Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What's everyone using for tooling management (as in inventory, usage, etc.)?

Aaron Eberhard

Monday morning question for everyone:

I'm trying to get control over the flow of tools through the shop over here, so the first step is to get control of what tools we have in hand, how much we consume, etc.    What programs are you guys using to track that stuff?   Is it all ran through your ERP, a random Excel spreadsheet, Google docs, etc?

Bonus points awarded for a smooth integration into Mastercam, but that's secondary at this point to just getting our heads around what's flowing through the shop.

Thanks!

55 minutes ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

I'm trying to get control over the flow of tools through the shop over here, so the first step is to get control of what tools we have in hand, how much we consume, etc.    What programs are you guys using to track that stuff?   Is it all ran through your ERP, a random Excel spreadsheet, Google docs, etc?

Bonus points awarded for a smooth integration into Mastercam, but that's secondary at this point to just getting our heads around what's flowing through the shop.

Thanks!

No suggestions, but I'm interested to see what answers you get.  Tooling usage is a chaotic tornado at this shop.  We bought the Zoller TMS software, but it's rather cumbersome, and doesn't really seem do-able at this point, without a fulltime tool-crib guy.  I've heard good things about WinTool.  But no personal experience.  

• Like 1

In our stockroom, they have a software called Sage. I don't know much about it other than we under utilize it. It can track usage, cost, vendors, run reports and I think it will alert your when quantities are low so that you can reorder. You can assign a number for stocking and have the EDP number tied into it. All this is dependent on the person running it to set it up properly and update tools as they are signed out. Just like anything else, junk in, junk out.

I keep spreadsheets on my computer so that I have a record of what tool is used where. I document what the MFG number is, stock number, insert numbers, screws and so forth. This makes it easier when an operator comes in and says we don't have any of these in the stock room (see above).

As far as Mastercam integration, I just have tool libraries for each machine with the holders modeled and tools in the designated tool number spot. If I need to know what tool 9 is, I can look at my spreadsheet. 

Hope this helps.

Time and Money are the real controls here. Any of the good softwares track this, but the problem is time and money. People think they are saving tons of money by having all the extra holders and tools by keeping a machine running and there is a lot of truth in that thought. Problem is the real cost in using that approach if you're a job shop. If your company is a production shop and always running the same parts day in and day out there there should be no excuse to not being able to track it down to the insert usage per part. CAM Integration through the whole process working backwards is one of the hardest methods I have seen tried and work. It can be done with the right interface from the Tooling Software Vendor and the right personnel to support it, but that is where the time and money come into play. Without a full idea what the shop does, the machines, materials, holders and other things hard to say what is the best approach and software.

Zoller. Link

Wintool. Link

TMS Systems. Link

You have the cost of them upfront, the implementation of them and then the support of them. Since I work with so many different customers I cannot help much more than say has to be a company wide mindset and approach. Starting at the top and supported all they way to the bottom. Involve everyone who has a stake in this success and it will be successful. Offer bonuses to those who help come up with the greatest cost reductions with implementation. The stakes holders getting rewarded for their efforts always give the best ideas. Those just ordered to make improvements without seeing a rewards at the end of their hard work are the most hesitant to make the change. Everyone works for a paycheck and by rewarding them with a stake in the process they will embrace it and feel empowered.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Zoller. Link

Wintool. Link

TMS Systems. Link

I have looked into all three of these over the last year.

Zoller and Wintool did not impress me

I liked TMS and my managers did too.

They requested a quote. I do not know what the quoted figure was, but the subject has never come up again,

and my managers look at me like I'm an idiot when I try to broach the subject.

I suspect it's very expensive 

• Like 2

The biggest problem with Zoller, TMS Systems, and WinTool is the implementation.

You've got to have someone onsite to do the integration. You're either paying a consultant ($$$), the Vendor itself ($$$$), or you're finding (or hiring) someone internally in your company to do the development and/or data entry.

Entering and tracking all of this tool data is tedious at best, and becomes a 'boat anchor' at its worst.

• How is the data driving decision making within your shop?
  • Is the data being used to drive Cost Accounting?
  • Is the data being used to drive C.A.V.? (Computer Aided Verification, AKA VERICUT or NCSIMUL)
  • Is the data tied to any "physical process" (placing a tool order, reordering inserts, issuing tools)?

