Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MR1$ comparing to LAST_MR1

Hello,
   I would like to use MR1$ in the MISC and I've been trying to use a statement like this.

If LAST_MR1 <> MR1$ then show alarm but I think it could not store the previous value of MR1$ and it is showing "0".

I have MR1$ = 1 on operation#2 and operation#7 I have input MR1$ = 2  

Would you guys tell me what is the easiest way to make this work?

ps: I have a alarm message such as

Thank you.

Untitled.png.426af54f2862c0fd1163c672291dbbbb.png

Output...
Untitled2.png.d48b52c6558769cb6caf2c6f6064a47d.png

Download a "fresh copy" of MPMaster.

Look at the Postblock > plast

This is a block for "tracking" Miscellaneous Integers and Real Numbers.

mi1$-mi10$ and mr1$-mr10$. These are reset, at every Tool Change Event.. MP does not track these variables, which is why you see the "plast" block.

The Developers of MPMaster created their own variables > last_mi1, last_mi2, etc.

You can add your own, but you must initialize the variable (create it), and then "add a line of code to 'plast' to set the value. But you must control "when does the variable get saved", and then "do something" with the information.

When you look at MPMaster, don't just "use what is already used", or you're going to run into problems, if you don't strip out all the code that already references those numbers.

mi1$ is used in many Posts, by default, so that is something you'll want to be aware of.

"How" you track the variable matters.

plast
      last_mi1 = mi1$  # < That will force the variable to write, every time.

plast
      if mi1S, last_mi1 = mi1$   # < This will only capture "positive" values, and track them.

• Like 1

Again if you used MMD and MCD the correct way to do the work you wouldn't have to add another check to the post to check for things that wouldn't need to be checked for because you are not hacking something together with a post, but are using Mastercam the way it is meant to be used. Problem is now you are making other programmers do it your way and not the correct way and wonder why you keep running into issues.

You going to be calling them stupid idiots with this check also?

• Like 1
17 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Again if you used MMD and MCD the correct way to do the work you wouldn't have to add another check to the post to check for things that wouldn't need to be checked for because you are not hacking something together with a post, but are using Mastercam the way it is meant to be used. Problem is now you are making other programmers do it your way and not the correct way and wonder why you keep running into issues.

I tried Ron. I tried so many times to help educate Stephen on "how the whole system works", but he is never interested in hearing that. He only wants to know "how do I get this dream of mine to work, the way I think it should be done". Then he will build all kinds of prompt messages into the Post, to force you to use it "his way".

It is like he "wants to build the world's best race car". So he starts with a riding lawn mower, rips out the driver's seat, then comes to me and says "I'll pay you to show me how to build a race car. I have a Chevy 350 race engine, but I also want to put the this Toyota Camry interior into my car". So I think to myself:

"ok, no big deal, he probably has a Camry, and wants to use some parts he already has. All we really need is a pedal box, steering column, steering wheel, driver's racing seat, and 5-point harness. Oh, and it would probably be good to put a Roll Cage in the car for safety, replace the windows with lexan, and maybe fire-suppression if we get serious."

So I show up to his garage, and he's got the seats all laid out, and I start inspecting the situation, thinking "ok, he has his prep work done, not sure why he wants a full interior in the race car, but we are looking pretty good here". I then say "what car are we putting this in?", and he points to the shell of this riding lawn mower, and says "in there!".

And no amount of explanation, or convincing, will ever persuade him to let me educate him on "the basic structures of a Car and the basic structures of a riding lawnmower", so he can make better choices about "how he wants to build his own custom vehicle".

Enough analogy.

What I'm talking about is how to use what's already in Mastercam: the Machine Definition, Control Definition, and Post, the Operation Structure including Misc. Integers and Real Numbers [how these work], Work Offset Numbering, Canned Text, Canned Cycles, Etc.

But trying to do that on "his Post" is next to impossible, because it has been so drastically altered from "what a stock Post Processor looks like", and he is either not using existing variables/structures within the Post, or he is manipulating these variables for his own needs, but not realizing there are now conflicts, if he uses a different method of building his Operations.

I've seen warnings for "forcing people to use Absolute radio buttons" in Contour Operations. (Forcing a person to build every operation "his way".)

I'm sorry for "talking about you" Stephen, but I'm doing it to help keep other people who read this forum from trying to adopt some of the ideas that you bring up. I love how creative you are. I'm serious, I really do love the hustle of someone who "just won't take no for an answer", and will figure out how to solve a problem "their way". I think that tenacity is valuable, but I just wish you would slow down (just a bit), and study "how the system works from the ground up".

