Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Toolpath Groups Advise

#Rekd™

3 minutes ago, Brad St. said:

Sorry to hijack back to groups but am I missing something when I export a group with sub groups that it places all the ops inside the main exported group name?

Is there a feature that would allow you to keep the group structure when exporting\importing?

IDK but there is more than one method to import... if u drag a mc file and drop it in your toolpath manager with left button, u get instant import.

merging new part into old file is the best way to keep stuff intact... file merge.

then delete or move original part...

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Brad St. said:

Sorry to hijack back to groups but am I missing something when I export a group with sub groups that it places all the ops inside the main exported group name?

Is there a feature that would allow you to keep the group structure when exporting\importing?

There is a checkbox to import groups on the import dialog

There is more info here about using the nethook api to import as well..

My rules, treat toolpath groups the same as WCS - a separate one only for every operation.

OP1 G54 VICE (#1 toolpath group)
T1

T2

Blah Blah

OP2 G55 FIXTURE#12345 (#2 toolpath group)
T1

T2

Blah Blah

Then if a simple fixture (a couple of tools etc such as chick jaws) was to be made with the job, another separate toolpath group with the fixture toolpath within that so it's saved with the main prog. If it was a more involved fixture, then a file of its own.

And for Rotary work, the 1x toolpath group with the 1x WCS and planes planes planes! 

I would say, about the new points manager. It might make it easier for a new mastercam user to add 3 points, or 7, but for an advanced used managing hundreds of drill holes, it is a pita. 

While i am at it, the drafting note changes and lost functionality in smart dimension are also a major regression!! /end rant

1 minute ago, byte said:

I would say, about the new points manager. It might make it easier for a new mastercam user to add 3 points, or 7, but for an advanced used managing hundreds of drill holes, it is a pita. 

Exactly and though the masses my like the easy button the new point interface gives to them. Power users need something that is not a PITA.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, crazy^millman said:

Exactly and though the masses my like the easy button the new point interface gives to them. Power users need something that is not a PITA.

We could always implement our own, I suppose, a nethook would be nice...

3 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

What I've been saying since 2016.  More clicks, hidden features, major customization required to achieve moderate usability.  Now you need to mod the software to get back what was lost.

20 hours ago, Seedy steve said:

I could probably get 2017 back but I am used to this now. so hopefully I can use it until I retire.

already have to translate solid works files into parasolids to read them... I may be forced to update by something like that idk.

For what it's worth Steve, I also had problems with 2019. Mostly with the User Interface. The same kind of things you don't like, I also didn't like.

2020 was a decent improvement, and I thought 2021 was even better. (I know, once bitten, twice shy...) I like 2022 quite a bit. I feel like the team is really getting a handle on the Function Panels, and the "plumbing" under the hood.

I know you've got a bad taste in your mouth, from going to 2017 which you liked, to 2019, which you don't.

But I would seriously encourage you to take 2022 for a spin. There are a lot of really nice improvements, and more to the point > unless you're planning to retire in the next 3 years, Mastercam 2021 or 2022, could probably take you for the next 4-5 years, if you're just trying to hang on.

The decision would (of course) depend somewhat on if you're still on maintenance or not. But I would encourage you to at least go to 2021. I find 2022 to be one of the "Best 20xx Releases to date".

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
24 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

I thought 2021 was even better.

I have tried 2021 on another work station... it took about 5 minutes to see the first thing that bothered me.

u can no longer approach an arc slowly and lock onto the arc rather that the solid unless there is no solid under your cursor. I don't like to use solid geometry for tool paths because it is unpredictable and can spontaneously change. I had to figure out another way to isolate the arc geo. I used the arc filter for that project. just add another click or two. that is how it goes now a days just add more clicks for everything! why? simple work just keeps getting harder to accomplish.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

But I would seriously encourage you to take 2022 for a spin. There are a lot of really nice improvements, and more to the point > unless you're planning to retire in the next 3 years, Mastercam 2021 or 2022, could probably take you for the next 4-5 years, if you're just trying to hang on.

