Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Raster extension

JB7280

What's the best way to extend a surfacing toolpath (raster, in this case) so it extends beyond the surface of my part?  In this case, I made a copy of the model, and used push/pull to make a larger version of the model, but I was curious if there's a better/easier way to do this, for cases where changing the model might not be as simple.   Enjoy my terrible screenshot drawing.

RASTER.jpg.e650ff82cd084607c084f50a7e822cee.jpg

1 hour ago, JB7280 said:

What's the best way to extend a surfacing toolpath (raster, in this case) so it extends beyond the surface of my part?  In this case, I made a copy of the model, and used push/pull to make a larger version of the model, but I was curious if there's a better/easier way to do this, for cases where changing the model might not be as simple.   Enjoy my terrible screenshot drawing.

RASTER.jpg.e650ff82cd084607c084f50a7e822cee.jpg

Make surface from solid and then until and then extend. If you want perfect outline then make a fence surface on the edge and offset the fence surface the amount of extension you want. Then you can come back and trim the surface to surface and have a perfect extended surface the exact amount you want. Need to remember with fence you must have a chain on the surface you are creating the fence surface normal to.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Chally72 said:

Perhaps I'm missing something, but is there a reason you wouldn't just add this extension in the Linking parameters of the raster if you want this extension across the entire path? This is model-aware as well, so it will trim the extension automatically around avoidance geometry.

I was looking for it, as I thought I remembered there being an extension function in Raster, but I am not seeing it.

I can understand the confusion, as in 2021 this was explicitly called "Extension", and in 2022 it seemed to disappear. It's simply built into the intelligence of the Leads section of Linking these days. The Distance field is a tangential extension applied before any other part of the lead. Here's an example of what an extension would look like in 2022:

126860651_LeadDistance.thumb.PNG.447a767f9558dcf7eb88781d8947357f.PNG

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, Chally72 said:

I can understand the confusion, as in 2021 this was explicitly called "Extension", and in 2022 it seemed to disappear. It's simply built into the intelligence of the Leads section of Linking these days. The Distance field is a tangential extension applied before any other part of the lead. Here's an example of what an extension would look like in 2022:

Perfect.  Exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you!

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Chally72 said:

I have a love hate relationship with this. I love what it does, until you add vertical or horizontal radius. Some times I want a controlled lead in/out and I want to extend my overlap. 2 very different things trapped under the same setting.. 

1 hour ago, motor-vater said:

I have a love hate relationship with this. I love what it does, until you add vertical or horizontal radius. Some times I want a controlled lead in/out and I want to extend my overlap. 2 very different things trapped under the same setting.. 

Exactly why I will use the 5 axis toolpath where they handle this much better and with more intelligence in the process of making the toolpath. The gap settings play a big part of this in the HST toolpaths, but the fact I can control the 1st and last moves in and out separately from the whole area being machined is huge difference between the thought process of handling situations like this that Moduelworks put into it that HST still has some catching up to do.

1 hour ago, crazy^millman said:

Exactly why I will use the 5 axis toolpath where they handle this much better and with more intelligence in the process of making the toolpath. The gap settings play a big part of this in the HST toolpaths, but the fact I can control the 1st and last moves in and out separately from the whole area being machined is huge difference between the thought process of handling situations like this that Moduelworks put into it that HST still has some catching up to do.

I do as well. I almost always do. I am loving unified locked in 3 axis!!!!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, crazy^millman said:

I need to play with that more.  As of now, every time I go into the multi-axis toolpaths I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of additional options!!!

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

I need to play with that more.  As of now, every time I go into the multi-axis toolpaths I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of additional options!!!

What worked well for me is I set all the linking to use default links.  I set gap size to something like 100% to keep the tool down. Also tool control to surface. I shut off collision control. Then, I work on getting a nice looking tool path. I then turn on collision control and change gap size or tool path control as needed. I dumb it down as much as I possibly can and start turning on the options as needed. As I have done this over the years it helps to know what is causing what is seen on the screen. 

I am far from an expert, just sharing my experience and what works for me. Clean path first then turn all the extras on. 

3 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

I miss these paths I wish they would spring for the 5ax here. I still get area roughing doing plunge on walls instead of the horizontal arcs I explicitly set.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, #Rekd™ said:

@Chally72 have you considered doing a live session where users could ask questions? Your videos are awesome but a live session would take it to the next level IMHO!!

I've heard rumblings about doing some live sessions....or at the very least dropping some more webinars like last year/early this year. Hopefully you'll see something soon. 😀

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1