I promise it would make such a positive impact on the way you approach problems:

• How you build your Operations
  • How you use WCS/Planes
  • How you use Work Offsets
  • How you perform Probing Operations (on different machines)
  • Allow you to build Custom Drill Cycles (for Probing Operations, they way there were "meant to be done", without breaking the variable links for other Canned Cycles)
  • Allow you to use Advanced Drill > to automate the most complex of machine behaviors, for using long drills or gun drills, NO POST EDITS NEEDED FOR THIS < but only on a "stock" Post from CNC Software, or with MPMaster.
  • Reduce your dependency on "creating warning messages", which limit the tools you have available for programming within Mastercam Operations.

The best thing you could do for yourself Stephen, would be to watch all of my MP 101 Videos, on YouTube. The content is free. Make sure you also watch the Office Hours Videos for MP101. A ton of practical development takes place here. Then, watch the MP 301 videos. This entire series shows you how to configure and customize the Generic Fanuc 5X Mill Post, for 5-Axis machining. I go through "how to configure the Post for a Trunnion (table/table) Machine, and how to configure the Post for a Gantry (head/head) Machine.

There is something like 60+ hours of free Post Processor Training, but you've got to slow down a bit, and watch from the beginning. Take a look at the existing tools, which are built into Mastercam already, and how those tools work.

• Variable Modality < How does MP track "current" and "previous" variables. When do Variables get Updated? (What does 'updated' even mean?) What is the "Force Update" function, and when should it be used?
  • String Select Function < used the "modality" of a numeric variable [takes an integer], and looks at the 'current versus previous' value of that integer. If the values are the same, no string is output. If the values are different, it "looks up a string from a list of strings, and outputs that string", using an "zero-based index".
  • Variable Format Statements < Allows MP to assign different "numeric output" to a Variable, based on the "input units" of the Mastercam File. The 'fs2' function has '2 columns', which define Inch and Metric Formatting. This allows your Post to use either Metric or Inch "input", and get properly formatted "NC Code output", FROM THE EXACT SAME POST, with no Post Edits required.
  • Variable Output Formatting < Format Assignment Function. Allows you to specify a "Prefix" or "Suffix" String, for a Variable. (You can put a string in front or behind or both) for a number. The formatting of that number, is controlled by looking up a Format Statement.
  • A 1-dimension Array. This is just a "list of variables" (a column of values). All Arrays in MP are single dimension. They are just "lists of variables, with values". You need an "index" to the Array. This is the "name of the starting variable in the list".
  • Functions < MP contains dozens of functions for working with both Numbers and Strings. Once you understand more about Variables, Formatting, String Select, Modality, Etc., you can learn about Functions like "newfs" and "nwadrs". These allow you to change variable formatting and prefix/suffix strings, on-the-fly. But you have to be sure to "change the variables back to what they were originally, after you are doing outputting the modified values. This way you are preserving the "existing functionality". We do this often with Custom Drill Cycles, where we want to use an existing variable like "dwell" or "peck1$", for some other purpose. But we don't want to also screw up Peck Drilling or Dwelling, for any other Operation we may create that uses a Peck or Dwell value.
  • MP uses many 3-variable and 9-variable arrays. You can create your 'multi-dimension' array, by using a Buffer File. This is either a "Numeric Array", where you tell the system "how many variables are stored on each row", and then you read/write from that Array of values, using (2) lists of variables. (The number of variables in your "list" must match the number of "values" stored in the Row of your array.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

⬆️⬆️⬆️

I agree Colin I have tons of respect for him as well, but has been so badly beaten up by shop owners it has jaded him into the fight or flight mentality in his programming.

What has been added since you left CNC software for handling things in the post almost makes MPMASTER obsolete. What is the base post for all this hacking?

• Like 1
22 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Hello CrazyMillMan,
    This is my very personal post, before I post anything out I always use mine to ensure everything is NO CRASH, COOLANT OFF, OR T1, H10, etc.  After I see everything is OK then I use the company's post.  It's just my PERSONAL CNC QC tool.

Thank you for your comment CrazyMillMan,
     S.Luong

5 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

I tried Ron. I tried so many times to help educate Stephen on "how the whole system works", but he is never interested in hearing that. He only wants to know "how do I get this dream of mine to work, the way I think it should be done". Then he will build all kinds of prompt messages into the Post, to force you to use it "his way".

