Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Looking for suggestions

So not a Guru

We do aerospace parts, I struggle with these types of features all the time. I have a 6mm cutter with 1mm corner radius. It seems like it should be fairly simple to cut the green faces, using the yellow face as a floor. I often try to create surfaces, untrim them, project geometry on them & retrim them. But as often as not, I cannot create them correctly.

I keep thinking that with the new unified 5X path I should be able to do this easier.

How do y'all approach things of this nature?

SWARF.mcam

21 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Zeke, sorry onsite for a customer and was waiting for a long crunch time and model prepped this and put a toolpath to it. Can't give you more thought that to try a taper ball endmill.

5th Axis Take on this

How did you accomplish the model prep? I can never seem to remove most of the features, I can't even come close to what you've done here!:respect:

1 hour ago, Newbeeee™ said:

I've always found the best way to manipulate the models, is as you say.

Remove fillets and then go from there.

The exact opposite of model creation, which is create fillets last.

Fillets are almost always the issue when things get ugly  so dig deep they are usually  lurking around when 2d doesn't  play well with solids.

:cheers:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

I think some Model Prep review, and putting a couple 5-Axis Paths on this part, would be a good exercise for this weekend on YouTube. I will see how much I can cover in a couple hours. I know Advanced Drill is another requested topic, but playing with this part is just too fun Zeke...

Yeah, once Ron got me pointed in the right direction, I discovered quite a few new tricks!  :detective:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

I think some Model Prep review, and putting a couple 5-Axis Paths on this part, would be a good exercise for this weekend on YouTube. I will see how much I can cover in a couple hours. I know Advanced Drill is another requested topic, but playing with this part is just too fun Zeke...

Let me know what time, if you decide to do a live stream. I've got some welding to do tomorrow morning, but hopefully it won't take to long.

On 10/22/2021 at 3:26 PM, So not a Guru said:

Yeah, once Ron got me pointed in the right direction, I discovered quite a few new tricks!  :detective:

Well that was kind of the idea. On-site I will program something to a point and then make the programmer I am teaching finish it out. I program it complete and leave them nothing to do they don’t learn as much. Kind of my thinking here so it let you see the results and now you are able to figure it out and do it yourself. Mission accomplished. 

’ 

• Like 2
On 10/22/2021 at 6:31 PM, So not a Guru said:

Let me know what time, if you decide to do a live stream. I've got some welding to do tomorrow morning, but hopefully it won't take to long.

I ended up doing a bunch of moving prep, and visited with my son in the hospital on Sunday. I'll put some time aside this coming weekend (either Saturday the 30th, or Sunday the 31st), to do a live session. Is there one of those days which works better for you Zeke?

I'm thinking around 1:00-2:00 PM, on either of those days...

• Like 3
Just now, Colin Gilchrist said:

I ended up doing a bunch of moving prep, and visited with my son in the hospital on Sunday. I'll put some time aside this coming weekend (either Saturday the 30th, or Sunday the 31st), to do a live session. Is there one of those days which works better for you Zeke?

I'm thinking around 1:00-2:00 PM, on either of those days...

Either one will work for me. I am really excited about this, it's a functionality I haven't explored before.

• Like 3