Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Stock step file relocates to G54 plane

sendithard

I'm trying to just get thru some tutorials fast now so I'm importing my part and my stock from the same cad file and they are pre-oriented nicely. The only change I want to make is move the G54 from the cad origin.

When I merge the stock.step file with the part.step file all is good. The part is perfectly .05 underneath the stock surface, etc. Then I make a G54. Then I click stock model icon and triple click the solid body on the screen and the stock jumps to the new origin so my location is way off.

I tried to unclick the stock plane button in the stock model creation deal and the stock stays put, but the stock model in the tree is red checked and once I regenerate it jumps again.

Where am I going wrong here?  Below shows my part and shaded stock nicely put together. The 2nd pic starts out nice, but once I have to make the stock model it jumps to the new G54.

stocky.JPG

Hi Sendithard,

This has to do with the planes checkbox in Stock Model. When you import a body/stl and try to use it as a stock model, it is located at Top (world coordinates) So, before you create your stock model operation, you should manually translate the stl/body to where you want to see it in relation to G54. Then, create the stock model operation and make sure planes are turned off (unchecked) so that you're not applying a transformation to the model.

Here's the second video in that Stock Model series that goes over when and how you might use the planes transformation, on both imported stock and in-setup stock:

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

@Chally72,

I'm modeling up the stock and the part together as they sit in the vise, so the stock fully envelops the part. I model both up so G54 will sit flush to the stop part surface.

I can therefor, just leave stock model plane unchecked and be done with it.

However, I was curious if you can add a plane to the top edge of the stock and make that the stocks master origin. I tried manipulating the stock around for fun and it appeared it was always tied to its native origin. I was never able to tie a new plane down to somewhere on the part and it stick there. It would be nice to create a new 'origin' for the stock so to speak.

You nailed it, yeah. Unfortunately, the "native orientation" for a solid body used in a stock model is always world Top, so you can never control the "From" plane of the transformation. It works fine if you're using the old-school way of creating stock of just punching in the bounding box numbers, but I almost always work off a solid body these days because I think it's much more powerful down the road. What this means is that if you wanted to do tombstone work and also use a solid model as stock, and your tombstone is way out in space/away from world top, you get this as a workflow:

• Like 1