It is like he "wants to build the world's best race car". So he starts with a riding lawn mower, rips out the driver's seat, then comes to me and says "I'll pay you to show me how to build a race car. I have a Chevy 350 race engine, but I also want to put the this Toyota Camry interior into my car". So I think to myself:

"ok, no big deal, he probably has a Camry, and wants to use some parts he already has. All we really need is a pedal box, steering column, steering wheel, driver's racing seat, and 5-point harness. Oh, and it would probably be good to put a Roll Cage in the car for safety, replace the windows with lexan, and maybe fire-suppression if we get serious."

So I show up to his garage, and he's got the seats all laid out, and I start inspecting the situation, thinking "ok, he has his prep work done, not sure why he wants a full interior in the race car, but we are looking pretty good here". I then say "what car are we putting this in?", and he points to the shell of this riding lawn mower, and says "in there!".

And no amount of explanation, or convincing, will ever persuade him to let me educate him on "the basic structures of a Car and the basic structures of a riding lawnmower", so he can make better choices about "how he wants to build his own custom vehicle".

Enough analogy.

What I'm talking about is how to use what's already in Mastercam: the Machine Definition, Control Definition, and Post, the Operation Structure including Misc. Integers and Real Numbers [how these work], Work Offset Numbering, Canned Text, Canned Cycles, Etc.

But trying to do that on "his Post" is next to impossible, because it has been so drastically altered from "what a stock Post Processor looks like", and he is either not using existing variables/structures within the Post, or he is manipulating these variables for his own needs, but not realizing there are now conflicts, if he uses a different method of building his Operations.

I've seen warnings for "forcing people to use Absolute radio buttons" in Contour Operations. (Forcing a person to build every operation "his way".)

I'm sorry for "talking about you" Stephen, but I'm doing it to help keep other people who read this forum from trying to adopt some of the ideas that you bring up. I love how creative you are. I'm serious, I really do love the hustle of someone who "just won't take no for an answer", and will figure out how to solve a problem "their way". I think that tenacity is valuable, but I just wish you would slow down (just a bit), and study "how the system works from the ground up".

I promise it would make such a positive impact on the way you approach problems:

• How you build your Operations
  • How you use WCS/Planes
  • How you use Work Offsets
  • How you perform Probing Operations (on different machines)
  • Allow you to build Custom Drill Cycles (for Probing Operations, they way there were "meant to be done", without breaking the variable links for other Canned Cycles)
  • Allow you to use Advanced Drill > to automate the most complex of machine behaviors, for using long drills or gun drills, NO POST EDITS NEEDED FOR THIS < but only on a "stock" Post from CNC Software, or with MPMaster.
  • Reduce your dependency on "creating warning messages", which limit the tools you have available for programming within Mastercam Operations.

The best thing you could do for yourself Stephen, would be to watch all of my MP 101 Videos, on YouTube. The content is free. Make sure you also watch the Office Hours Videos for MP101. A ton of practical development takes place here. Then, watch the MP 301 videos. This entire series shows you how to configure and customize the Generic Fanuc 5X Mill Post, for 5-Axis machining. I go through "how to configure the Post for a Trunnion (table/table) Machine, and how to configure the Post for a Gantry (head/head) Machine.

There is something like 60+ hours of free Post Processor Training, but you've got to slow down a bit, and watch from the beginning. Take a look at the existing tools, which are built into Mastercam already, and how those tools work.

• Variable Modality < How does MP track "current" and "previous" variables. When do Variables get Updated? (What does 'updated' even mean?) What is the "Force Update" function, and when should it be used?
  • String Select Function < used the "modality" of a numeric variable [takes an integer], and looks at the 'current versus previous' value of that integer. If the values are the same, no string is output. If the values are different, it "looks up a string from a list of strings, and outputs that string", using an "zero-based index".
  • Variable Format Statements < Allows MP to assign different "numeric output" to a Variable, based on the "input units" of the Mastercam File. The 'fs2' function has '2 columns', which define Inch and Metric Formatting. This allows your Post to use either Metric or Inch "input", and get properly formatted "NC Code output", FROM THE EXACT SAME POST, with no Post Edits required.
  • Variable Output Formatting < Format Assignment Function. Allows you to specify a "Prefix" or "Suffix" String, for a Variable. (You can put a string in front or behind or both) for a number. The formatting of that number, is controlled by looking up a Format Statement.
  • A 1-dimension Array. This is just a "list of variables" (a column of values). All Arrays in MP are single dimension. They are just "lists of variables, with values". You need an "index" to the Array. This is the "name of the starting variable in the list".
  • Functions < MP contains dozens of functions for working with both Numbers and Strings. Once you understand more about Variables, Formatting, String Select, Modality, Etc., you can learn about Functions like "newfs" and "nwadrs". These allow you to change variable formatting and prefix/suffix strings, on-the-fly. But you have to be sure to "change the variables back to what they were originally, after you are doing outputting the modified values. This way you are preserving the "existing functionality". We do this often with Custom Drill Cycles, where we want to use an existing variable like "dwell" or "peck1$", for some other purpose. But we don't want to also screw up Peck Drilling or Dwelling, for any other Operation we may create that uses a Peck or Dwell value.
  • MP uses many 3-variable and 9-variable arrays. You can create your 'multi-dimension' array, by using a Buffer File. This is either a "Numeric Array", where you tell the system "how many variables are stored on each row", and then you read/write from that Array of values, using (2) lists of variables. (The number of variables in your "list" must match the number of "values" stored in the Row of your array.

