Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

xeon vs i9?

TacoMachinist

Looking into some fresh computers for work.

From what I've been reading on here everyone is still partial to the i7 i9 processors over the Xeon's

Any of the forums I've read are at least a couple years old so is this still the case?

Currently looking at workstation p340 SFF

Intel Xeon W-1250

Quadro p1000 4gb

32gb of ram 

5 axis machining (with CAMplete) + some Solidworks thrown in.

Not a huge computer guy (yet) so any input is appreciated! 

18 hours ago, tgelata said:

Seeing almost only i9's in the most recent posts with the only xeon not ranking a bit behind...

I guess that answers my question lol. 

Been trying to read up so much I feel like I'm almost splitting hairs at this point..

tl;dr:  Go with an i9 with as fast as clock speed as you can afford, like GCode said.

There's a bit more detail on a recent post I answered here, if you're interested:

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently bought two HP z books.

One off the shelf i9 with 64G RAM and an Quadro A2000.

It performs better than I expected.

I also got a custom build which I specified I wanted balanced DIMs to help control the heat from the 128G of RAM.

I ended up with the latest Gen i7 (it had the configuration for the balanced DIMs) and with the 128G ram and A4000 card it totally smokes the "backup".

• Like 2
On 4/8/2022 at 8:25 AM, nickbe10 said:

I recently bought two HP z books.

One off the shelf i9 with 64G RAM and an Quadro A2000.

It performs better than I expected.

I also got a custom build which I specified I wanted balanced DIMs to help control the heat from the 128G of RAM.

I ended up with the latest Gen i7 (it had the configuration for the balanced DIMs) and with the 128G ram and A4000 card it totally smokes the "backup".

The ZBooks are nice notebooks. I am running an i9 with 128Gb ram, and 2x 2Tb SSD's, and a loaded Quadro. It chomps through TopSolid and Vericut nicely.

• Like 1