Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machine Simulation

Hello everyone,

I already had the solid models for my Horizontal machine + index attached to it.  I would like to look for someone who can create Machine Simulation files for me to simulate.  I did ask my dealer but he stated that IMPOSIBILITY company demand my company to purchase post + machine simulation.  However, we already have post for it.  The post itself it costs us $2,500 we can't just purchase another post + machine simulation.

If any of you guys know where I can get only machine simulation service company, let me know so I can request my company to purchase from.  Deal's debate was the machine simulation is tight to the post and that is not very convince able.  I used to use the machine only without the post, it worked fine.  When on the machine simulation crash, it means outside crash as well.  I think nowadays dealers are must making harder for end users to get what they need not what dealer want (more money charge). 

ps: I already had the solid models, all I need is a person to create the machine simulation.

Thanks

23 minutes ago, SLuong said:

Hello everyone,

I already had the solid models for my Horizontal machine + index attached to it.  I would like to look for someone who can create Machine Simulation files for me to simulate.  I did ask my dealer but he stated that IMPOSIBILITY company demand my company to purchase post + machine simulation.  However, we already have post for it.  The post itself it costs us $2,500 we can't just purchase another post + machine simulation.

If any of you guys know where I can get only machine simulation service company, let me know so I can request my company to purchase from.  Deal's debate was the machine simulation is tight to the post and that is not very convince able.  I used to use the machine only without the post, it worked fine.  When on the machine simulation crash, it means outside crash as well.  I think nowadays dealers are must making harder for end users to get what they need not what dealer want (more money charge). 

ps: I already had the solid models, all I need is a person to create the machine simulation.

Thanks

Hi Steven, 

send me an email to [email protected] I am sure we can accomodate you with a horizontal machine for mastercam simulation.

25 minutes ago, SLuong said:

Hello everyone,

Thanks

Tying a post to Machine Simulation comes at cost from Moduleworks now. Blame the dealer all you want, but it is not coming form them it is coming from Moduleworks. Since the original post was not tied to it then yes having to do it all over again with one tied to it could mean repurchasing the whole thing. Building a machine is easy. Take a default machine and copy it to a new folder. Then merge all the STL files in a Mastercam file where you have your machine saved. Then open that machine through the Machinesim and edit it's name to something different than the original one used. Then adjust the travel limits and centers of rotation as needed and done. Not tied to a post, but at least you built your machine. 

• Like 1

Well said Ron!! 

Building a machine is easy, the youtube video tutorial from cam instructor helped me a lot to build my first one!!

From there you can just open a horizontal machine that ships with mastercam and get the layout from that.

9 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Tying a post to Machine Simulation comes at cost from Moduleworks now. Blame the dealer all you want, but it is not coming form them it is coming from Moduleworks. Since the original post was not tied to it then yes having to do it all over again with one tied to it could mean repurchasing the whole thing. 

Hmmmm, so mw has some products related to extending posts and machine sim, but thats just an option you can buy from them, doesn't mastercam machine sim already have colliders by default ? 😕

19 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Hmmmm, so mw has some products related to extending posts and machine sim, but thats just an option you can buy from them, doesn't mastercam machine sim already have colliders by default ? 😕

Colliders is a completely different conversation. Problem is retract and other things controlled by the post and not controlled by NCI. That is where a lo of the false collisions occur in Machinesim that go away when correctly tied to a Post.

• Like 5
On 11/4/2021 at 2:10 PM, SLuong said:

Hello everyone,

Thanks

There are two different types of Machine Simulation:

1. Generic, running the NCI Data only. No real knowledge of any "linking moves" or machine kinematics. Sure, you can build a simple "Machine Simulation" that will work for about 80-90% of regular Mastercam. But it won't be 100%.
  2. A "Machine Simulation Enabled Post Processor". This is where a Post Developer "adds code", to drive the Machine Simulation. This is "separate NC Output". It is not G-Code based. It is "Moduleworks Centerline Tool Data, and Machine Motion Commands". This couples the "Post output" with the "Machine Simulation Output". and gives you about 96% accuracy. If you add some crazy custom code to "make a machine approach move", you would also have to modify the MWCL output code, to "tell Simulation to show that same motion". But this does go far, far, beyond what a "non-Simulation" Post Processor can do.

You say you've "paid $2,500 for a Post already", but your current purchased Post Processor is not "Simulation-Ready". There is a massive amount of code which must not only be added to a regular Post, but you've also got to test both the "NC Code Output", and the "MWCL Simulation", and tweak each if necessary.