Hello Collin,
   I really appreciated that you put some good words on me.  I've been knowing you since 2015 and that is how my problem of post solved (most of the time).  As you already know we are all CNC programmers and the owner just doesn't care about what we have done, they need the part on their desk the end of the day, PERIOD!!!!  Some of my jobs that they gave a BAD POST PROCESSOR and expected me to hand editing nearly every single tool. 

California is super expensive as you already knew.  3 beds 1 bath = 1.2 million dollars that's mean the salary also have to pay more than other states. That is why the companies demand so much us.  Not just knowing how to use MASTERCAM influence but also SOLIDWORKS.  I am just lucky enough to know those 2 and using smoothly.  Over the time, the work just demand us to self develop other software tools as well so we can compete to others.  In California, if we don't step up, we are out of the game within a year or two. 

Sad but so true about, sometime I want to move out of state, guess what all my family are here.  Either I get the job and keep up or getting fired by the next hire.

ps: If the setup men cannot run the program that's the programmer's fault.  I think that is how the way it works for everywhere though.  

Everything needs to be pictured, noted and attention to details as you see the bottom image of which my own setup sheet as well.

Thank you Collin,
   S.Luong

2.png.34b3ee33c218a9313ce083f0b2bf6251.png

36 minutes ago, PcRobotic said:

Hello CrazyMillMan,
    This is my very personal post, before I post anything out I always use mine to ensure everything is NO CRASH, COOLANT OFF, OR T1, H10, etc.  After I see everything is OK then I use the company's post.  It's just my PERSONAL CNC QC tool.

Thank you for your comment CrazyMillMan,
     S.Luong

Not sure why you use cuse words at yourself, but to each their own. Like I said and keep saying using MMD and MCD would save you so much headaches in the long run.

You are aware of edit common parameters to make quick changes to your operations to eliminate a lot the common mistakes you keep using your personal post to check for can do? This would seem to be one you have a hard time keeping correct thus needing to add the check for yourself. Process would be you know you posting for whatever machine before you post then go do the edit common parameters and done. Now you know what you know before you go forward and save yourself the worry of having to check your work in this section.

The other problem is unless all of the posts are exactly like yours with regards to the mi and mr values then using your post is a waste of time. That would mean all of the posts your company is using for all the different machines have this configuration to act the same way which then means all of those posts are not using the MMD and MCD process if we were to just think out loud.

13 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Not sure why you use cuse words at yourself, but to each their own. Like I said and keep saying using MMD and MCD would save you so much headaches in the long run.

You are aware of edit common parameters to make quick changes to your operations to eliminate a lot the common mistakes you keep using your personal post to check for can do? This would seem to be one you have a hard time keeping correct thus needing to add the check for yourself. Process would be you know you posting for whatever machine before you post then go do the edit common parameters and done. Now you know what you know before you go forward and save yourself the worry of having to check your work in this section.

The other problem is unless all of the posts are exactly like yours with regards to the mi and mr values then using your post is a waste of time. That would mean all of the posts your company is using for all the different machines have this configuration to act the same way which then means all of those posts are not using the MMD and MCD process if we were to just think out loud.

Some of the CRAZY POST that they downloaded somewhere and not buying through professionally, it's just a MESS such as.  Post out high speed toolpath without COOLANT, TAP CODEs were like OUT OF WACK,  there are a lot of things that I can say when I work some work environment as everyone must have their perfect post and company's?  Oh, no.. it takes for every to do by hand editing.

