Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MasterCAM for SolidWorks

How does MasterCAM for SolidWorks compare to MastercCAM 2022 as far as programming toolpaths? I currently run both of them independently. I use SolidWorks for my part/fixture models and MasterCAM for programming the toolpaths. Is it worth exploring the SolidWorks version? I do all CAD modeling in SolidWorks so it seems very convenient but I also am quick/comfortable with MasterCAM as a separate program. Curious to hear thoughts before I reach out to the reseller.

Wellll....your decision might already have been made for you.  Can't really comment on your question directly however, it looks like Mastercam for Solidworks is in "sunset" status starting w the 2024 release.  Meaning v2024 is slated to be Standalone only.  This is information I received from my Reseller recently.

Personally, on a "lesser" computer than I have today...and older versions...running Mastercam for Solidworks was not a "solid" experience for me.  And we're not doing anything terribly complex.  My workflow is pretty much how you describe - parts and fixtures in SW...and paths in Mastercam.  I usually get fouled up when trying to merge new revisions when I'm working on the Standalone version - but that's a "me" issue I think more than Mastercam.  I wouldn't say it's a bulletproof system [Standalone]...but for me its been significantly more stable than within SW and not bad compared to other software I use.  I'm looking at you Hexagon...

• Like 1

Thanks for the insight. The main reason I was asking is that we frequently have minor rev changes on parts or fixtures that I overlooked during the initial design process and merging different models without redoing toolpaths would be fantastic. I tend to get crashes often in MasterCAM the more I merge new models. I highly doubt its a computer issue since I just got a new one 2 years ago thats decked out for MasterCAM and Solidworks. Perhaps there is an easier way to accomplish this in MasterCAM that I am unaware of. Definitely not going to look into it any further and relearn a new method of programming for 2 years.

About the only thing I can add to that is...if I'm merging...I'm saving immediately after i merge whatever I'm merging...

There is an option for "Change Recognition" that attempts to re-match toolpaths...I've only attempted it a few times...but it's always been less error-prone to march through and re-select geometry for me.

• 1 month later...