Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Horizontal Finishing Entry

JB7280

34 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

Is there a way to control where the entry point is on a Horizontal toolpath?  I have an open area I'm finishing with it, and I'd like to enter off of the part, if possible.

I'm pretty sure Horizontal Area is designed to "ramp" down onto the part, using one, or more, depth cuts. You really can't tell it to "start off the part".

Your best bet, if you require the control, is to use a 2D HST Path. Of course, this requires creating a bunch of extra 2D boundaries, so you have "cut geometry", "avoidance geometry", and "air geometry". The "air" geometry signals to the path, where the tool can "approach from the outside". You do have to use the "from outside" cutting strategy.

1 hour ago, JB7280 said:

Thank you.  I'm just trying to find some different, or more efficient ways of doing things, rather than just making several contours paths for 1 feature.

5 Axis toolpaths can be used in 3 Axis if you have a 5 Axis license. No filtering of the toolpaths, but they offer good options for finishing parts.

I have used pocket for years to finish flat areas. I make a little entry chain off a surface for the tool to enter in and use start from outside. Pick that area and the endmill still start in there.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

5 Axis toolpaths can be used in 3 Axis if you have a 5 Axis license. No filtering of the toolpaths, but they offer good options for finishing parts.

I have used pocket for years to finish flat areas. I make a little entry chain off a surface for the tool to enter in and use start from outside. Pick that area and the endmill still start in there.

Multiaxis pocketing?  I'll give that a try.  Thanks for the suggestion Ron.  Will that work if the pocket has raised islands/bosses as well?

6 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

Multiaxis pocketing?  I'll give that a try.  Thanks for the suggestion Ron.  Will that work if the pocket has raised islands/bosses as well?

No I was thinking morph between 2 curves, triangular mesh and parallel. Multiaxis pocket will not work in 3 axis. 4 Axis yes, but 3 Axis not a way I am aware of.

6 hours ago, JB7280 said:

I know it sounds petty, but I generally don't like using the dynamic toolpaths as a finish toolpath, for nothing other than cosmetic reasons.  Kinda bugs me if the finish passes aren't uniform, lol.

The 2d HST toolpaths do fine for finishing with a decent pattern similar to pocket, just use area mill instead of dynamic under pattern.

What am I missing?

1 hour ago, huskermcdoogle said:

The 2d HST toolpaths do fine for finishing with a decent pattern similar to pocket, just use area mill instead of dynamic under pattern.

What am I missing?

I usually am happy with the toolpath you get from area mill, but I don't like that you don't have any control of the entry point, without making extra geometry (that I know of, anyways) And I try not to use the vertical arc entry, as some of our older machines can't afford the extra code. and if you just set them to 0 it comes in right at the edge of the part, with no clearance.  I know I could make extra geometry, and that's usually what I do, but I'm trying to eliminate the extra steps, when possible.

53 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

Is there a trick to getting it to start outside?  Or to cut the whole face?

hybrid.thumb.jpg.b53346eeac81c9befd1d3e2d48252004.jpg

its probably a boundary from the toolpath control page preventing that path from cutting the entire surface. Also sometimes i also turn off Optimize cut order to get a slightly different result from Hybrid set to flats only as well.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, JoshC said:

its probably a boundary from the toolpath control page preventing that path from cutting the entire surface. Also sometimes i also turn off Optimize cut order to get a slightly different result from Hybrid set to flats only as well.

I've got a wireframe boundary picked that's well outside of the face to be cut, aside from that wall on the left.  

Something is funky with your chaining.  It works great for me from outside.

Select the face you want to cut as the machining region.  You can do that by either selecting the face, or the outer boundary of the face you want to cut, think in terms of the actual area you want to cut including any islands.  when you select a face, the island won't be included, but you don't need them to be.  

Then select all the avoidance geo.  The areas you don't want to cut, they can be inside of or outside of you machining boundary.  You can use solid faces or wireframe. 

No need for a containment boundary outside.

The select from outside for the machining region strategy.  if you preview you should have blue indicating air cut area, outside of the red hashed cut area, with blank zones where you want to avoid.

19 minutes ago, huskermcdoogle said:

Something is funky with your chaining.  It works great for me from outside.

Select the face you want to cut as the machining region.  You can do that by either selecting the face, or the outer boundary of the face you want to cut, think in terms of the actual area you want to cut including any islands.  when you select a face, the island won't be included, but you don't need them to be.  

Then select all the avoidance geo.  The areas you don't want to cut, they can be inside of or outside of you machining boundary.  You can use solid faces or wireframe. 

No need for a containment boundary outside.

The select from outside for the machining region strategy.  if you preview you should have blue indicating air cut area, outside of the red hashed cut area, with blank zones where you want to avoid.

That screenshot was with 3D > Hybrid.  You're referring to area mill, right?  I like the toolpath from area mill, I just don't like how the tool comes in right at the edge of the part.  For instance, on this part there is still stock on the walls.  There's no way to extend that without using arc entry, or extra geometry, is there?  My question isn't necessarily about THIS part.  These types of features just seem like they always take a little more work than they should, for a simple feature.