Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Deep drilling/boring aluminum

I have a part with a 1.850" dia bore approximately 6" deep (flat bottom) in 6061 Al. I am trying to figure out the best method to machine this. My initial thoughts are to drill it with a large diameter (probably carbide insert) dill and then finish it to size with a boring bar (it's a round part so I will likely do this on the lathe). The issue I am having is finding a drill that can go that deep. Also, I will need a large diameter boring bar that is "stiff" enough to avoid taper/chatter. We are trying to do this as economical as possible; however, there are some surface finish requirements (not too deep so I can switch to a second, short setout tool projection, boring bar for those). Any thoughts or tool ideas?

Thanks guys!

15 hours ago, CNC programming questions said:

I have a part with a 1.850" dia bore approximately 6" deep (flat bottom) in 6061 Al. I am trying to figure out the best method to machine this. My initial thoughts are to drill it with a large diameter (probably carbide insert) dill and then finish it to size with a boring bar (it's a round part so I will likely do this on the lathe). The issue I am having is finding a drill that can go that deep. Also, I will need a large diameter boring bar that is "stiff" enough to avoid taper/chatter. We are trying to do this as economical as possible; however, there are some surface finish requirements (not too deep so I can switch to a second, short setout tool projection, boring bar for those). Any thoughts or tool ideas?

Thanks guys!

In the wrong profession if someone thinks those conditions can be done as economical as possible. Reach out to your tool supplier and have them bring in a Tool AE to help you pick out and purchase the correct tools. I have drilled 1.5" holes 50" deep so not sure what you mean cannot find a drill that can drill that hold deep enough. Flat bottom will require some work and with surface finish requirements that make the process factors more expensive.

10 hours ago, preciholemachine said:

We manufacturer of Deep Hole Drilling Machine, Gun Drilling Machine, BTA Drilling Machine, Skiving and Roller and etc. High Performance & Low Maintenance.100% support before and after delivered machines. Call us Now for Quote. More information visit our website www.precihole.com.

GUN DRILLING.jpg

GVN.png

PMTC Series 1000.jpg

Special Purpose Machines 1000.jpg

Special Purpose Machines.png

Let me see $2,000,000 for a machine to machine 10 parts or $500 for tools needed to machine the part? You make the decision really hard, but thanks for sharing with us your machine information we do need it from time to time.

• Haha 2