7 minutes ago, PcRobotic said:

Some of the CRAZY POST that they downloaded somewhere and not buying through professionally, it's just a MESS such as.  Post out high speed toolpath without COOLANT, TAP CODEs were like OUT OF WACK,  there are a lot of things that I can say when I work some work environment as everyone must have their perfect post and company's?  Oh, no.. it takes for every to do by hand editing.

It sounds like fixing the company post(s) should be the top priority if all the programmers are hand editing their code.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Tim Johnson said:

It sounds like fixing the company post(s) should be the top priority if all the programmers are hand editing their code.

I know it sounds stupidity but that is most of small shops in SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA are dealing with.  BIG SHOPS, their post sometimes not as perfect as we expected but at least it's up to 95% or the daily work.

1 hour ago, PcRobotic said:

I know it sounds stupidity but that is most of small shops in SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA are dealing with.  BIG SHOPS, their post sometimes not as perfect as we expected but at least it's up to 95% or the daily work.

This is very common all over, many large companies having posts that arent dialed in.

12 hours ago, PcRobotic said:

If you have time to update your post wouldn't you be giving your employer a greater benefit to update the posts the the other programmers are using?

• Like 2
19 hours ago, PcRobotic said:

See you think your story is different than others. I went to work for a shop in 2001 with a 5 Axis machine. Post was terrible and on my 1st day I got more done than the previous 4 people over 6 months had got done. The company supplying the post was the machine builder and it just wasn’t right. I reached out to my dealer Jim Gamble in Florida and he gave me the generic 5 Axis post and said see what you can do. I kept the machine running fixing the bad code and finally got the post dialed in after 3 weeks. I was running 5 Axis molds unattended without any NC Code verification that could run upwards of 170 hours. You think you had it rough I got plenty of my own horror stories of working for bad owners. I had one try to have me arrested for taking my tools out of the shop when I quit while they were gone. They had 5 employe tool boxes locked up in the tool room. They thought if they kept the employees tools they wouldn’t leave them and come back to work. I talked to the police they said possession is 9/10 of the law. They would have to prove you took your tools. I had keys to the shop and use to go in by myself and do the emergency shut down work. I packed all my stuff up and left my resignation letter on the owners desk. I get a call cussing me and yelling at me for quitting the next morning. The owner’s son comes by and gets my keys and was not happy I was leaving. Said sorry I am going to work somewhere else. I get a call that Monday from a police officer asking about what I had stolen from the company. He started going down the list and I told him I had receipts for the tool box and micrometer sets I bought while working there and the pay stubs where it was taken out of my check. They started back tracking then. Then he asked about all the computer programs and customer folders I had stolen. I had him walk out to the my file cabinet I had left and told him to look in the 3rd draw and all the floppy disks and customer files where there. He went out and found them and told me to have a nice day he figured out what was going on. 

I went and worked in a shop with an Integrex machine with a bad post out here in California and will not go into the details since it was really ugly, but got it sorted out and even did my own probing logic that I have shared on the forum to help others. I have asked for a lot of help on this forum and greatful to everyone who has helped me along the way. The emc group gave my wife $2,500 dollars years ago when I was in the Hospital in a coma. I will never forget that and part of the reason while I try to help as many people on here I can that are legal users of the software. We all have a history in our life, but I have chosen not to be bitter about it and help and give back as much as I have been given. I moved from Florida to California because I was tired of the culture in the shops. All my family still lives there and yes I miss them, but my wife and our kids are doing the best we can out here. Yes it is expensive and l live in a cheaper area than Los Angles or San Diego not as crazy at the bay area. We make the best of what live throws at us, but your not the only one who has had to deal with bad shop owners. 

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1

Anyone who has been in this trade long enough has a horror story or two to tell.  My father in law once said to me, "I've never met an honest machine shop owner".  They are few and far between, but they are out there.  I could spend hours telling my stories, but it's not worth it.  Let's just say that I've finally found a place where they respect me and my judgement.  I don't have to deal with my favorite thing - micro management, they give me the work and get out of my way.  The bonus, if I give myself a new project, a new post or fixture design, whatever, they allow it, no questions asked.  All of the less than desirable jobs I had before, help me to appreciate this one more.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
On 1/15/2022 at 10:07 AM, crazy^millman said:

