup = Mastercam.Support.GroupManager.GetActiveMachineGroup();

if (activeGroup == null)
{
    activeGroup = Mastercam.Support.GroupManager.NewGroup(Mastercam.Support.MachineDefManager.GetCurrentMachineType());
}
[StructLayout(LayoutKind.Sequential, CharSet = CharSet.Auto)]
public class OpenFileName
{
    public int structSize = 0;

public IntPtr dlgOwner = IntPtr.Zero;

public IntPtr instance = IntPtr.Zero;

public String filter = null;

public String customFilter = null;

public int maxCustFilter = 0;

public int filterIndex = 0;

public String file = null;

public int maxFile = 0;

public String fileTitle = null;

public int maxFileTitle = 0;

public String initialDir = null;

public String title = null;

public int flags = 0;

public short fileOffset = 0;

public short fileExtension = 0;

public String defExt = null;

public IntPtr custData = IntPtr.Zero;

public IntPtr hook = IntPtr.Zero;

public String templateName = null;

public IntPtr reservedPtr = IntPtr.Zero;

public int reservedInt = 0;

public int flagsEx = 0;
}

public class LibWrap
{
    [DllImport("Comdlg32.dll", CharSet = CharSet.Auto)]
    public static extern bool GetOpenFileName([In, Out] OpenFileName ofn);
}

if (activeGroup != null)
{
    //instantiate the open file dialog class

OpenFileName ofn = new OpenFileName();

//default parameters

//allocate memory
    ofn.structSize = Marshal.SizeOf(ofn);
    //set more params
    ofn.file = new String(new char[256]);
    //set more params
    ofn.maxFile = ofn.file.Length;
    //set more params
    ofn.fileTitle = new String(new char[64]);
    //set more params
    ofn.maxFileTitle = ofn.fileTitle.Length;

//user defined popup window title
    ofn.title = "Select a mastercam file to import";
    //starting directory
    ofn.initialDir = Mastercam.IO.SettingsManager.SharedDirectory;
    //file extension
    ofn.defExt = "mcam";
    //Set the file extension filter
    ofn.filter = "Mcam files\0*.mcam";
    //stlfile path container
    var mcamFilePath = String.Empty;
    //open the file
    if (LibWrap.GetOpenFileName(ofn))
    {
        mcamFilePath = ofn.file;
    }
    if(mcamFilePath != null)
    {
        if (mcamFilePath != String.Empty)
        {
            if (System.IO.File.Exists(mcamFilePath))
            {
                Mastercam.Operations.OperationsManager.ImportOptions importSettings = new Mastercam.Operations.OperationsManager.ImportOptions();
                //Gets a value indicating whether the feeds and speed should be calculated.
                importSettings.CalcFeedsAndSpeed = false;
                importSettings.CaseSensitiveNameMatch = false;
                //Gets a value indicating whether the name match on the Operation Name is case sensitive or not.
                importSettings.DisableDuplicateToolCheck = true;
                //Gets or sets a value indicating whether or not to check to see if a "matching" tool already exists in the part file and if found use it.
                importSettings.FilePath = mcamFilePath;
                //Gets or sets a value indicating whether any associated geometry will also be imported with the operation.
                importSettings.ImportOperationGeometry = false;
                //Gets or sets a value indicating whether any groups be imported with the operation.
                importSettings.ImportOperationGroups = true;
                //Gets or sets a value indicating whether any associated operation (toolpath) groups will also be imported with the operation.
                importSettings.OperationID = 0;
                //Gets or sets the operation ID of the operation to import (if not importing "by name").
                importSettings.OperationName = "";
                //Gets or sets the name of the operation to import (if OperationID = 0).
                importSettings.SetOpViewsToCurrentSystemViews = false;
                //Gets or sets a value indicating whether the imported operation will have its views reset to the current system view on import.
                var operations = Mastercam.Operations.OperationsManager.ImportAllOperations(importSettings);
            }
        }
    }
}

Net-Scripting.png.dba4ad1d36ca3b1223dbf3dbf8fe0c28.png

590644412_runNet-Scripting.png.a390dea91f45dc25da94df60b94c1122.png

Dialog.thumb.png.06f4b2c3f0e112014cf98e97efb47bd5.png

1154819070_importedops.png.917d2d70cff9fb477c56c1d1930b98d6.png

Import All Ops From File.csx

29 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Yeah, the performance is inconsistent, sometimes they import out of order.

