Sign in to follow this  
CNC programming questions

MasterCAM tapered bores

What toolpath would you guys recommend for machining a tapered wall bore (MasterCAM 2022 43/4 axis)? I have a bore roughly 5in dia at the large end on the mill and 1 in deep. the taper is 30 degrees. I know it can be done as simply as clicking "tapered walls" for a 2D path, but am looking to see if there is a better method using one of the 3D paths.

Thanks.

You can flow line it, scallop it, even surface contour.  But from experience, 2D contour with a taper is the best option.  Much better finish, and more control, as you can add tool comp.

• Like 4

2D Swept

• Like 2

Threadmill works too. I use it quite a bit.

• Like 3

When you ask if there's a better method what may I ask are you looking to do more easily?

Are you having issues with how your currently doing it or just looking for other peoples input?

There's a 100 different ways of doing things and that's the great thing about this forum is people will share those ideas and  you've gotten some good ones so far 😃

• Like 2