The easiest solution that you can implement "immediately", would be to get an automated vending machine, stocked with packs of inserts for your "repeat jobs", or tools that are "heavy hitters". The technology is mature, and you can have a Tool Supply Company come in and place the vending machine, and integrate that vending machine with a barcode scanner. That is the easiest/best method to implement some kind of 'Tool Management System', without breaking the bank. It is a great "first step" to integrating your digital tool data, with physical tool inventory.

• If there is a way to "override the system", people will default to that behavior.
  • The "worst" systems involve clipboards, handwritten data, and no follow-up/accountability.

Have you looked at ProShop ERP?

I really like their system. It is 'web based', so you only need a web browser to access the data, and it was built by a group of guys originally as their "internal software solution to run a machine shop". So there is quite a bit of integration between the Mastercam Data, NC Code, Tool Data, Job Data, and mechanisms to track (and record) the work done at each step of the process.

• From "simple things" like Material receiving and tracking, (taking cell phone pictures, to show the receipt of the material, and an option to 'scan' the Material Certs. into the ERP system.
  • Tools can be assigned to a job, and tool inventory "pulled" from an internal database, that is tied into the ordering system. 
  • A "Demand Forecast" can be generated, which would show the effects of different order quantities, and how those orders would impact the tool inventory.
  • You also have the ability to predict where there will be "conflicts", where the same Tool Assembly is required simultaneously on different jobs. The decision can then be made to modify the production schedule, or to procure an additional Tool Assembly, so jobs can be run simultaneously that require the same tool.

The "big three" systems: WinTool, TDM Systems, and Zoller Tool Management, can all be used to manage your digital data flow, between CAM, CAV, and the Tool Crib, but I don't think they are well suited to 'manage tool inventory and tool ordering'. I could be wrong about this aspect of those software packages, if they have managed to add those functions. (To be fair, I haven't done any serious investigation into these products in the past 3 years, so this is coming from memory...) For managing tool ordering and tool inventory, some type of ERP/Accounting integration is necessary.

Take the idea of "managing tool inventory".

This can be a monumental task when starting "at ground zero", because some poor soul will be tasked with gathering "tool data from all the tools you currently have in stock in your shop", and then populating a database with that information. This is often just tedious data entry, where a single "wrong character" can wreak havoc on your downstream processes. We're not able to get much automation at this stage. Someone is going to have to type in each Holder, Insert, Extension, Screw, Pull Stud, Etc.

The data that is entered into this database only represents a "snapshot in time" of the condition and inventory of your tool data.

Some shops implement a "RFID" tag system, where the tool measurement data (and sometimes physical location) of a Tool Assembly is monitored. For this to happen correctly, there must be some sort of "check in/check out" system, where the tool can be "assigned to a physical inventory location". This could be a cabinet, a tool cart, or even a particular machine, so long as the tool is "checked out" of the place where it was previously located, and "checked in" to the new location.

I've heard of Zoller TM Systems being integrated into a shop where there are 20,000+ Tool Assemblies, and each assembly is tracked. This can allow you to move the same Tool Assembly to different machines in the same shop, on the same day. Perhaps you need T00150015 to be used in the morning on 3-Axis VMC, then after lunch you need that same tool on a 4-Axis Mill, and finally you need that same tool assembly on a different 5-Axis Mill in the evening. With the right Tool Management Software and Database, that kind of tracking is certainly possible.

• Like 3

At Conventus I was using Productivity's FastTrak system, and it worked okay, with some limitations.  There's no connection between that and Mastercam or anything.

Seems a golden opportunity to add a useful feature to Mastercam.  Make it a function of your tool libraries, just add a few fields (quantity, price, storage location), the ability to increment and decrement quantities from a stand alone program on another computer, and the ability to print labels formatted to your liking.  Bonus if it works with a barcode scanner, and you can put those barcodes on your setup sheets.  It would be great when programming, to know how many of a cutter you have in hand.

• Like 2

Great feedback as always, thanks for the discussion!

