Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2022 Line Perpendicular

Slepydremr

Anyone else having trouble in 2022 creating a line perpendicular to the end of another line?

Every time I try clicking the end of this line I want to be perpendicular to, it then asks me to pick an offset direction and when I do the line moves, it's not snapping or staying where it's supposed to.

perpendicular.mcam

perpendicular_1.thumb.jpg.d9579019ea2c0d919ef3b9ba310dc442.jpgperpendicular_2.thumb.jpg.ba98b3c278f882b51ceed157fd73fb87.jpg

Is there a snap setting somewhere I've missed?

Thanks in advance.

No, you haven't missed anything.

These seems "broken" in 2022.

I exported the geometry as STEP and Parasolid, and this is working as expected, in Mastercam 2021.

Normally, for Perpendicular line creation, we use the following steps:

1. Open the Line-Perp function
  2. (default is set to "point" mode)
  3. Click on the entity you want to construct a line perpendicular to
  4. Click on the Anchor Point, where you expect the line to "start"
  5. (Mastercam now "locks on" to this anchor point)
  6. You can now move your cursor to one-side, or the-other-side, of the line, and "Stretch out" a Perpendicular line, from that anchor point
  7. (If you've got a "line length locked" on the function panel, then you only get to swap-sides, as you move your cursor to one side of the line, or the other)

This works perfectly in 2021, but in 2022, the "anchor point" never gets 'locked in'. It seems to "still float", which prevents you from accurately placing the line.

• Thanks 2

EDIT:

It seems to be related to your 3rd Position Plane.

I took the wireframe, and performed a "Translate Plane to Plane" from '3rd Position', back to 'System Top View'.

With your original geometry, now moved and reoriented to the Top Plane, the function works as expected.

I also tried making a new Plane, using one of the Arcs, of the original geometry. No-Go.

Mastercam 2022 doesn't like using that geometry in 3D Space, for some reason. I tried a couple of different "new Plane orientations", with different directions for the XY axes, but still No-Go.

4 minutes ago, Jespertech said:

I was able to get it to stick to that end point once I changed the WCS ,C , T plane from "3rd position" to "TOP".

But I don't know why that would make a difference in this situation. 

Yes, there is something really wonky going on with using Line-Perp, using a Non-System Plane, in 2022.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

EDIT:

It seems to be related to your 3rd Position Plane.

I took the wireframe, and performed a "Translate Plane to Plane" from '3rd Position', back to 'System Top View'.

With your original geometry, now moved and reoriented to the Top Plane, the function works as expected.

I also tried making a new Plane, using one of the Arcs, of the original geometry. No-Go.

Mastercam 2022 doesn't like using that geometry in 3D Space, for some reason. I tried a couple of different "new Plane orientations", with different directions for the XY axes, but still No-Go.

Yes, there is something really wonky going on with using Line-Perp, using a Non-System Plane, in 2022.

update 2, currently in beta addresses this issue

• Like 4