Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Makino Pro5 V33 Cutter Comp...

Niezingerly

Howdy everyone...

Trying to get cutter comp to work on a Makino V33, Pro 5 control.

Don't fully understand the whole H1 D2 thing, but I don't really want to (yet).

I just want to get cutter comp to work, so I can adjust the size of a hole, right at the machine.

In Mastercam 2022, I am doing a Contour 2D operation, just cutting a 0.5000" diameter circle, in a piece of material

I am in this case using Tool #3, inside of Mastercam.

In Mastercam, Comp type is set to WEAR, comp direction is Left, the post outputs the G41, and whatever D number it is outputting right now, I have had it set to many things.

I have line on and arc on, in Lead-in / Lead-out

In the NC code, if I set the D number to D1, on this particular Pro 5 machine, I get an error.  Don't have a screen shot of the error, bad on me...

If I set the D number to any other number (D2, D3, D17 were all tried), the program will run.

I have 0.0000" in the D Geom field for T3, and 0.0000" in D Wear.

But...

When I put a comp value into the Tool Table, in D Wear, for Tool #3, I get no change in the diameter I am cutting.

I don't get any errors, but it is not changing the diameter that it cuts.

I tried a large value, like -0.1000", in D Wear, and no change...

A little more info...

I am also running a V33i Pro 6 Machine.

On that particular machine, I have found that H1 D2 works.

I program the circle exactly as above.

I have 0.0000" in the D Geom field for T3, and 0.0000" in D Wear for T3.

Program will run, and I will get a 0.5000" diameter circle.

If I go into T3 D Wear, input -0.001", the program will cut the circle -0.001" per side smaller, so the cutter comp I input actually affected the cut.

Yes, I can and have posted and reposted and reposted and reposted, to adjust the hole, and yes, that does work.  But, I am having to make adjustments continually, and applying cutter comp right at the machine would sure make things alot easier.

I am machining +0 / -.0002 diameter tolerance dowel pin holes in M2 hardened steel (that stuff that cutters used to be made of, before carbide), and with many many holes to cut, I am having to adjust the ccomp alot.  Again, sure would be nice to be able to do that, right at the machine.

Any ideas as to why the ccomp is not taking effect?

Thanks for the help in advance...