Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam to floppy disc

clre226

On 11/12/2021 at 3:19 PM, gcode said:

Set Windows File Explorer to view file extensions

Then right click the file and rename it

It still has .nc at the end of the name. So it's saved as PARTNUMBER.mil.nc. When I attempt to pull up the file on the mill it says FILE NOT FOUND. I don't know how to get rid of the .nc extension.

6 minutes ago, clre226 said:

It still has .nc at the end of the name. So it's saved as PARTNUMBER.mil.nc. When I attempt to pull up the file on the mill it says FILE NOT FOUND. I don't know how to get rid of the .nc extension.

Let's say you opened a text file in notepad, then you went save as, you would change the filter to *all files, then type the name and extension you want to use and hit save as.

5 minutes ago, clre226 said:

Make a copy of your program and move copy to 'transfer' file (so you can still open original nc file if needed)

Click on name to change high light the .nc part and re name to .mil

You will get an error message saying you wont be able to open file with that extension....

...go 'pffft I do what I want'

You now have a file that can be transfered 

image.png.1d98ae3240c20b36f83d4eb57d2e8f64.png

4 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Let's say you opened a text file in notepad, then you went save as, you would change the filter to *all files, then type the name and extension you want to use and hit save as.

The problem with this is that extension might not be in the list if it is not recognized.

4 hours ago, AHarrison1 said:

Make a copy of your program and move copy to 'transfer' file (so you can still open original nc file if needed)

Click on name to change high light the .nc part and re name to .mil

You will get an error message saying you wont be able to open file with that extension....

...go 'pffft I do what I want'

You now have a file that can be transfered 

image.png.1d98ae3240c20b36f83d4eb57d2e8f64.png

The problem with this is that extension might not be in the list if it is not recognized.

There is no list in the scenario i presented, the all filter in notepad allows any extension to be appended to the filename, i.e. filename.theebyterules would be valid, the files may become unstable etc. only applies to binary files and such etc not to text format files such as gcode files such as a .nc file, normal naming conventions apply for text format, you can name it anything including no extension at all..

So save it as .nc, then open in notepad, select save as, change the filter to all files, then write whatever extension you want, or do it the way gcode suggested with explorer, both methods solve the problem

A 95 Haas will accept pretty much any file extension. I have Gotek usb emulators in all my old Haas crt machines. Usually I dont even use a file extension. Simply the program number as it is three less characters (.nc) that you have to type in when loading. Real floppy or not it doesn't matter.

• Like 1
On 11/12/2021 at 1:45 PM, clre226 said:

I'm attempting to transfer code to one of our older mills (HAAS VF-3, 1995) and it only has a port for a floppy disc. When I go to save the code on Mastercam I can save it as a .NC file, but the mill only recognizes .MIL files. Any suggestions? 

Attached is a file that I copy my .NC programs to.

O06802