You could try running this macro for importing all the operations from a file using netscripting.dll included with mastercam 2022 . I attached it as a text file as well.

I haven't had any issues importing this way..

//#r"C:/Program Files/Mastercam 2022/Mastercam/NETHook3_0.dll"
using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;
using System.Threading;
using System.Drawing;
using System.Windows.Forms;
using System.Globalization;
using System.IO;
using System.Runtime.InteropServices;
//get the active machine group
var activeGroup = Mastercam.Support.GroupManager.GetActiveMachineGroup();

if (activeGroup == null)
{
    activeGroup = Mastercam.Support.GroupManager.NewGroup(Mastercam.Support.MachineDefManager.GetCurrentMachineType());
}
[StructLayout(LayoutKind.Sequential, CharSet = CharSet.Auto)]
public class OpenFileName
{
    public int structSize = 0;

public IntPtr dlgOwner = IntPtr.Zero;

public IntPtr instance = IntPtr.Zero;

public String filter = null;

public String customFilter = null;

public int maxCustFilter = 0;

public int filterIndex = 0;

public String file = null;

public int maxFile = 0;

public String fileTitle = null;

public int maxFileTitle = 0;

public String initialDir = null;

public String title = null;

public int flags = 0;

public short fileOffset = 0;

public short fileExtension = 0;

public String defExt = null;

public IntPtr custData = IntPtr.Zero;

public IntPtr hook = IntPtr.Zero;

public String templateName = null;

public IntPtr reservedPtr = IntPtr.Zero;

public int reservedInt = 0;

public int flagsEx = 0;
}

public class LibWrap
{
    [DllImport("Comdlg32.dll", CharSet = CharSet.Auto)]
    public static extern bool GetOpenFileName([In, Out] OpenFileName ofn);
}

if (activeGroup != null)
{
    //instantiate the open file dialog class

OpenFileName ofn = new OpenFileName();

//default parameters

//allocate memory
    ofn.structSize = Marshal.SizeOf(ofn);
    //set more params
    ofn.file = new String(new char[256]);
    //set more params
    ofn.maxFile = ofn.file.Length;
    //set more params
    ofn.fileTitle = new String(new char[64]);
    //set more params
    ofn.maxFileTitle = ofn.fileTitle.Length;

//user defined popup window title
    ofn.title = "Select a mastercam file to import";
    //starting directory
    ofn.initialDir = Mastercam.IO.SettingsManager.SharedDirectory;
    //file extension
    ofn.defExt = "mcam";
    //Set the file extension filter
    ofn.filter = "Mcam files\0*.mcam";
    //stlfile path container
    var mcamFilePath = String.Empty;
    //open the file
    if (LibWrap.GetOpenFileName(ofn))
    {
        mcamFilePath = ofn.file;
    }
    if(mcamFilePath != null)
    {
        if (mcamFilePath != String.Empty)
        {
            if (System.IO.File.Exists(mcamFilePath))
            {
                Mastercam.Operations.OperationsManager.ImportOptions importSettings = new Mastercam.Operations.OperationsManager.ImportOptions();
                importSettings.CalcFeedsAndSpeed = false;
                importSettings.CaseSensitiveNameMatch = false;
                //Gets a value indicating whether the name match on the Operation Name is case sensitive or not.
                importSettings.DisableDuplicateToolCheck = true;
                //Gets or sets a value indicating whether or not to check to see if a "matching" tool already exists in the part file and if found use it.
                importSettings.FilePath = mcamFilePath;
                //Gets or sets a value indicating whether any associated geometry will also be imported with the operation.
                importSettings.ImportOperationGeometry = false;
                //Gets or sets a value indicating whether any groups be imported with the operation.
                importSettings.ImportOperationGroups = true;
                //Gets or sets a value indicating whether any associated operation (toolpath) groups will also be imported with the operation.
                importSettings.OperationID = 0;
                //Gets or sets the operation ID of the operation to import (if not importing "by name").
                importSettings.OperationName = "";
                //Gets or sets the name of the operation to import (if OperationID = 0).
                importSettings.SetOpViewsToCurrentSystemViews = false;
                //Gets or sets a value indicating whether the imported operation will have its views reset to the current system view on import.
                var operations = Mastercam.Operations.OperationsManager.ImportAllOperations(importSettings);
            }
        }
    }
}

