Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Windows 11

Won't touch it with a ten foot pole until I have no other choice.  I'm still mad about being kicked off 7.  Bought my first Window 10 system this year.

Change is great, when it improves things.  Change for its own sake is detrimental.  Change that makes things worse is far too common.

If you thought Windows 10 tracked and controlled you too much...

• Like 2

I've been on it a couple months now. Few things I don't like, the right click menu in file explorer having half the items hidden is one. But the option to have it remember windows locations on monitors makes up for any short comings, for me anyways. I also find that the graphics look better in win11, not sure if thats HDR related or not.

For Mastercam, it all seems good. Just some issues with buttons that are pressed not being graphically obvious they are pressed, ie in the chain manager.

I did a quick benchmark on it as well and found no difference from win10. 

I don't think its adding any additional tracking over win10, I think you can turn most of it off anyways? 

Anyone on the fence, I did up a video which may help you decide on upgrading...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UiXLpmm1Nk

Not me anytime soon. When this laptop is on it's last leg and i have done all I can do to keep it limping along then I might switch. What I did is kept Windows 7 until the last laptop was unusable for Mastercam and Vericut. It is still working and my daughter uses it everyday for school. Funny when you have a kid using a laptop that is 6 years old that is still more powerful and than the best computers the school has. :D

• Like 3

At some point I hope someone builds some sort of universal compatibility/emulation layer for windows programs so they can be run in linux.

Probably a pipe dream tho!

If anyone had any doubt about where software is going/has gone heed these words:

"Software in the past was about solving problems in the real world. Now, the only problem it solves is how to get users cash from their bank account into (INSERT SOFTWARE COMPANY HERE)'s bank accounts faster and more often.":whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Zoffen said:

At some point I hope someone builds some sort of universal compatibility/emulation layer for windows programs so they can be run in linux.

Probably a pipe dream tho!

If anyone had any doubt about where software is going/has gone heed these words:

"Software in the past was about solving problems in the real world. Now, the only problem it solves is how to get users cash from their bank account into (INSERT SOFTWARE COMPANY HERE)'s bank accounts faster and more often.":whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

Winelib does this theoretically

3 hours ago, neurosis said:

Have you two tried to change any of the 'default applications' for anything yet? 

Wym?

4 hours ago, mwearne said:

I don't think its adding any additional tracking over win10, I think you can turn most of it off anyways? 

You can ask Windows to pretty please not track you.  No guarantee it works.  I don't have the time, energy, and expertise to do a deep packet analysis to find out.

1 hour ago, neurosis said:

I read that early on, they made it  a pain to change the default applications. The web browser in particular.

There was some backlash over it. I'm wondering if they've made this easier to do.

it is very easy, you simply open default apps from the start menu which is why I am using screenshots.,..

image.png.8fe1eefff34795faaf96e5073afecc36.png

image.thumb.png.048fdc06e65c231bcbe155f92b5c6c54.png

image.thumb.png.c4d115b725df32db6c2c19d634616222.png

Then you can setup browsers for different extensions

1 hour ago, crazy^millman said:

If that is the case that is stupid up one side of the stupid tree and back down the other side of it.

I must be that stupid because I agree with them. :lol:    Not everyone is computer savvy.  Over complicating something that should be basic is obviously something they did on purpose to make it more difficult for people (especially those who aren't PC savvy)  to switch away from Microsoft Edge.   Typical MS. 

The video I watched and the complaint(s) came from one of the guys @ Linus Tech Tips.

edit:  I should add - the video I watched was pre release I believe.  That's why I asked about it.

22 minutes ago, neurosis said:

I must be that stupid because I agree with them. :lol:    Not everyone is computer savvy.  Over complicating something that should be basic is obviously something they did on purpose to make it more difficult for people (especially those who aren't PC savvy)  to switch away from Microsoft Edge.   Typical MS. 

The video I watched and the complaint(s) came from one of the guys @ Linus Tech Tips.

edit:  I should add - the video I watched was pre release I believe.  That's why I asked about it.

Yes and the defaults do all of these things. Trust me I have the none computer savoy in my extended family and I am the one they all like to call with the computer problems. I remember years ago using Gotomeeting to fix one of my Aunt's computers in Florida that the GEEK Squad said couldn't be fixed. Everyone gathered around the computer as I was taking control of it to fix the issue it was having. They couldn't believe I could take control of it and do what I was doing from 2500 miles away. Point is okay have the dummy process, but don't make power users suffer because the masses are content being sheep.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, neurosis said:
1 hour ago, crazy^millman said:

Point is okay have the dummy process, but don't make power users suffer because the masses are content being sheep.

No disagreement there. 

It just seems like this is a little unnecessary.

they are gonna make us al work hard now with lots of clicks

If you like a clean Win10/Win11 you can use this tool:

https://www.christitus.com/windows-toolbox

It disables automatic updates, cortana, telemetry and other stuff, so you don't have to do all that by hand. Altough is possible you need to activate Winsearch by hand after it disables Cortana.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/disable-cortana-replace-windows-search/

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Zoffen said:

Anyone ever try this with mastercam?

Winelib is a development toolkit which allows you to compile your Windows applications on Unix.

Most of Winelib code consists of the Win32 API implementation. Fortunately this part is 100 percent shared with Wine. The remainder consists of Windows compatible headers and tools like the resource compiler (and even these are used when compiling Wine).

Thanks to the above, Winelib supports most C and C++ source code, resource and message files, and can generate graphical or console applications as well as dynamic libraries.

Winelib User's Guide - WineHQ Wiki

This is not something the end user would be able to use, Mastercam would have to be recoded.

2 hours ago, Matthew Hajicek - Conventus said:

As soon as I know Mastercam and Solidworks can work reliably on Linux without a noticeable performance hit, I'm gone.

6 hours ago, Zoffen said:

Anyone ever try this with mastercam?

What is your opinions on hosting a virtual machine on linux and running windows there

?

16 hours ago, Matthew Hajicek - Conventus said:

You can ask Windows to pretty please not track you.  No guarantee it works.  I don't have the time, energy, and expertise to do a deep packet analysis to find out.

You can turn off a lot of the telemetry from Win10 in the privacy tab of settings and it does turn off.

However there is still a lot of hidden telemetry....

1 hour ago, IbanezTim said:

You can turn off a lot of the telemetry from Win10 in the privacy tab of settings and it does turn off.

However there is still a lot of hidden telemetry....

Exactly when you got the NSA funding your Software you can do whatever you want.

👨‍✈️ Off Topic Alert 👨‍✈️

Hammer might be coming down any second for going OT. 🤔 😂

• Haha 1