To answer the questions this is a smaller job shop for now, and I'm trying to ease them into ERP.  Whatever I do has to be super simple to get the other guys to actually use it (to Ron's point).   ProShop has been on my radar, as well as WinTool.  I hadn't heard of TMS.  that's a good lead, but it'll probably be out of budget if you can't afford it, Tom :)

Thanks again everyone, I'll keep researching and update this if I come up with a simpler solution.   This seems like something that would be very easy to dismissively hand-wave away with "Just do X!"  and then later be upset that it doesn't do "YZ".  Or cause a huge headache when you port it to a solution that does do YZ.

• Like 2

Not sure for your area, in my area a lot of shops use the MSC style vending machine. Every tool pulled is tracked to what shop order along with who pulled it and quantity still in the system. Also a return option to also track tools for regrind. Some will stock it for you and you only pay when it's pulled. Another form of inventory for the vendor. At a price of course.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, mayday said:

Not sure for your area, in my area a lot of shops use the MSC style vending machine. Every tool pulled is tracked to what shop order along with who pulled it and quantity still in the system. Also a return option to also track tools for regrind. Some will stock it for you and you only pay when it's pulled. Another form of inventory for the vendor. At a price of course.

A former shop I worked at did this with Fastenal. They figured out what we stocked and ordered, and Fastenal was then responsible for stocking inventory, and we paid as we pulled from the Tool Crib, or Vending Machine, and each tool (or item) was then applied "to a job". It took about a year to get setup, to the point it was "working ok". I'm not sure what the system cost to implement, but I'm sure it was a significant cost up front to do the integration. Any item we wanted to "put into inventory" required looking up the Fastenal part number, and then using a 'Custom Web Form' to enter all of the digital data for that tool. We did this in order to build a 'searchable database', where we could first look by "diameter" or "length of cut" (and dozens of other tool parameters), so we could filter to "see existing tool inventory". This was very helpful information for us in Programming, because we could not only see "do we have it in stock", but we could compare similar tools that we already had in stock, to be able to make smarter decisions about making our parts, by being able to use existing tooling where possible. Otherwise you end up with 50 or 200 different 0.500 diameter endmills, each with only slight differences between them in inventory. We also added some custom fields for "machine" and "material type" to our web form, so we could get a sense of "what kind of part/job/machine is this tool for?".

One thing to be aware of if you go this route > do not expect any kind of 'administrative person' who fills orders, to have the slightest clue about the difference between any of the tools, or even what a tool might look like. A drill bit, endmill, and boring tool could be anything you tell them it is, so you need to be sure the data entry is at least supervised or reviewed by someone with a clue, otherwise it becomes very easy to get bad data. You'll see you've got 12 pieces in inventory, but in reality you've got 3 because Dave and John haven't been wanding their barcodes, or because someone pulled from bin A3, not A4 by mistake.

I do know that you're going to want to own your own data. That means investing in a decent onsite server, router, firewall, and monitoring software, and doing that sooner, rather than later. I'd be wary of going "Cloud Based" anything, which is just a fancy term for "paying rent". When someone else owns your software license or data storage, you are opening yourself up for data breaches or service outages, and exposing your data for someone to steal. This is also why I mentioned ProShop, as you should be looking into something like this now, if you're also doing the new server. You can decide if you want mirrored drives that are hot-swappable, and how many servers & hard drives would be required. I'd certainly recommend a completely separate server if you're working with any ITAR Data. This also leads down the road of "what are your internal IT resources, and who is setting up your network, credentials, and security practices. If you can also document this kind of stuff while you're designing the system, then you've just written the skeleton for your Quality System and can work towards getting the company certified.

If you want a little "light reading", check out https://www.cmmc-compliance.com/

• Like 2

Hi!

I use CTMS Matrix with a cabinet with a touch pc as a base for tools like inserts and drills etc. And it has a software main program you can pretty much customise with additional fields to make reports to output to pdf, excel or html of your liking, in example if you export data to an label.

The system is for tools, and tracking with locations and ordering and min max if you want to use it to keep track of stock an replenish automatic or manual.

