Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

.1875 HOLE 8 INCHES DEEP IN ALUMINUM

I am fairly new to mill programming and looking for tips or techniques on making a custom deep hole drilling cycle in 6061 aluminum for a vacuum fixture.

We have .187 high speed steel drills with 3" of flute and 10" overall length twist drills in the shop and I was hoping to get these holes done without ordering a special drill. 

Research (cnc cookbook . com) is telling me a normal twist drill CAN NOT drill this deep....does anyone agree/disagree with this??

I don't care how long the cycle takes, I am trying to go slow and avoid scrapping out a very large and expensive piece of aluminum. 

This is for a large vacuum fixture and I only need to drill these holes once and there is 4 holes total I need to drill.

Any help is appreciated:)

G83 it really slow and should be able to do it all day long. Keep your pecks to .05" or .100" max. Maybe 2000-4000 rpms and 4-8 ipm. would be were I would start. Any faster and you run the risk of the drill whipping and bending being HSS. I would do what I could with a jobber length drill then come back with this to do what is left.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

I'll go out there and say do exactly what has been said before.  It's all about getting the chips out.  normally this is gundrilling territory being about 40xd.  If you have through coolant you could buy a thru coolant drill and get it done with that.  But that's expensive and likely not on the table.

Good news is, likely you don't have any tolerances to worry about.  If there are, the engineer that designed it needs to be taken out back and beaten.  The function of that hole is a fluid/gas passage.  Just needs to connect the dots.  So as long as it doesn't wander too much, life is good.  

Just my 2 cents, but I would go as far as I could with Jobber and Taper length drills, then walk it over to a drill press or Bridgeport and connect the dots manually as you will be able to feel what's going on, and evacuate the chips as needed.  There is zero reason, other than if you don't have a manual machine to poke it through with, that you can't do this on a manual...