Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

High Performance Laptops IN STOCK

JB7280

2 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Okay one that can be bumped up on Memory, but not Video card From Dell

Dell doesn't allow you to customize them any more like they use to. Have to reach out the business support side for something with a better card and more memory.

Thanks Ron.  I'll check it out.  I THINK our IT people checked with Dell, but I'm not sure.  I know they're normally HP people, but I told them get this from whoever they can.  

Is the RTX GeForce a big performance drop from the RTX Quadro?  I believe the GeForce is more of a gaming card?

19 hours ago, JB7280 said:

I don't see any i9's available.  

Xi has i9's on their configuration page

They show one configuration sold out , so maybe there others really are available

We just bought a Boxx Apex 3 

The wait time was 3 weeks as we insisted on a Quadro RTX A4000 video card

edit ... Boxx does not offer any i9 laptops with Quadro video cards

On 2/12/2022 at 10:40 AM, JB7280 said:

I've been looking for a laptop for awhile now, with i9 and an RTX Quadro GPU.  NOTHING is in stock anymore....ever.  Am I fighting a losing battle?  Should I settle for something lesser or stick to my guns?

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-p/ThinkPad-P15-Gen-2-15-inch-Intel/p/20YQ004TUS?orgRef=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&cid=ca:sem|se|google|gs_smart+shopping_laptops_desktops_workstations|gs_monitors||20YQ004TUS|13124836959|123133197835|pla-360319149967|shopping|brand&gclid=CjwKCAiA9aKQBhBREiwAyGP5lVCHEMd3rItqHmse3CFqGQum6JjUqpuFtn2re_YndakQzAVUbGla5RoCWXEQAvD_BwE

This looks like the one, rtx5000 and and i9

This machine is op?

Why do you need this, are you simulating massive parts? 

I would think a geforce rtx 3060 is fine for most peoples purposes and a lot cheaper.

My service contract is up in 6 weeks.  I had fried my i9 a year or so ago and had been operating in limp mode.  Well, two motherboards later I have a fully functioning laptop...  there was a reason I put it off.  Anymore, stability is all I need, but I have been told to maintain a laptop capable of high horsepower programming work.  I MIGHT touch Mastercam once a quarter now for work purposes on my laptop.  Usually anymore I am just coaching customers.  It had been so long since I a fully functioning processor running at full clock speed I forgot how much more productive my work laptop used to be and is again....   Anyway, I have been told by IT that I will be in this rig until the turn of the year unless it fails again between now and then.

Not looking forward to convincing my boss to approve the budget expense for another i9/quadro laptop.  Hopefully I can get 64 gig next time.  I have had this rig since April of 2019.  Minus not being able to overclock for a long while, it's been a good machine.  So far I have had to replace the battery once, speakers once, and mobo twice.  It has only cost me time.

2 hours ago, byte said:

Yes, very large chassis's with tons of features.  I've dumbed things down, but making a small push-pull operation, or removing some chamfers is taking up to 4-5 minutes to regenerate. 

Ours are just generally getting long in the tooth as far as specs go, and management wants us to get something that will do us well for a long time, or as long as possible.  

That Lenovo would definitely be a good choice.  Unfortunately it ships in 4+ months.  

4 hours ago, gcode said:

Xi has i9's on their configuration page

They show one configuration sold out , so maybe there others really are available

We just bought a Boxx Apex 3 

The wait time was 3 weeks as we insisted on a Quadro RTX A4000 video card

edit ... Boxx does not offer any i9 laptops with Quadro video cards

Definitely going to check out Xi.  They claim they can ship Feb 23rd.  I've never heard of them before.  Are they reputable?  Their prices seem pretty good too.

1 hour ago, meatychips said:

Ebay or amazon is your friend in this situation.  I got a pretty damn good lenovo p17, well two actually, off ebay brand new in box and lenovo is pretty open about their warranty acceptance.  Both have full warranty with extended support and such purchased.  

If I was purchasing for myself, I'd be totally open to eBay, but I don't think the company would be.  I appreciate the suggestion though.  I'm sure I'd be able to find something there.

11 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

If I was purchasing for myself, I'd be totally open to eBay, but I don't think the company would be.  I appreciate the suggestion though.  I'm sure I'd be able to find something there.

There are certified retailers for lenovo on ebay.  That's where we got ours from thus the warranty and such.

18 hours ago, JB7280 said:

Definitely going to check out Xi.  They claim they can ship Feb 23rd.  I've never heard of them before.  Are they reputable?  Their prices seem pretty good too.

Yes.. they've been around for years.

I've never used them myself, but there are several guys on eMC who do

1 hour ago, gcode said:

maybe :rolleyes:

The guy from Xi Computer said a guy ordered 2 machines, basically the same as I had quoted, back in October.  He said he shipped those 2 machines last week.  

He was telling me that according to Passmark, the new gen of i7 is only 4% slower than the i9, and the i7 would be available sooner.  However people on here whose opinions I trust suggested not to bother with anything other than i9.  

I don't know enough about hardware anymore to disagree with either.