Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MasterCAM tapered bores

What toolpath would you guys recommend for machining a tapered wall bore (MasterCAM 2022 43/4 axis)? I have a bore roughly 5in dia at the large end on the mill and 1 in deep. the taper is 30 degrees. I know it can be done as simply as clicking "tapered walls" for a 2D path, but am looking to see if there is a better method using one of the 3D paths.

Thanks.

When you ask if there's a better method what may I ask are you looking to do more easily?

Are you having issues with how your currently doing it or just looking for other peoples input?

There's a 100 different ways of doing things and that's the great thing about this forum is people will share those ideas and  you've gotten some good ones so far 😃

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the help! Ended up using an OptiRough toolpath to rough it out and finished with a 2d contour (tapered walls). I was just curious if anyone had a go-to method that was more efficient. I think gms1's method of a threadmilling toolpath is interesting. I will likely play with that in the future. The parts turned out perfect and it was a short run of non production parts. The customer was very happy with the part. Just need management to get that 5-Axis.

• Like 1