See you think your story is different than others. I went to work for a shop in 2001 with a 5 Axis machine. Post was terrible and on my 1st day I got more done than the previous 4 people over 6 months had got done. The company supplying the post was the machine builder and it just wasn’t right. I reached out to my dealer Jim Gamble in Florida and he gave me the generic 5 Axis post and said see what you can do. I kept the machine running fixing the bad code and finally got the post dialed in after 3 weeks. I was running 5 Axis molds unattended without any NC Code verification that could run upwards of 170 hours. You think you had it rough I got plenty of my own horror stories of working for bad owners. I had one try to have me arrested for taking my tools out of the shop when I quit while they were gone. They had 5 employe tool boxes locked up in the tool room. They thought if they kept the employees tools they wouldn’t leave them and come back to work. I talked to the police they said possession is 9/10 of the law. They would have to prove you took your tools. I had keys to the shop and use to go in by myself and do the emergency shut down work. I packed all my stuff up and left my resignation letter on the owners desk. I get a call cussing me and yelling at me for quitting the next morning. The owner’s son comes by and gets my keys and was not happy I was leaving. Said sorry I am going to work somewhere else. I get a call that Monday from a police officer asking about what I had stolen from the company. He started going down the list and I told him I had receipts for the tool box and micrometer sets I bought while working there and the pay stubs where it was taken out of my check. They started back tracking then. Then he asked about all the computer programs and customer folders I had stolen. I had him walk out to the my file cabinet I had left and told him to look in the 3rd draw and all the floppy disks and customer files where there. He went out and found them and told me to have a nice day he figured out what was going on. 

I went and worked in a shop with an Integrex machine with a bad post out here in California and will not go into the details since it was really ugly, but got it sorted out and even did my own probing logic that I have shared on the forum to help others. I have asked for a lot of help on this forum and greatful to everyone who has helped me along the way. The emc group gave my wife $2,500 dollars years ago when I was in the Hospital in a coma. I will never forget that and part of the reason while I try to help as many people on here I can that are legal users of the software. We all have a history in our life, but I have chosen not to be bitter about it and help and give back as much as I have been given. I moved from Florida to California because I was tired of the culture in the shops. All my family still lives there and yes I miss them, but my wife and our kids are doing the best we can out here. Yes it is expensive and l live in a cheaper area than Los Angles or San Diego not as crazy at the bay area. We make the best of what live throws at us, but your not the only one who has had to deal with bad shop owners. 

Thank you for telling a true story. I don't tend complain things all I ask is help when I need help.

People in here asking me why this why that, today you have answered of all the questions of those who asked me for years.

On 1/17/2022 at 5:18 AM, bd41612 said:

Anyone who has been in this trade long enough has a horror story or two to tell.  My father in law once said to me, "I've never met an honest machine shop owner".  They are few and far between, but they are out there.  I could spend hours telling my stories, but it's not worth it.  Let's just say that I've finally found a place where they respect me and my judgement.  I don't have to deal with my favorite thing - micro management, they give me the work and get out of my way.  The bonus, if I give myself a new project, a new post or fixture design, whatever, they allow it, no questions asked.  All of the less than desirable jobs I had before, help me to appreciate this one more.

Thank you for sharing.

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2022 at 11:06 AM, Colin Gilchrist said:

Download a "fresh copy" of MPMaster.

Look at the Postblock > plast

This is a block for "tracking" Miscellaneous Integers and Real Numbers.

mi1$-mi10$ and mr1$-mr10$. These are reset, at every Tool Change Event.. MP does not track these variables, which is why you see the "plast" block.

The Developers of MPMaster created their own variables > last_mi1, last_mi2, etc.

You can add your own, but you must initialize the variable (create it), and then "add a line of code to 'plast' to set the value. But you must control "when does the variable get saved", and then "do something" with the information.

When you look at MPMaster, don't just "use what is already used", or you're going to run into problems, if you don't strip out all the code that already references those numbers.

mi1$ is used in many Posts, by default, so that is something you'll want to be aware of.

"How" you track the variable matters.

plast
      last_mi1 = mi1$  # < That will force the variable to write, every time.

plast
      if mi1S, last_mi1 = mi1$   # < This will only capture "positive" values, and track them.

Colin,
   How did you define "mi1S"?

Colin,

Thanks

1 hour ago, PcRobotic said:

Colin,

Thanks

Steven,

That was just a typo.

mi1$ through mi10$ < All the Misc. Integers are "predefined", but need a Format Assignment, if you're using those integers for output.

mr1$ through mr10$ < All the Misc. Real Numbers are "predefined", but need Format Assignment, if you're using those decimal numbers for output.

"last_mi1" would be a User Defined Variable. Same with "last_mr1".

last_mi1 : 0

last_mr1 : 0

But, you've got to "save" the values from the mi1$ through mi10$, and mr1$ through mr10$.

• Like 1