Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Peck drilling with right angle head

Fanuc 31i control...

Got an application where I need to peck drill with a right angle head, So the drill cycle will run in the Y axis rather than the Z axis. I started looking into a macro for doing this, but then got to wondering if I am just over complicating things

So in my head I was thinking I could call up G18, then a drill cycle...so something like this:

G18

G83 G98 Y-1. R.05 Q.1 F100.

Is it that easy?

Or would I have to do something like a G68 Coordinate Rotation while in the G18 plane?

Or just stay with the original macro idea? And if thats the case, anyone got a Y axis peck drilling macro handy?

Thoughts?

25 minutes ago, MIL-TFP-41 said:

Fanuc 31i control...

Got an application where I need to peck drill with a right angle head, So the drill cycle will run in the Y axis rather than the Z axis. I started looking into a macro for doing this, but then got to wondering if I am just over complicating things

So in my head I was thinking I could call up G18, then a drill cycle...so something like this:

G18

G83 G98 Y-1. R.05 Q.1 F100.

Is it that easy?

Or would I have to do something like a G68 Coordinate Rotation while in the G18 plane?

Or just stay with the original macro idea? And if thats the case, anyone got a Y axis peck drilling macro handy?

Thoughts?

I think you have to do a G68.2 I have never tried to use the Plane process to trick a drilling cycle like you thinking. I have done what you after long code or with G68.2 plane rotation, but think you try this in MDI and see what the motion look like. Can do a 6" deep hole with a 1" peck to prove out the theory. If it works then great if not then you will have to invoke G68.2. G68 will only done G17, G18 or G19 plane rotation on that active plane not plane mapping like you are needing here. One the resident Fanuc Guru can chime in if I am thinking incorrectly.

2 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

I think you have to do a G68 I have never tried to use the Plane process to trick a drilling cycle like you thinking. I have done what you after long code or with G68.2 plane rotation, but think you try this in MDI and see what the motion look like. Can do a 6" deep hole with a 1" peck to prove out the theory. If it works then great if not then you will have to invoke G68.2. G68 will only done G17, G18 or G19 plane rotation on that active plane not plane mapping like you are needing here. One the resident Fanuc Guru can chime in if I am thinking incorrectly.

Unfortunately the machine I need to do this on does not have G68.2. I just need to break in production to test the other tricks.

What machine and control?

The Haas NCG Control will support peck drilling on the G18 & G19 Planes, using a Canned Cycle, just like you are describing. But it depends on the vintage of your control. For the Classic Haas Control, I think you must have M18.06 or higher, if you want to use a Canned Cycle. (And of course, if you are using a machine which isn't a Haas, then none of my advice will apply...)

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Tim Johnson said:

I found this many years ago on Tim Markowski's (SP) site. I used it for a horizontal drilling operation at a  37° angle. It worked very well for me.

UNIVERSAL_ANGLE_HEAD_MACRO.NC

Here is PDF from him talking about the subject from years ago. I have his webpage saved that I made the PDF from to make it cleaner.

Tim Markowski Right Angle Head.pdf

3-Axis Drilling with an Angle Head.pdf

• Like 2

After doing a bit of playing and research a macro is the quick & easy way to do this. On our Tosnuc 888 controls, they do have plane conversion commands specifically for right angle heads, but like most Fanuc things it is an option.

Turns out there are 2 types of G68 Coordinate Rotation (which I am most familiar with) and G68 3d Coordinate conversion. With the 2nd one, you specify the rotations about x, y & z, sounds very powerful but overkill for what I am trying to do.

The above posted macro's are a great starting point, also overkill for what I need, but I can dumb them down to something suitable for this simple task.

Thanks to all for pointing me in the right direction.

• Like 3

On a FANUC control, you have the ability to set/specify which axis the canned cycles take place in. By default it's Z. It would be easy enough to write a MACRO which could change it on the fly by G or M-Code (whichever you choose).

(FXY)

#5101.0 =0 is Z-Axis at all times (default) =1 Specified in program

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...