Sign in to follow this  
robk

Extended Length Thread Mills

I have a broken pin that needs to be removed from a Ø.295 hole (which is on ID of part @ 38°) . The break is about 1.1" deep inside the hole. I am looking for a thread mill that will fit in there. It doesn't matter if it's single point or full profile. I just need the overall length to be able to reach in there and put in a thread to be able to use a slide hammer to remove the pin. That minimum overall length needs to be at least 3.5" in order to be able to hold the tool in shrink fit holder....

If I have a tool with Ø.150" cutting diameter and a shank of Ø.250 this gives me approximately .0025" clearance per side to mill 10-32 thread.

busted pin.png

Man that's gonna be tough. I think the only option will be something custom out of a long .25 blank. Our tool grinding department could easily make something like this. I'd have them make 3 haha. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GoetzInd said:

Man that's gonna be tough. I think the only option will be something custom out of a long .25 blank. Our tool grinding department could easily make something like this. I'd have them make 3 haha. 

Our tool room could make them as well, but it's easier to buy something off the shelf. LOL

2 hours ago, mayday said:

sinker edm

I believe this is the way we'll go...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Leon82 said:

Is it a hardened pen can you use a pulley tap?

Yes, the pin is hardened throughout @ 60-62Rc 

I believe the part will be getting sent out to burn out the pin.

Thank you guys for suggestions :)

That's a tough nut to crack. Drill a hole in the pin, then turn a shaft to fit in it and jb weld them together? Then slide hammer that out with the pin?

• Like 1