The decision would (of course) depend somewhat on if you're still on maintenance or not. But I would encourage you to at least go to 2021. I find 2022 to be one of the "Best 20xx Releases to date".

Random thoughts

Just that little checkbox for regeneration is enough to keep me using 2022. Granted still a n00b to MC. started on 2020  BTW,

There is also Ctrl-click for selecting hole features!!! 

Instead of importing groups, I have done that, I prefer to open a file of a similar part, merge a new model and save as the new part. Maybe I just am not checking the right boxes, but import doesn't give the best results.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, altamontmfg said:

Random thoughts

Just that little checkbox for regeneration is enough to keep me using 2022. Granted still a n00b to MC. started on 2020  BTW,

There is also Ctrl-click for selecting hole features!!! 

Instead of importing groups, I have done that, I prefer to open a file of a similar part, merge a new model and save as the new part. Maybe I just am not checking the right boxes, but import doesn't give the best results.

I also love the new Mesh Ribbon, and all the new Mesh Tools. It makes working with in-process stock, and/or Stock Flips, so much easier. I especially love the Remesh option.

The new "Unified 5-Axis" Path, and 5-Axis Auto-Deburring, worth their weight in gold. Plus, the Auto 3 + 2 is powerful as well.

Steve,

I know you're not big on trying 2021, or 2022, but try doing this, to see if it helps with your Selection issues:

> File > Configuration > System Configuration Dialog - Selection Page >

- Disable "Use glow highlighting"

- Disable "Use stipple on solids/surfaces/meshes"

- Disable "Use dashed on wireframe"

Turning off those 3 "new selection option" (eye-candy garbage to me), made the selection "like it used to be for the previous versions", and fixed a lot of my selection and visualization issues with the new versions... 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Plus, I probably don't see the behavior that annoys you, because I'm constantly "Overriding my Autocursor settings".

For selecting wireframe arc centers > hit "C" on the keyboard

For endpoints > "E"

For Midpoints > "M"

For Quadrants > "Q"

I find when I override the Autocursor settings (quick filter on an Autocursor "Type"), it is a bit easier to get the "Wireframe", rather than the "Solid Edge".

Last tip:

When I create Surface or Solid Geometry, I make sure those entities are set to "Thinnest Line Size". This property is used to show the edges of the model.

When I create Wireframe, or have existing Wireframe, I'll select it all and then set the Line Thickness to "medium". This gives me "thicker wireframe", overlaid on "thinner solid edges". It makes it easier to pick up wireframe geometry when using the Autocursor options.

• Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

I know you're not big on trying 2021, or 2022, but try doing this, to see if it helps with your Selection issues:

Turning off those 3 "new selection option" (eye-candy garbage to me), made the selection "like it used to be for the previous versions", and fixed a lot of my selection and visualization issues with the new versions... 

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

I show every Mastercam user these things and they cannot thank me enough and wonder how in the world someone would even think those as defaults is a good idea.

47 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

When I create Wireframe, or have existing Wireframe, I'll select it all and then set the Line Thickness to "medium". This gives me "thicker wireframe", overlaid on "thinner solid edges". It makes it easier to pick up wireframe geometry when using the Autocursor options.

Again everyone I show this to loves doing their wireframe this way.

No Ribbon is the other thing I keep using and people who see it and use my workspace get the hang of it really quick.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I found the glow highlighting annoying at first, I just don't look directly at it now and it's fine..

It can be a hazard me when people leave the thick wireframe on for the next person, because it can make it hard to see intersections and overlapping lines, which is highy error prone.

I definitely turned those things off at first, it's a lot to get used to, also turning off view transitions is a good timesave, i don't do that either anymore...

18 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

It wouldn't be bad if you added that on the tips and tricks thread

On 1/21/2022 at 1:41 PM, Colin Gilchrist said:

Maybe a silly question, but I disabled these 3 items, and for the most part, MUCH better!!

However, with "Use dashed on wireframe" disabled, I don't have any indication that I'm choosing a piece of wireframe.  When using these settings is it pretty much a necessity to use the autocursor settings?