I have used  this system some years now and have tweaked it to also keep track of my production parts, serial items for tracking of calibration for measuring tools, and our materials with material certificates, and with use of additional fields i make tool labels to put on kit tools to keep track of them, i can look at the label on a shelf at the machine and have all information like length, database id and what kind of tool and quickly see if i have the tool in the machine already for the job, i have linked the information from fields in mastercam so they correspond. When i change the tool i take the label and hang it around the tool and put it in the cabinet it has the location. You can use the bar code reader and the system to make an in and out record to track this, we are 3 persons at our shop so we just do it without in and out tracking, but we have good routine since the labels clearly shows where the location are. 

We mainly produce hydraulic manifolds on the mills so we have 2 identical machines with 3 cabinets for the tools for those machines with tools already set up as kits, we have an smx 3100st millturn machine from Doosan with Siemens and that machine has tools in the magazine and we are building a cabinet for the extra tools for that too.

The cabinet type i selected was an open type cabinet, dls8, since i had good knowledge of the system i choosed to build more open structure and added cabinets of different types, from shelves, cabinets and drawer , and have made some virtual cabinets also to keep track of those boxes with special tools or the tools you have in the shop everywhere and gather during the making of the system so you will know the tool is in this box, yes you may look after it one minute, but not everywhere in the shop and asking if anyone has seen it!

I am not sure if this answer or give you an idea, i at least are lucky i have this and that the boss saw the use for it and gave it a go for it, as all inventory systems it has its use, and i have tweaked for our needs, but bear in mind its time consuming to get it up and run if you want to use it like me, for the operator just take tools in and out of this system on the touch pc it is user friendly and i am sure it is american supplier trough iscar or taegutec to give quality help and demonstration.

Or maybe we see Sandvik now implementing systems like this ready to use from Mastercam! What a dream!

Link to the website for the system

https://www.ctms-imc.com/index.php/en/home/

This system is not cloud based and do not need web access other than if you use the ordering routine to send it to an email adress, So no one other than you can spy! 

Best regards from Norway!

G

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

We use Western Cutting Tool's FTS system (future tool system I think).  Basically the tools are stored in a tool cabinet (Lista, Stanley Vidmar, or similar) with a computer loaded with their software.  Operators log in (user ID and pin), type in the tool number they need, and the software tells them the cabinet, drawer, row, and column where the tool is located.  We also specify, by tool, the miniimum and maximum tool quantities to stock.  When the stocked tool count drops to the minimum the system automatically issues a PO to Western and orders enough tools to bring it back to the maximum.  Twice a week our rep comes in and stocks the cabinet for us.  I am so happy with this system I can't say enough good things about it.  It has reduced the workload in ordering tools and we are never out of tools.  No panicked UPS Red overnight tool orders for at least 5 years now.

We also had a software app written where our toolroom manager types in the tool number and it provides a graphic of the tool (silhouette) along with the cutter make and model, holder make and model, and stick out.  It pulls this data from our Vericut database in real time.  Between this app and the FTS our toolroom manager has all of the info he needs and never has to ask anyone any questions.  He gets the needed too list from Makino's MMC, gets the tools from the FTS and the build specs from the app.  Our databases are very tightly controlled and very accurate.  For this to work that is a must.

I should also add that we use this for tool holder hardware as well such as ER collets, hydraulic sleeves, thru spindle ER nuts, pull studs, etc... 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

Another cool feature of this is the data is open and available.  We have all of our machines exporting MTConnect data and a program we wrote to analyze it.  It grabs the tool run time from the machines, tied to the part and operation, it grabs the cost of the tool from the FTS database, and it grabs the tool life data from the Makino MMC database.  The result is a real time dashboard of part cost per tool and per operation.  Here is a screen shot from my phone of one of the dashboard screens covering tooling costs.  We have something like 10 different screens covering everything from spindle efficiency to on time delivery and we access it from our phones.  I LOVE this stuff.  It makes us so much more productive and it makes it so easy to see where work and attention is needed.

IMG_3569.PNG

• Like 5
14 minutes ago, Bob W. said:

We use Western Cutting Tool's FTS system (future tool system I think).  Basically the tools are stored in a tool cabinet (Lista, Stanley Vidmar, or similar) with a computer loaded with their software.  Operators log in (user ID and pin), type in the tool number they need, and the software tells them the cabinet, drawer, row, and column where the tool is located.  We also specify, by tool, the miniimum and maximum tool quantities to stock.  When the stocked tool count drops to the minimum the system automatically issues a PO to Western and orders enough tools to bring it back to the maximum.  Twice a week our rep comes in and stocks the cabinet for us.  I am so happy with this system I can't say enough good things about it.  It has reduced the workload in ordering tools and we are never out of tools.  No panicked UPS Red overnight tool orders for at least 5 years now.