Net-Scripting.png.dba4ad1d36ca3b1223dbf3dbf8fe0c28.png

590644412_runNet-Scripting.png.a390dea91f45dc25da94df60b94c1122.png

Dialog.thumb.png.06f4b2c3f0e112014cf98e97efb47bd5.png

1154819070_importedops.png.917d2d70cff9fb477c56c1d1930b98d6.png

Import All Ops From File.csx

Peter the CSX has this at the start and the code above doesn't.

Does that matter?

1 hour ago, crazy^millman said:

Peter the CSX has this at the start and the code above doesn't.

Does that matter?

It must be a formatting thing, no the above line won't do anything, you can follow the code from the post to a t,

the file just has the same code copy pasted inside .

59 minutes ago, TERRYH said:

It doesn't bother me at all to get used to new things but when stuff is broke, don't work and more clicks are added,

Absolutely!  agree  and when previous innovative conveniences are ignored and thrown out it becomes retarded .

like if u want to change depth at point on an individual point of a drill set... it used to carry forward the actual setting in the field for u to modify. Now it comes up with a fat zero to help u out! same goes in many places. 

once the point was modified it used to grey the depth field to show that something was modified... now there is no evidence.

I could run a fricking class on how things are worse now and how not to screw up a program ... I'd have material for a year easy.

Fish in a barrel.

• Like 1
On 10/13/2021 at 1:22 PM, gcode said:

you have got your config file saved in a one drive folder

that can cause all sorts of trouble.

Possibly. My experience is likely not the same even though I store my critical files and folders on a network drive. Intranet, so it isn't like I am running through OneDrive or Google Drive services to generate the file. I do however sometimes run part files from a Google Drive. No way in heck I would want to have my config file or machine ladder files stored on GDrive for the reasons you are intimating. Getting settings to stick is hard enough without adding that massive variable.

Issues? I haven't had any. I could probably change this to be a local copy now that I do 99% of my work on a single workstation and I am close to the machines now.

I dunno, I feel like this exact same thread gets pulled up out of the heap of ashes every single Mastercam release since I have been a part of. People freaked out when 2017 came along. In the end everyone adapted and it is arguably a better piece of software. Prove me wrong.

Anywho, the main enhancements I look for when updating software is ENHANCEMENTS. If a few things get broken along the way then so be it, report them to QC and they will get resolved when they push the first update. OR be a BETA TESTER so your input is actually taken into account, I dunno, before a worldwide release of the software. I get it, things should just work and when they don't work as we expect them to then we get pissed off and say "mastercam is the worst piece ever"...but it isn't.

Lets look at this objectively. Mastercam 2022 is a major release IMO and it is well worth the cost of admission to upgrade. For example, Unified Multiaxis is now my go to strategy when creating multaixis toolpaths. It just makes life easy. That is a massive efficiency gain. There might be some small niggles in the software that are frustrating or broken but not enough to make me consider going back to 2021.

Same thing with Multiaxis Deburr. I no longer even bother creating a custom deburr or 5-axis chamfer toolpath because Deburr now allows me to add true fillets and chamfers. And it automates the crap out of it so that I am saving countless programming minutes by NOT having to create a morph or parallel with a custom tool axis control strategy. It just works (mostly).

What else...all the massive enhancements to 3D high speed linking. All the control I have always wanted in those parameters are now there. Thank god. Makes programming those toolpaths way more effective and less air cutting.

