Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mill-turn post edits

I learned a little something about Mill-turn posts.  We had an issue that was hard to put our fingers on.  It was difficult to work the edits because initially post edits would take several months (about 4).  We had been working that issue here and there for 4 years, and had developed methods of working around some of the issues, like simple math in cimco flipping arcs, or flipping polarity of code and stuff like that.  

Lately I got into a really complex part with a bunch of C axis cutting necessary on the lower path of our twin turret machines, and that part challenged our ability to have all the work arounds to make the situation functional and made it obvious we had to return to attempts to resolve it.  We began to talk to our reseller, and they were able to help me work through it more successfully as a totally new group of support people.  

We had been posting thread milling backward and conventionally and then changing arcs in cimco to get the correct hand with climb milling to run in the machines.  

We found that apparently some of the post infrastructure is based on the machine axis stickers on the face of the machines.  

We now had two different control versions of Doosan's TT1800SY machines, one the 31I, and two the newer I series control.  The axis stickers didn't match- the I series newer machines had the corrected revision axis sticker.  Our C axis polarity was wrong on the 31I.  The Lynx, the Puma, the TT1800SY's they all have the same polarity on the subspindle.  They all take the same code, including the 31I model from 2018, as well as the 31 model from 2013 that we traded in (we ran the same code on both before trading that 2013 in on one of the newer I series machines).  

CNC Software was able to flip the "Y axis" polarity of G12.1 polar coordinate interpolation, and flip the arcs, and that seems to have solved the issues.  So the Mill-Turn Sim seems pretty solid now.  

That solution required CNC to do something contrary to the work of two resellers of Ellison who had tried to straighten it out with them.  So we were lucky to have the pictures of the axis stickers so that we could prove there was something wrong here.  

1A.JPG

1B.JPG

• Like 4

I ran into a situation like this before.  Two new Nakamura WT-150's purchased at the same time, but the parameters were different causing the milling cutter comp to be on the wrong side and G2/G3 flipped on one of them.  The owner wanted to know why a program ran differently on the "same" machine, so I had to figure it out.  There is no replacement for having eyes on the problem.  Once I saw what it was doing and looked at the code, it was obvious what the problem was.

A few years ago a local shop had Mazaks and #2 came in with the spindle direction flipped so had a new post.

Then they bought #3 so had 1x post for 2x machines, and another post for the other.

I would have changed the spindle direction parameter and had 1x post for all 3....

• Like 1