We also had a software app written where our toolroom manager types in the tool number and it provides a graphic of the tool (silhouette) along with the cutter make and model, holder make and model, and stick out.  It pulls this data from our Vericut database in real time.  Between this app and the FTS our toolroom manager has all of the info he needs and never has to ask anyone any questions.  He gets the needed too list from Makino's MMC, gets the tools from the FTS and the build specs from the app.  Our databases are very tightly controlled and very accurate.  For this to work that is a must.

I should also add that we use this for tool holder hardware as well such as ER collets, hydraulic sleeves, thru spindle ER nuts, pull studs, etc... 

This system you have also describes how matrix works, seems also like a good choice 👍

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, geirsj said:

This system you have also describes how matrix works, seems also like a good choice 👍

Yes, it is very simple and very inexpensive.  We were early adopters so Western gave us the cabinet which they still own.  We bought the second cabinet and pay a $100/ month fee which is refunded if we order more then $1k in tools per month.  We order something like $20k in tools per month so it ends up being free.  I'm not sure the exact terms at this point because it runs entirely in the background which is how it should be.  At the end of the day it is a huge win/ win because the cabinet orders the tools which saves the sales people a ton of time.  Makes them much more productive as well.

• Like 4
On 12/13/2021 at 8:05 AM, crazy^millman said:

I cannot help much more than say has to be a company wide mindset and approach. Starting at the top and supported all they way to the bottom. Involve everyone who has a stake in this success and it will be successful. Offer bonuses to those who help come up with the greatest cost reductions with implementation. The stakes holders getting rewarded for their efforts always give the best ideas. Those just ordered to make improvements without seeing a rewards at the end of their hard work are the most hesitant to make the change. Everyone works for a paycheck and by rewarding them with a stake in the process they will embrace it and feel empowered.

This this this!!!!!!

On 12/13/2021 at 7:25 AM, Aaron Eberhard said:

Thanks!

I saw in your signature you were embarking on becoming a shop owner?  Is this related to that quest?  In any case, tool management is a critical aspect of running a shop and setting it up correctly from the beginning will open the door to smooth growth going forward.  When I started we ran Haas machines which I love to bash on but in all reality they did get me off and rolling and were the right call at the time.  With that said, they were limiting on tool management in that they only allowed tool numbers up to 200 or so and the pot and tool numbers had to match in the machine.  The result of this was that for one part a 3/8-16 tap might be tool 5 and for another it might be tool 25.  The result is that every project would need a complete teardown before moving to the next.  With most high end machines tool numbers can go up to 99999999 which allows unique tool numbers for each tool you would ever buy and assemble.  Currently our 3/8-16 tap is tool 84 and it will never be anything different.  That is for a 2B uncoated tap in an ER32 holder with a 1.25" stick out.   Our tool numbers are set by the tool, holder, and stick out combination.  If any of these three parameters change it gets a new tool number.  We have tool 3 and tool 667 which use the same holder and cutter but 667 sticks out 1/2" further, thus getting a unique tool number.  In our tool cabinet the cutter for tool 3 and 667 is the same and will be found in a search for either.  It also has 3-4 other tool numbers tied to it because it also has definitions tied to different holders.  We also have different series.  6000-7000 series tools are for our mill-turn and are in capto C6 holders, 5000-5999 series are single use only.  They are programmed for ONE PART ONLY because it is a critical feature and we don't want interference with other parts.  3000 series are for Ti, 4000 are for Inconel, etc...

The benefit to all of this is if our machines already have tools in the machine we know were good to go and only have to load those that are missing.  Instead of changing out 20 tools to get a project going we might need to add 2-3.  We only have one tool library and that includes the turning tools for our mill-turn.  I'd love to hear what other shops do or what systems they have come up with.  We transitioned to this at the advice of a former employee and at the time we had 500 tool numbers and it took a few months to get everything straight.  Currently we have ~1300 tool numbers.  Getting something like this implemented on day 1 would be a massive time saver and be a concrete foundation for growth.

