Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Threadmilling geometry

So not a Guru

To drive my threadmills, I've have been using the major diameter of the thread size I need. This is how I've done it since I started using MC and up until 2022 I always got good results, we always started with no radius offset, ran the path and checked it with a GO/NOGO gage. It was always undersized and we would then subtract the GO diameter from the NOGO diameter, divide it in half & adjust the offset. Most of the time that would get us a good thread, if not we adjusted until it did.

Since 2022 that has changed. Now we have to create geometry that is at least 0.010" smaller than the major diameter! Even the we sometimes blow out the thread on the 1st pass.

Did something change with the issue of 2022?

I have 2021 because of the IT people... But, here's an example of what I use for a #6-32 thread with a SPTM098LA threadmill. I have these exported as .ops files.  It's great when I can just pick the thread I want, pick the location and depth and get a good thread on the first attempt.

image.png.9c12430f8648196cbe2ce2d7e2cc992a.png

• Like 2

I never ever use arcs to drive threadmill (or circle mill for that matter) as it has scrapped parts in the past and I have lost all faith in it. I only use points and I set the diameter myself in the toolpath to what I want.

I have helped so many programmers with this when they select a solid edge for 40 holes then select that one arc thats .01" bigger and wonder why its blown out.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3