Something else I haven't even dipped my toes in but know will be huge is Automatic Chaining Regions. That one looks promising but I haven't had time to dive in yet. Even just the basic 2D Contour enhancements make it worth it to upgrade.

Things like toolpath manager colors...yea they changed it finally and I think it is way better. Now the colors and icons actually mean something to me. But someone who is used to the "old style" toolpath manager might hate it but it might just take some getting used to.

Anyone can find something to complain about if they look hard enough. Am I being too optimistic here? I really feel like 2022 was a very good upgrade that added a heck of a lot of functionality

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
22 minutes ago, Metallic said:

all the massive enhancements to 3D high speed linking. All the control I have always wanted in those parameters are now there. Thank god. Makes programming those toolpaths way more effective and less air cutting.

Amen !!!  this is a high speed waterline finishing Inconel with tool inspection every 15 minutes.

The brown lines are G01 F300 air moves and tool inspection retracts.

Prior to MC2022 a toolpath like this was A LOT of work  

This is 4 drive surfaces, 2 avoidance surfaces and one containment boundary.

hs waterline.jpg

• Like 5
20 hours ago, Metallic said:

I dunno, I feel like this exact same thread gets pulled up out of the heap of ashes every single Mastercam release since I have been a part of. People freaked out when 2017 came along. In the end everyone adapted and it is arguably a better piece of software. Prove me wrong.

Anywho, the main enhancements I look for when updating software is ENHANCEMENTS. If a few things get broken along the way then so be it, report them to QC and they will get resolved when they push the first update. OR be a BETA TESTER so your input is actually taken into account, I dunno, before a worldwide release of the software. I get it, things should just work and when they don't work as we expect them to then we get pissed off and say "mastercam is the worst piece ever"...but it isn't.

Lets look at this objectively. Mastercam 2022 is a major release IMO and it is well worth the cost of admission to upgrade. For example, Unified Multiaxis is now my go to strategy when creating multaixis toolpaths. It just makes life easy. That is a massive efficiency gain. There might be some small niggles in the software that are frustrating or broken but not enough to make me consider going back to 2021.

Same thing with Multiaxis Deburr. I no longer even bother creating a custom deburr or 5-axis chamfer toolpath because Deburr now allows me to add true fillets and chamfers. And it automates the crap out of it so that I am saving countless programming minutes by NOT having to create a morph or parallel with a custom tool axis control strategy. It just works (mostly).

What else...all the massive enhancements to 3D high speed linking. All the control I have always wanted in those parameters are now there. Thank god. Makes programming those toolpaths way more effective and less air cutting.

Something else I haven't even dipped my toes in but know will be huge is Automatic Chaining Regions. That one looks promising but I haven't had time to dive in yet. Even just the basic 2D Contour enhancements make it worth it to upgrade.

Things like toolpath manager colors...yea they changed it finally and I think it is way better. Now the colors and icons actually mean something to me. But someone who is used to the "old style" toolpath manager might hate it but it might just take some getting used to.

Anyone can find something to complain about if they look hard enough. Am I being too optimistic here? I really feel like 2022 was a very good upgrade that added a heck of a lot of functionality

For the type of work we do we found issues in 2020 and 2021 so we stayed with 2019 because it seemed to be a solid platform for our type of work, our reseller who have helped us out a ton only has to support back 3 versions so we had to move up to 2022 or it would have been stupid to continue to pay our maintenance fee every year. And like I said my biggest complaint was all the added clicks  when there was a drop down window for something there was no need IMO to move it to its own button. Also like I said we use wireframe for a lot of stuff boundaries and such and I change stuff like colors so that when I give our operators a picture and a program description I can say cuts "blue" area picture 3 and he can tell exactly what and where its going to go. but when you change entity attributes if I was doing it by color diameter wireframe or whatever it stayed on color until I changed it now you have to reselect what you want every single time, that's what I was talking about initially. But after using it more now we've slowly found other issues and you don't have to look hard to find them. We like MasterCam and fought our owner several years ago to keep it when he was looking to switch software, it is far from "the worst piece ever" . 

• Like 1

Mastercam 2022 has been great for me, model prep push-pull across multiple bodies makes all the older versions unusable in comparison for modeling.