31 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

Maybe a silly question, but I disabled these 3 items, and for the most part, MUCH better!!

However, with "Use dashed on wireframe" disabled, I don't have any indication that I'm choosing a piece of wireframe.  When using these settings is it pretty much a necessity to use the autocursor settings?

"Choosing" for selection, or to grab a "discreet XYZ position"? I believe the Autocursor is best suited to picking a "3D Point". For selecting geometry when performing a Transform, or to move/copy levels, etc., I rely on the geometry turning the color "solid yellow" to indicate the selection status. It is for this reason, that I also don't draw in Yellow, Red, or Purple (at least, I don't use the shades which are the Selection Color, Group Color, or Result Color.

On 1/22/2022 at 10:56 PM, cncappsjames said:

"... thick lines..."

:shudder:

That's a BIG negative ghost rider. 

I used to use "thinnest" for everything. Now with my eyes getting older (and being a Type 1 Diabetic), I find that the "medium" thickness is best for wireframe, while I leave my surfaces and solid models set to the "thinnest" display option. This means your wireframe geometry should be "more visible" when superimposed on top of the surface/solid geometry.

On 1/21/2022 at 1:52 PM, Colin Gilchrist said:

Plus, I probably don't see the behavior that annoys you, because I'm constantly "Overriding my Autocursor settings".

For selecting wireframe arc centers > hit "C" on the keyboard

For endpoints > "E"

For Midpoints > "M"

For Quadrants > "Q"

I used that C a million times...

then I  pretty well gave up on those for unreliability! another huge irritation!

how do u get them to work properly?

maybe it was that old PC I had?

"grumble grumble".

2 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

"Choosing" for selection, or to grab a "discreet XYZ position"? I believe the Autocursor is best suited to picking a "3D Point". For selecting geometry when performing a Transform, or to move/copy levels, etc., I rely on the geometry turning the color "solid yellow" to indicate the selection status. It is for this reason, that I also don't draw in Yellow, Red, or Purple (at least, I don't use the shades which are the Selection Color, Group Color, or Result Color.

I almost never use the Autocursor.  Occasionally, but not often.  I see so many of you power users utilizing, so I'm trying to use it more.  However, when trying out your suggestions in this thread, I also noticed that none of my hotkeys are enabled.  Well, they're "enabled", but nothing is assigned to any of them.  I even tried resetting them to default, and still nothing.  What could be the cause?

16 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

I almost never use the Autocursor.  Occasionally, but not often.  I see so many of you power users utilizing, so I'm trying to use it more.  However, when trying out your suggestions in this thread, I also noticed that none of my hotkeys are enabled.  Well, they're "enabled", but nothing is assigned to any of them.  I even tried resetting them to default, and still nothing.  What could be the cause?

I use it all the time, but not from the screen drop down, but from the RMB. I call them SNAP and SNAP Lock, but it is Autocursor and Autocursor Lock. Not sure what to tell you about the Hotkeys the ones I use work like they have.

image.png.eb97a7c81e78f28d77334a3529765028.pngimage.png.e4497eea79145005b0167b8b5b54214e.png

42 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

I use it all the time, but not from the screen drop down, but from the RMB. I call them SNAP and SNAP Lock, but it is Autocursor and Autocursor Lock. Not sure what to tell you about the Hotkeys the ones I use work like they have.

image.png.eb97a7c81e78f28d77334a3529765028.pngimage.png.e4497eea79145005b0167b8b5b54214e.png

Thanks Ron.  That's a good suggestion.  Do you know if there's a way to restore my default hotkeys?  Are they stored in a particular file, or anything like that?

49 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

Thanks Ron.  That's a good suggestion.  Do you know if there's a way to restore my default hotkeys?  Are they stored in a particular file, or anything like that?

in Program files under the installed version there is a common folder. In there are UserDefaults and SharedDefaults folders. In the UserDefaults/Config is the mastercam.kmp file copy that from there into the user folder for you login on your system. If you are using OneDrive then need to track down exactly where that is since OneDrive is such a mess for anyone that has had IT configure it and not a Mastercam user do it.