Starting with Mastercam 2022, if you want to run a "Simulation enabled Post Processor", you actually must purchase a Simulation License Module, because there is a revenue split between CNC Software and Moduleworks.

You can still get someone to build you a "generic simulation", but it isn't the same thing as a Reseller selling you a Post/Simulator (tied-together), and it is very much worth the money to have working software. It also means that anyone who wants to run a "Post/Simulation" combo, must purchase a license to do so. (This license is not required to run Generic Machine Simulation, as far as I know.)

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
On 11/5/2021 at 9:12 AM, SLuong said:

Thank you, I just emailed you.

I sent you a reply with a quote on saturday, let me know if you didn't get it. Sometimes messages end up in the spam folder with gmail i noticed.

• 1 year later...
On 11/6/2021 at 2:21 AM, Colin Gilchrist said:

There are two different types of Machine Simulation:

1. Generic, running the NCI Data only. No real knowledge of any "linking moves" or machine kinematics. Sure, you can build a simple "Machine Simulation" that will work for about 80-90% of regular Mastercam. But it won't be 100%.
  2. A "Machine Simulation Enabled Post Processor". This is where a Post Developer "adds code", to drive the Machine Simulation. This is "separate NC Output". It is not G-Code based. It is "Moduleworks Centerline Tool Data, and Machine Motion Commands". This couples the "Post output" with the "Machine Simulation Output". and gives you about 96% accuracy. If you add some crazy custom code to "make a machine approach move", you would also have to modify the MWCL output code, to "tell Simulation to show that same motion". But this does go far, far, beyond what a "non-Simulation" Post Processor can do.

You say you've "paid $2,500 for a Post already", but your current purchased Post Processor is not "Simulation-Ready". There is a massive amount of code which must not only be added to a regular Post, but you've also got to test both the "NC Code Output", and the "MWCL Simulation", and tweak each if necessary.

Starting with Mastercam 2022, if you want to run a "Simulation enabled Post Processor", you actually must purchase a Simulation License Module, because there is a revenue split between CNC Software and Moduleworks.

You can still get someone to build you a "generic simulation", but it isn't the same thing as a Reseller selling you a Post/Simulator (tied-together), and it is very much worth the money to have working software. It also means that anyone who wants to run a "Post/Simulation" combo, must purchase a license to do so. (This license is not required to run Generic Machine Simulation, as far as I know.)

Other than asking my reseller, Is there any way to check whether my Post is coupled to Machine simulator or not? 

7 minutes ago, Shiva.aero said:

My SMC is expired and I don't to disturb them, if there is a simple way to check. That's the reason I asked. 

Resellers are "required" to provide a certain level of support even without a contract..that would seems like a  real easy question to ask them.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Your Post is not coupled to machine simulation, unless you specifically paid for it. You would know if you had it, because it would have been negotiated with the purchase of the Post.

We purchased as "5 axis bundle with post". So I am aware. Till reading this post, I was knowing about  'post linked to machine simulation' option. Also, I never heard such thing with my previous CAM. 

Anyhow, I will reach out to my reseller to find it.  

Thank you. 

My company owns both Esprit CAM and Mastercam. We are in the process of procuring NTX 2000. My management has given me option to purchase 'Millturn module & post' for either Esprit CAM Or Mastercam. 

I am a Esprit Cam user for last 4 years and Mastercam user for last 1 year. Still I prefer Mastercam over Esprit. But after going through this thread, I really worry that my choice might be wrong. 

If post is the only problem, then I can go for Postability Or In-house solution Post. Any suggestion will be much helpful. 

Thank you. 

On 11/17/2022 at 4:32 AM, Shiva.aero said:

My company owns both Esprit CAM and Mastercam. We are in the process of procuring NTX 2000. My management has given me option to purchase 'Millturn module & post' for either Esprit CAM Or Mastercam. 

I am a Esprit Cam user for last 4 years and Mastercam user for last 1 year. Still I prefer Mastercam over Esprit. But after going through this thread, I really worry that my choice might be wrong. 

If post is the only problem, then I can go for Postability Or In-house solution Post. Any suggestion will be much helpful. 

Thank you. 

I believe if you are buying a mill turn like the NTX you will also probably want the Mill-Turn module if you go with mastercam and that is more money and I believe comes with a "machine environment" that includes linked simulation. Either way as mentioned you will need to talk to your reseller.