The import & regeneration times on toolpaths are also more than 100 times faster for nested wireframe toolpaths, which can be a big time saver.

The automatic air regions and containment regions for open 2d pockets is also a really great feature, that saves me a lot of time.

On 10/13/2021 at 4:51 AM, TERRYH said:

Is there a way to make this stay as you set it and not change after one use, it's driving me nuts. In 2019 once you set it to in+ it stayed that way for the entire session, now you set it use it to do something and it goes back, I am doing lettering on a mold where my supervisor likes us to do each one individually to help get rid of so many scallops and I got to set it for every damn toolpath. 🤬

in+.png

I had not seen this issue during use or training and just did some testing on few files. has not changed unless I close Mastercam.
I surely see this driving me crazy for sure. but as you can see a few of us tested no issues it sticks.

1 hour ago, Jayson Kramer-CNC Software said:

I had not seen this issue during use or training and just did some testing on few files. has not changed unless I close Mastercam.
I surely see this driving me crazy for sure. but as you can see a few of us tested no issues it sticks.

Are you testing in a toolpath or just general selection? 

I find it will not stick if you are toolpathing. General selection, works fine. I can't be bothered to send it to QC, I'm already emailing them too much. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, mwearne said:

Are you testing in a toolpath or just general selection? 

I find it will not stick if you are toolpathing. General selection, works fine. I can't be bothered to send it to QC, I'm already emailing them too much. 

I'm finding the same thing.

I did this a while back and didn't bother to post about it because I figured everyone understood what he was doing.   I guess I should have chimed in. 

To add an example for clarity - if you create a few separate lines of text (or what ever), create a contour path like you're going to engrave. Set the selection to in + then select geometry. When you go to create a second contour the setting reverts back to std window.  

Just out of curiosity what types of work are people doing and using 2022 on that seem to not be finding the issues we are, are you doing production type work or tool and die type stuff. We do several different types of molds, trim dies, form dies and assembly and check fixtures. just wondering if we are seeing different issues because of how and what we do compared to others. 

As I continue to work in 2022, I'm finding a number of instability issues. When I hit save, mastercam often will 'blitz' my operations, and I'll have to hit regeneration.  In fact, mastercam seems to blitz my operations for no discernible reason, forcing me to regenerate them repeatedly. But the more annoying instability issue is when I save my file and mastercam will actually untrim surfaces. It did that to one punch I was working on and it was so bad, I just deleted it and re-read the part in. Then it did it to me again yesterday, and I couldn't figure out why my simulation was suddenly finding all kinds of collisions until I got up close and found 8 untrimmed surfaces that had suddenly appeared in my model. I sent that one to my reseller, but haven't heard back from them.

A lot of days, 2022 will slow down so much on me, that I close it to clear out whatever is going on internally, and that seems to 'fix' it for awhile. Running RAM saver doesn't seem to fix it like just shutting it down, sigh...

Import is bad in 2022. It will have surfaces and wireframe 'pre-selected', and I'm never sure if they are from the imported file or the current one, so I just delete and then reselect. And I wonder if the instability issues are related to my constant use of 'import' or if it's something else....

It's this kind of crap that gives mastercam a black eye for those of us who don't care about bells and whistles. I want a cam system that runs smoothly and does what I need it to do, not one that I have to fight and constantly be on the look out for issues and find workarounds to them. I'm back in 2019 this morning for a massive, lower receiver trim die that I just started. It has 24,000 surfaces in it, and I just don't have time to fight the instability issues on a file this big. I'll stay in 2022 for most stuff and hope, CNC Software will fix these things before the 3rd update when they wash their hands of this version and move on to 2023 for more bells and whistles, yippee!!!...sigh...😖

sharles,, any chance you have auto save enabled?

I have found that massive files and an autosave do not play well together

Autosave is trying to write a copy of the file... your are still working, making changes to the file  and bad things happen.

I've run 700 meg files in 2022 with zero issue, but we have a very fast network and I never use autosave

I'd also look at memory allocation in system config

• Like 1