Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

GENERIC HAAS VF-TR_SERIES 5X MILL post question

I am trying to post a file for a Haas VF6 running a TR-210 trunnion
This is NOT a Next Gen machine
I downloaded the Generic Haas VF-TR_Series 5X Mill post from Mastercam's Tech exchange

5 axis rapids are being broken into 1­° rapid increments.
It seems to me that this would cause very jerky stuttering motion.
I tried Unchecking "Break rapid rotary motion" in the Control Definition (Rotary/Mill page)
but it will not stick.
I uncheck it, save, navigate to a different page, go back and it's checked again.
I've tried editing all the usual suspects in the post but they have no effect
I can't keep it from breaking the motion and I can't change it from G0 to G01 F500.
I'm baffled
Does anyone have any insight as to what's going on?

On 2/2/2022 at 12:01 PM, JParis said:

Check this Tom...

brk_max_ang  : -40    #'brk_mv_head' maximum angle move, applied if chordal
                     #calculation angles moves are greater (negative disables)

22 hours ago, gcode said:

Thanks, that fixed it

Hello, I have the same problem as you.
It does not make a continuous turn, it only increases 1º each time.

If I change the value to -40 it rotates continuously?

I do not understand why

brk_max_ang  : 1     #'brk_mv_head' maximum angle move, applied if chordal

skp_rdnt_ck  : 0     #Skip 'brk_max_ang' redundant angle check

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2022 at 12:01 PM, JParis said:

Check this Tom...

brk_max_ang  : -40    #'brk_mv_head' maximum angle move, applied if chordal

On 2/2/2022 at 1:21 PM, gcode said:

Thanks, that fixed it

Hello, I have the same problem as you.
It does not make a continuous turn, it only increases 1º each time.

If I change the value to -40 it rotates continuously?

I do not understand why

brk_max_ang  : 1     #'brk_mv_head' maximum angle move, applied if chordal

skp_rdnt_ck  : 0     #Skip 'brk_max_ang' redundant angle check

Can somebody help me?

The 'brk_max_ang' function tells the Post Processor to "break up reposition moves". Your value is set to '1', which means it breaks it every "1 degree".

Set that value to "-5". The negative sign disables the function, but just in case you do need the Post to break up a reposition move, you can change that "-5" to "5" (positive 5), which basically turns the "Breakup of Rapid Moves" back on.

The big issue with this post > it does not support DWO or TCPC "out of the box". It only supports "mechanically offsetting XYZ Coordinates" from the Center of Tilt and Center of Rotation, of the Rotary Platters.

Do you know what your distance is "between the center of tilt" and "the face of the rotary platter"?

Also, it is a good idea to mount a gauge sphere to the platter, using a magnetic base, and to probe the center of that sphere at C0, C90, C180, and C270, and then plot those coordinates in Mastercam.

Do the same thing, while tilting the Tilt Axis, and measure at A0, A30, A60, A90 (minimum). For a more complete assessment, you can use A0 A60 A90 A120, and if able, do the opposite side of that as well (A0 A-60 A-90 A-120).

By plotting those center positions in space, you can use 3-Point Arc, on different combinations of those "measured center points", to obtain the "Best Fit", of where those center positions are at.

All Trunnion Tables (Tilt + Rotate), have some mechanical error in the building of the trunnion. This is simply a fact of any mechanical assembly, as every component is manufactured to a tolerance value, and then you're stacking all of these parts together, to form the assembly.

You need to find the XYZ position of the "centerline of the Tilt Axis". On a TR Trunnion Table, this would be your A-Axis. On a UMC machine, this would be the B-Axis. The more accurately we can measure these positions, the more accurately the software can compensate for TCPC & DWO.

Then, once you have accurate values for XYZ position (from home) for the Tilt-Axis Centerline, you need to find the "offset" value, which is always perpendicular to the Tilt-Axis. On a TR Trunnion, this would be a "shift amount" in the Y-Axis (always a plus/minus amount, as you never know if the "offset shift" between the Tilt Axis and the Rotary Axis, is positive or negative. The shift could be in either direction, depending on how the machine was built mechanically).

For machines which use TCPC & DWO, on the NGC Control, you would enter these values:

• Setting 254 = "Shift/Offset between the Centerline of the Rotary Platter, and Centerline of the Tilt Axis"
  • Setting 255 = X-Axis Offset (from home) for Center of Tilt Axis
  • Setting 256 = Y-Axis Offset (from home) for Center of Tilt Axis
  • Setting 257 = Z-Axis Offset (from home) for Center of Tilt Axis

For older machines, without the software to perform Dynamic Offsets (TCPC & DWO), then you must enter these shift values in a different way. Instead of entering these values "in the Machine Settings", you must measure the 'delta difference' between the Tilt Centerline, and the Rotary Centerline, and enter those number as variable values inside the Post Processor itself. There are two sets of "shift values" > 'saxisx', 'saxisy', and 'saxisz'. These are used for the shift with 3+2 (positional) Ops. There are a 2nd set of shift values 'n_saxisx', 'n_saxisy', and 'n_saxisz'. These are used for the shift with 5-Axis (vector based) Ops.

You must put your WCS/Planes Origin at the Center of the Tilt Axis. Then, you must build your geometry "as it sits, in the real world", relative to that Tilt Axis Position.

The 'saxisx-saxisy-saxisz' variables are used internally inside the Post, to compensate for a shift, when cutting 3+2 Operations. The Post uses 'n_saxisx', 'n_saxisy', and 'n_saxisz', to perform the shift for 5-Axis (vector-based) operations. In addition, there is the use of 'shft_misc_r'. When this is enabled, you can now tweak output to an individual toolpath, by use of 'mr7$', 'mr8$', and 'mr9$'. (For XYZ shift). So, if you need to shift the NC Code by 0.00042 in X, and 0.000025 in Y, you can make those changes to MR7 & MR8, and then repost the NC Code, and the code will shift by however much you enter in those MR values.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4
  • 11 months later...

Just to further clarify on this, the DWO & TCPC functions are only available on the NGC Control. (Well, technically, there were some versions of the Classic Haas Control for UMC Machines, which supported these functions, but only the UMCs.)

For NGC Machines running a Trunnion or Tilt/Rotary Table, these machines use Settings 300-305 for Master/Slave on the rotary configuration. Master is the Tilt (A-Axis Centerline), while Slave is the Platter (C-Axis). Rotaries must be assigned according to the ANSI Standards (A-on-X, B-on-Y, C-on-Z), for DWO/TCPC to work properly.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1