Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New laptop for Mastercam/Solidworks

JB7280

16 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

The one they actually quoted was an RTX5000, but no i9.  It was a Xeon10855 2.8ghz, which I don't see in those benchmarks, but none of the Xeons were at the top, so I'd assume this one would be similar.

Contact the Dell business section and ask them for a quote. Then can configure it how you want it. I have no idea if they have I9 chips available. You can check Lenovo and Hp as well.

6 hours ago, JB7280 said:

Well that stinks.  Our IT group says supply is tight and there's nothing available in i9 with a RTX3000+.  Only the Xeon.  

We just bought an overclocked Boxx (i9 oc'd to 5.3ghz) with a Quadro RTX A4000.

They promised 3 weeks door to door.

One reason you are having trouble finding Quadro RTX**** cards is they are an old model, superseded by the new  Quadro RTX A**** 

see the attached pdf

Boxx i9.pdf

For those of you who love to geek out over "how does all this stuff work" at the lowest level, I present to you "MIT 6.172 > Performance Engineering".

What you should understand here though > Mastercam is not built around Multi-Threading. Almost every function you're used to running inside Mastercam is single-threaded. And many of the functions we are dealing with are "interpreted".

What this means is > we typically aren't using Cache in the most efficient of ways > the functions being called are simply "library functions", and we end up taking huge performance hits, because the of Cache Misses. We are constantly "running out to Memory (RAM)", Or worse, running out to "disk" (hard drive), to pull data into the Cache, so it can be processed.

• Like 4
On 1/25/2022 at 4:41 PM, Colin Gilchrist said:

For those of you who love to geek out over "how does all this stuff work" at the lowest level, I present to you "MIT 6.172 > Performance Engineering".

What you should understand here though > Mastercam is not built around Multi-Threading. Almost every function you're used to running inside Mastercam is single-threaded. And many of the functions we are dealing with are "interpreted".

What this means is > we typically aren't using Cache in the most efficient of ways > the functions being called are simply "library functions", and we end up taking huge performance hits, because the of Cache Misses. We are constantly "running out to Memory (RAM)", Or worse, running out to "disk" (hard drive), to pull data into the Cache, so it can be processed.

I clicked on that video and thought there is no way I'm going to watch an hour long video on programming optimization...was I wrong lol. Watched the whole thing and was intrigued the entire time!!
I have compared several different CAM softwares running similar type toolpaths on the same part and have noticed some are faster than others. Guess this is whats going on, better/more optimized programming.

I'd also like to add to this, we should all keep in mind that Ghz is not the end all be all that it used to be. We will probably never see any chips much beyond the 5Ghz range so how are they getting faster year over year...IPC. I wouldn't go as far as the video title that Ghz doesn't matter, but there are more things to consider in the overall picture (apple M1 being a prime example)  

On 1/25/2022 at 4:16 PM, gcode said:

One reason you are having trouble finding Quadro RTX**** cards is they are an old model, superseded by the new  Quadro RTX A**** 

Got this from Dell on the difference between the old RTX and the new RTX A

"Looking at the applications the RTX 4000 is a good fit and is in the recommended range for all applications listed.  I have quoted with the newer RTX A4000 with 16GB memory, the previous gen 8GB RTX 4000 is still available at a list price savings of $XXXXXX.  With the A4000 there are additional processing cores (6144 vs 2304) along with double the video memory.  This can allow concurrent applications to run or larger projects and assemblies to be worked on.