Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Help creating toolpath to skim cut stock

steventactical

A little back story on this: currently, on every single lathe program we make, the first operation we do is either run a skim cut around .03 deep into whatever diameter stock we're using, and around 3 inches long.  We then will program our steady rest to locate and clamp on this cleaned up area.  The way I currently am doing this is manually drawing a line in wireframe at the desired depth into the stock and then using a rough toolpath chained to that line.

Is there a way to create a toolpath that could easily be imported into a new program to accomplish this instead of having to manually do it for every program we do?  The biggest issue is that the stocks are almost never the same diameter.  I feel like there should be an easy way to accomplish this and I'm just missing something.