Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Controlling redundancy in 5x toolpaths

ookpik

TL;DR - Can toolpath #3 in the attached file be instructed to post at A90. B0. rather than A-90. B180., which is what it defaults to?

--------------------------

With our 5-axis setup (Haas VF2-2TR; X-Y-Z and an A-B trunnion where A is parallel to X and B parallel to Z at A0.), there is sometimes redundancy in how a part could be oriented for a given tool orientation in CAM.  A tool oriented in the Back plane could machine using A90. B0., or A-90. B180., with different XY coordinates for each, but the same resulting part.  Usually, Mastercam figures this out and I don't need to consider it, but sometimes I would like to control which setup is used, for example to reduce cycle time reorienting between toolpaths, or if one setup is preferred for coolant direction, visibility to operator, filming, etc.

I have attached a minimal example using the default post, which doesn't allow B rotation but you can still see when it tries to post B180. because it throws an error.

Posting toolpath #2 gives a series of contours that start at A0. B0. and ends at A90. B0.

Posting #3, which should be identical to the last entity in the series above, instead gives a contour at A-90. B180.

One thing to note is that using my actual 5x post, it is able to recognize the above redundancy, and instead does #3 at A90. B0. as I want it to.  But, without #2 for 'context', it puts #3 at A-90. B180.  Does anyone know how I could control this, in a situation where I only have a single toolpath?

AB TEST.emcam

"Typically" the programmer set their "bias angle" in the Misc. Int./Misc. Reals. So, as long as you set your TC Plane correctly, along with the correct bias angle, you should have the desired tilt preference.

Each post is different though so consult your Post Processor instructions you got from your dealer to be sure.

HTH

• Like 2
On 3/27/2022 at 11:04 AM, ookpik said:

TL;DR - Can toolpath #3 in the attached file be instructed to post at A90. B0. rather than A-90. B180., which is what it defaults to?

--------------------------

With our 5-axis setup (Haas VF2-2TR; X-Y-Z and an A-B trunnion where A is parallel to X and B parallel to Z at A0.), there is sometimes redundancy in how a part could be oriented for a given tool orientation in CAM.  A tool oriented in the Back plane could machine using A90. B0., or A-90. B180., with different XY coordinates for each, but the same resulting part.  Usually, Mastercam figures this out and I don't need to consider it, but sometimes I would like to control which setup is used, for example to reduce cycle time reorienting between toolpaths, or if one setup is preferred for coolant direction, visibility to operator, filming, etc.

I have attached a minimal example using the default post, which doesn't allow B rotation but you can still see when it tries to post B180. because it throws an error.

Posting toolpath #2 gives a series of contours that start at A0. B0. and ends at A90. B0.

Posting #3, which should be identical to the last entity in the series above, instead gives a contour at A-90. B180.

One thing to note is that using my actual 5x post, it is able to recognize the above redundancy, and instead does #3 at A90. B0. as I want it to.  But, without #2 for 'context', it puts #3 at A-90. B180.  Does anyone know how I could control this, in a situation where I only have a single toolpath?

AB TEST.emcam

Education file is not going to allow me to answer the question correctly. I need to see a good legal Mastercam file with the Post attached to help. In my opinion (WHICH IS NOT POPULAR) best bet is to get a hold of your Mastercam dealer who can then reach out to others if they don't have the answers to the questions you have to get your pointed in the right direction.

Sorry for all those who feelings I just hurt saying such a statement, but after all the years on the forum of too many walking like pirate, talking like a pirate and acting like a pirate to not think might be a pirate. No using an educational file doesn't give me the warm fuzzy put up a legal Mastercam file or move on. We all know this forum is dying and sorry to see it go, but welcome to the new order of we will be told what to think and how to think. 

• Like 2