Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Contour toolpath containment boundary

sendithard

is there a way inside of the contour path to remove the toolpaths from a boundary selection?  I see this in roughing, but not contour. Similar to the stock contour selection zone in hsm/fusion.

I'm looking to turn the top pic below into the bottom pic. I'm up for a different toolpath idea if you have one as well.  Thanks.

Capture.JPG

@crazy^millman  Thanks, that was a new feature for me to learn, not to mention I had to learn some wireframe stuff. Anyway, I'm not thrilled with what I came up with. Here's why...I began by creating a curve all edges in wireframe boarder(red line below), then did the entity offset(pink outline below) enough to keep my toolpaths I need and eliminate the ones I don't.  The problem is this is a hard trim, it even cut my lead in perpendicular moves.

trimming2.JPG

17 minutes ago, sendithard said:

@crazy^millman  Thanks, that was a new feature for me to learn, not to mention I had to learn some wireframe stuff. Anyway, I'm not thrilled with what I came up with. Here's why...I began by creating a curve all edges in wireframe boarder(red line below), then did the entity offset(pink outline below) enough to keep my toolpaths I need and eliminate the ones I don't.  The problem is this is a hard trim, it even cut my lead in perpendicular moves.

trimming2.JPG

Yes it is dumb as box of rocks so there is that. I would try OPTI-Rough defining the stock and give it a large step over and see what it does. All else fails draw the toolpath you want and drive it that way. I still do that to get the exact motion I want when that is what I want.

36 minutes ago, sendithard said:

the same toolpath with 2d Dynamic as I did 2d Contour.  I don't see an option anywhere to limit the toolpath to a boundary

Sounds like a partial chain with contour is what u need, just break the long leg to isolate the aria better.

Or use Opti-rough like The Millman said.

• Sad 1

@JParis @Seedy steve

I'm somewhat new to cam, fyi.  I'm not seeing cutter comp in any of these other strategies or a contour final pass so you aren't arcing into the walls with the dynamic/adaptive paths. Are you all using these none profiling strategies to clean the floors up then just doing a one pass contour to clean the walls?   I'll work on the partial chain, I'm not entirely sure how that works since I am looking to profile the entire surface.

Thanks.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, sendithard said:

@JParis @Seedy steve

I'm somewhat new to cam, fyi.  I'm not seeing cutter comp in any of these other strategies or a contour final pass so you aren't arcing into the walls with the dynamic/adaptive paths. Are you all using these none profiling strategies to clean the floors up then just doing a one pass contour to clean the walls?   I'll work on the partial chain, I'm not entirely sure how that works since I am looking to profile the entire surface.

Thanks.

I would use the roughing strategy as above and just add contours to finish where I need them..

Sometimes you need to consider a feature and not the entire part...you can break things down to get tham as you need.  If you are looking for a one button type solution for everything, you're not going to find one that will satify everything you need to accomplish.

@JParis

Gotcha, that makes sense. I'm def not looking at one solution stuff. I'm not sure how MC does scallops strategies yet, but I spent a week on perfecting a scalloping strategy in HSM. It uses scallops very strangely. By nature it collapses a fillet feature toolpath from bottom to top fillet and you finish in the center with both collapsing lines competing for the meetup and you get a poor line in the middle. The workaround is creating a circle much large than the part so that line can't collapse quick enough given your stepover.  You can use flow but you get quadruple the points, etc. It makes no sense why hsm/fusion treats the scalloping operation such as this.  I saw a fillet tutorial on here recently and it looks real simple.

40 minutes ago, sendithard said:

@JParis

Gotcha, that makes sense. I'm def not looking at one solution stuff. I'm not sure how MC does scallops strategies yet, but I spent a week on perfecting a scalloping strategy in HSM. It uses scallops very strangely. By nature it collapses a fillet feature toolpath from bottom to top fillet and you finish in the center with both collapsing lines competing for the meetup and you get a poor line in the middle. The workaround is creating a circle much large than the part so that line can't collapse quick enough given your stepover.  You can use flow but you get quadruple the points, etc. It makes no sense why hsm/fusion treats the scalloping operation such as this.  I saw a fillet tutorial on here recently and it looks real simple.

Have you tried the new automatic regions?

Printer Cartridge: Automatic Region Chaining | Mastercam 2022 Signature Parts - YouTube

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2022 at 10:01 AM, sendithard said:

@JParis @Seedy steve

Thanks.

This is exactly what I do most of the time. You end up with 2 toolpaths but functionally what you are trying to achieve.

Partial chains work by picking the beginning of the contour and end of the contour. Sometimes requiring guidance at intersections. I find it easiest to use this on 2d geometry.