Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

C-Y axis milling cutter compensation help

rchipper

I am fairly new to C-Y axis milling. I have been semi successful creating several programs to machine bores, thread milled holes and engraving on OD's.

The problem I am having is getting our machines to function using cutter compensation. I have read the manuals, (Hitachi Seiki- Seikos A10L and Hitachi Seiki-L III controls). I've used various G codes for comp I've tried different tool points and different offset values in the offsets with no luck. I can not not figure out how to make the cutter com work. Would programming with Computer, Control or Wear in Mastercam have any affect on this?

The machines either alarm out with a cutter comp error, (which I wrote down but can not find now), or it runs the program but changing the D offset values have no affect on the finished product.

We have a job coming up on these machines and I really would like to learn how to get this working. Unfortunately Hitachi Seiki is no longer around so that resource is no good. Trying to find applications help for these machines is difficult.

Can anyone please help me? What am I missing?

What is the cuter comp error you are gettting? This will help a bunch.

Quick things I can think of:

Do you have a Linear move when applying the cutter comp?

If you do then is your lead in line long enough to apply the desired comp value?

Have you tried positive and negative comp values to see if those work?

Sometime for milling on C axis lathes a different comp offset is used for a milling station as opposed to a turning station. This could br different for face and radial Live tooling. This is really machine and builder dependent.

I haven't programmed a cy axis lathe in a while but I did 1000's of cy axis lathe programs years ago. These were on mazaks tho.

Hopefully someone smarter than I can help you out!

There are all kinds of "Plane/Arc" issues to be dissected here. I'm with Zoffen > what size cutter, what kind of "lead in/out" values are you using? "Wear" is the best option. It will allow you to use a "+ / -" value, to change the size of the path. "Control" requires a larger lead in/out move, and is messy.

In addition, there are a bunch of Post Processor settings which must be setup correctly. In addition, are you using Polar or Cylindrical Interpolation? These are "options" which are controlled through a "Mill" Toolpath (mi4$), to enable "Canned Cycle" output.

The Post has specific 'scase' string settings, that control "is the Comp Code output inside or outside" the cycle.

Then, there are another set of 'scase' strings, which control the Plane Arc directions. (Allows you to swap G02/G03 output, based on which Axis Combination and Plane is active.)

This specific 'scase' string has 17 different settings, embedded and controlled by changing the 'digits' of the string. 0000000.00000000   < Each 'place' acts like a switch, where you can change the values, to flip output.

On the machines I remember running there was no comp control on them for Thread milling. We had to cut the feature see what the size was and adjust the program to make it correct. We wrote 10 different size sub programs and the operator would call them based off of the size they measure when they where running the machine. That old of a machine you have to adjust your programming for what is allows.

1 minute ago, crazy^millman said:

On the machines I remember running there was no comp control on them for Thread milling. We had to cut the feature see what the size was and adjust the program to make it correct. We wrote 10 different size sub programs and the operator would call them based off of the size they measure when they where running the machine. That old of a machine you have to adjust your programming for what is allows.

That's what I have been doing for thread milling. I was hoping there was a comp solution but I'm finding out that we may be out of luck. I may have to try to tapping. Although the lathe supervisor says he can't make that work. Oh boy.

Thanks for the input.

I actually met you at one of the Sandvik/Mastercam events in Socal years ago.

Thank you for the opportunity and for you sharing your knowledge. It is greatly appreciated.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Zoffen said:

What is the cuter comp error you are gettting? This will help a bunch.

Quick things I can think of:

Do you have a Linear move when applying the cutter comp?

If you do then is your lead in line long enough to apply the desired comp value?

Have you tried positive and negative comp values to see if those work?

Sometime for milling on C axis lathes a different comp offset is used for a milling station as opposed to a turning station. This could br different for face and radial Live tooling. This is really machine and builder dependent.

I haven't programmed a cy axis lathe in a while but I did 1000's of cy axis lathe programs years ago. These were on mazaks tho.

Hopefully someone smarter than I can help you out!

I will have to fire up the machine and rerun the program as I don't recall the alarm(s). I had written them down put can not find the report now. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2022 at 12:08 PM, crazy^millman said:

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been on here in a while.

That's pretty much what I am having to do. I was hoping to simplify things. Thanks again.

• Like 1