I have contemplated doing some YouTube videos on running a machine shop.  Programming and running the machines is actually a very small aspect of being profitable.  Nothing says one needs to be a starving machine shop owner.  If done right it could make you a multimillionaire in a decade.  Maybe I'll do a series someday when I start to back away from the shop a little.  In any case, best of luck and feel free to ask any questions.  There is a lot I don't know but I'll happily volunteer the things I do know.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 6
On 12/15/2021 at 11:08 AM, Bob W. said:

Yessir, this is about my stupid endeavor :)  

That write-up is awesome!  Thank you for all the info.  I had contemplated doing a tooling system similar to what you described, but it was not nearly as developed as what you outlined, so I really appreciate you spelling out it. 

I totally agree with you that many shops are leaving tons of money on the table due to poor job, tool, process, etc. control.  That's what I'm trying to straighten out here, as there's plenty of opportunity for process improvements.

If you ever get around to doing some of those videos, I would certainly be a subscriber!  From what I've seen, you're certainly doing it right :)

Thanks mate!

• Like 2

Aaron, whatever you do (ref Ron), get your foreman/cell/team leader(s) fully onboard, and follow it through!

As you realise and Bob has explained, it's a big job to get going, and the last thing you want is naysayers telling you you're wasting your time - because there'll be no visual/immediate savings, for the amount of time spent doing it.

I failed at it - all I did was implement rack/trays with "steel" and "ally" cutters split out (lathe inserts too), and ensured there were plenty and never ran out (always bought 10 or so when the suppliers were running deals) - although I standardised on make/stickout/cut parameters etc and we were a small (5 people 11x CNCs) company, so it was controlled(ish).

And as Bob said, there's potentially a lot of money to be made from the game, if you go into it with the thought/mindset to make it. Again I failed, I started because I was fed up working for wankers :D but had no wish to grow to be a big shop.

:cheers:

• Like 2
On 12/18/2021 at 11:50 AM, Newbeeee™ said:

Aaron, whatever you do (ref Ron), get your foreman/cell/team leader(s) fully onboard, and follow it through!:cheers:

This is true, to get the right persons or all employee onboard from the beginning is essential, if you have the people understanding its for expanding and organizing your tools and not for making trouble in the daily routines will help a lot implementing whatever system you use. To get implementation of the best system for your business you need people to understand what you are planning to achieve and get them to understand the things you need to do to get where you want.

• Like 1
On 12/14/2021 at 8:50 AM, Aaron Eberhard said:

Great feedback as always, thanks for the discussion!

To answer the questions this is a smaller job shop for now, and I'm trying to ease them into ERP.  Whatever I do has to be super simple to get the other guys to actually use it (to Ron's point).   ProShop has been on my radar, as well as WinTool.  I hadn't heard of TMS.  that's a good lead, but it'll probably be out of budget if you can't afford it, Tom :)

Thanks again everyone, I'll keep researching and update this if I come up with a simpler solution.   This seems like something that would be very easy to dismissively hand-wave away with "Just do X!"  and then later be upset that it doesn't do "YZ".  Or cause a huge headache when you port it to a solution that does do YZ.

Not a good idea to ease into a tool crib management system, We tried it and failed miserably, to many people walking in and out grabbing tools, taking spares, over riding the system and what we ended up with was a tool bill that was double our usual monthly! As others have mentioned best bet is a tool vending/drawer system that can be provided by your supplier, inventory everything you plan on using set min and max and lock that baby down. Its a one man job, and has to be that way! On the back side standardize what you are using, create tool libraries and always try to find a way to use those tools. At the end of the day a well balanced system can save you money, you will rarely be holding tools that you do not need, our vender sees what we are using most and keeps stock at the local warehouse, so we can keep our min max low but get tools same day.

Your the boss now buddy, don't flirt with anything, make a decision and then pull off the Band-Aid, We use the the FTS system from Western Tool, its only as good as the person implementing it, but that being said after 6 months we got it down to a science.

Integration into Mastercam? Come on Man, you are one of us now, you should know better.... LOL

• Like 2