Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

converting solids to surfaces

TERRYH

In 2022 if I open a new file and have it convert the solid to surfaces it keeps all the colors used in the part, however if I open a new part without converting it and keep it as a solid and then convert solid to surfaces manually it does not maintain the correct colors. If I select use current it will turn everything red, if I select use original it will turn everything to some random color this is very annoying since we use colors to dictate certain things we need to do. Is there some way around this?  

solid to surfaces.png

Colors can be problematic because the Parasolid body can have a color attribute (or maybe it doesn't - there's no requirement for it) and then the individual faces can have their own color attributes (or not). And I've seen files where all of the faces have the same color ... but its different from the Solid body color.

When the body comes in to Mastercam, there's a "Use System Color for imported solids" that comes in to play when importing as 'Solids' (but not when importing as 'Surfaces'. That's off by default though.

We do try to bring in the solid color as well as the face colors when importing (both as solids and as surfaces), and its my understanding that running 'Convert solid to surfaces' after you've imported the solid does the same ... but it's likely they perform differently ... that's why having a file to test your specific circumstance would help me determine what's going on.

And on top of all that, this might even be a known issue that has already been corrected in the Tech Preview versions of MC2023 ... and I can help determine that with a file.

If a file is too big to email, I can send you a link to our 'sharefile' site where you could upload something.

Pete

• Like 1

I have worked here for 26 years 11 being in the office programming and with every previous version of MC it has worked properly but 2022 not so much like several other things we've found and dealing with. in another post. I can send you the file if you use wetransfer