Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Active Reports Chuck Jaw Name

trachal

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the chuck jaw name from MasterCam into the active reports template? I've tried looking through the XML tag list and searching through the Samples in my setup sheets folder, but I'm unable to find this field. I'll post a screenshot of what text I need.

Thanks!

715477929_ChuckJaw.thumb.png.f0646ce443145a13e19734c2564a2faf.png

1 hour ago, trachal said:

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the chuck jaw name from MasterCam into the active reports template? I've tried looking through the XML tag list and searching through the Samples in my setup sheets folder, but I'm unable to find this field. I'll post a screenshot of what text I need.

Thanks!

715477929_ChuckJaw.thumb.png.f0646ce443145a13e19734c2564a2faf.png

Probably not there. Will have to send a request to QC to see about getting it added. To far past the 2023 Beta if not been added to get it added. Might be 2024 release before you will see it which will release in 2023. Yeah Mastercam is cool and being on the cutting edge of being hipster and dating things a year ahead. 🙄

1 hour ago, crazy^millman said:

Probably not there. Will have to send a request to QC to see about getting it added. To far past the 2023 Beta if not been added to get it added. Might be 2024 release before you will see it which will release in 2023. Yeah Mastercam is cool and being on the cutting edge of being hipster and dating things a year ahead. 🙄

🙁, guess I'll look into if it's in 2023 then. I can just enter what I need into a manual comment, but it would be nice to not have to add extra info.

Thanks for the Reply!!

Actually it is available.

under the SZ group in the xml file

image.png.43fb0ee27953c181258603edc54290be.png

image.png.cf8bc8103501bf5880c379ba72cb062c.png

The way to find this is to use the "secret handshake"  

I put the name chucky jaws in the field (something unique) 

and then ran the setup sheet, invoking the secret handshake,  by holding the Ctrl key down and then clicking on the green check icon.

You will be prompted if you want to deactivate the RPX Parser.  Answer: no

Then you will be prompted if you want to display messages.  Answer: no

The you will be prompted to Write all data to XML.   Answer: Yes

Using windows explorer go to the  directory shown below, select the latest XML file and drag it and drop it onto an open page in Google chrome.

image.png.1a5b265572775cebbd40c84b5318d749.png

Chrome will display all of the fields in the XML file.  

Use Ctrl-F to find the chuck jaw name that you entered (i searched for chucky.

From there you can use Active reports designer and embed that field into oone of your reports.

The reason that we use the secret handshake is: that Mastercam only gathers the data that are used in the RPX reports.  It leaves out a lot of information that it doesn't need.  The secret handshake forces Mastercam to write all data to the XML file.

• Like 5

Forcing the XML file is a pretty cool trick that I was unaware of. Thanks for sharing. 

On my lathe setup sheet I would like to display the max Z depth for every tool. When I force the XML file I can see that the max depth comes up in a few spots on the file. One instance is 

<MIN-Z-TPLANE>-1.274</MIN-Z-TPLANE>,

When I add the MIN-Z-TPLANE to a text box on my setup sheet it doesn't output a value.

I am using active reports and the mastercam lathe-operation module. Just cant get it to output like spindle speed, feed, stock to leave, etc...

On 4/1/2022 at 9:46 AM, scottm085 said:

When I add the MIN-Z-TPLANE to a text box on my setup sheet it doesn't output a value

Active Reports is finicky regarding the hierarchy of the reports.  

For my Turning min/ max   I have to preceed the MIN-Z-TPLANE with   TOOL/TOOL-L/MIN-Z-TPLANE

Same for the Max: TOOL/TOOL-L/MAX-Z-TPLANE

For the SFM or RPM, Feed, etc.  there is nothing in front of the Datafield.  i just use SFM, RPM, STOCK-TO-LEAVE-X, etc.

Sometimes the RPX file that calls the subreport that you are working on passes data through to the subreport without outputting anything and if you delete that report template you can lose the report/subreport structure and therefore data output.

One of the things that I do when building a new setup sheet is to write down the hierarchy so that I can see and go to the RPX template that I want to work on.

This is the hierarchy for the MT RPX.  (I use the MT RPX exclusively and have it setup so that if there are only lathe operations, it will output lathe operations.  The same thiing with Mill operations.  And I have the header for each operation color coded.  Blue = Mill, yellow = Lathe,  Red = Manual entry.)

Setup sheet (MT) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (File) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (OPERATION) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (OPERATION-L) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (TOOL) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (OPERATION-M) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (TOOL) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (OPERATION-T) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (MAN-ENT-INFO) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (TOOLS) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (OFFSETS) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (SZ) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (SZ-M) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (SZ-L) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (TOOL) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (CAPTURES) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (SZ) .rpx

I shared a short Setup sheet some time ago (2019) based upon this concept and it is still available:

• Like 1
On 4/1/2022 at 12:49 PM, Bill Craven said:

Active Reports is finicky regarding the hierarchy of the reports.  

For my Turning min/ max   I have to preceed the MIN-Z-TPLANE with   TOOL/TOOL-L/MIN-Z-TPLANE

Same for the Max: TOOL/TOOL-L/MAX-Z-TPLANE

For the SFM or RPM, Feed, etc.  there is nothing in front of the Datafield.  i just use SFM, RPM, STOCK-TO-LEAVE-X, etc.

Sometimes the RPX file that calls the subreport that you are working on passes data through to the subreport without outputting anything and if you delete that report template you can lose the report/subreport structure and therefore data output.

One of the things that I do when building a new setup sheet is to write down the hierarchy so that I can see and go to the RPX template that I want to work on.

This is the hierarchy for the MT RPX.  (I use the MT RPX exclusively and have it setup so that if there are only lathe operations, it will output lathe operations.  The same thiing with Mill operations.  And I have the header for each operation color coded.  Blue = Mill, yellow = Lathe,  Red = Manual entry.)

Setup sheet (MT) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (File) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (OPERATION) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (OPERATION-L) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (TOOL) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (OPERATION-M) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (TOOL) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (OPERATION-T) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (MAN-ENT-INFO) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (SZ) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (SZ-M) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (SZ-L) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (TOOL) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (CAPTURES) .rpx

-Setup Sheet (SZ) .rpx

I shared a short Setup sheet some time ago (2019) based upon this concept and it is still available:

Thanks again for the advice. I did get my setup sheet to finally output the max z depth. For my setup sheet all I needed to do was go from MIN-Z-TPLANE to TOOL/MIN-Z-TPLANE.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
On 3/31/2022 at 10:13 PM, Bill Craven said:

Actually it is available.

under the SZ group in the xml file

image.png.43fb0ee27953c181258603edc54290be.png

image.png.cf8bc8103501bf5880c379ba72cb062c.png

The way to find this is to use the "secret handshake"  

I put the name chucky jaws in the field (something unique) 

and then ran the setup sheet, invoking the secret handshake,  by holding the Ctrl key down and then clicking on the green check icon.

You will be prompted if you want to deactivate the RPX Parser.  Answer: no

Then you will be prompted if you want to display messages.  Answer: no

The you will be prompted to Write all data to XML.   Answer: Yes

Using windows explorer go to the  directory shown below, select the latest XML file and drag it and drop it onto an open page in Google chrome.

image.png.1a5b265572775cebbd40c84b5318d749.png

Chrome will display all of the fields in the XML file.  

Use Ctrl-F to find the chuck jaw name that you entered (i searched for chucky.

From there you can use Active reports designer and embed that field into oone of your reports.

The reason that we use the secret handshake is: that Mastercam only gathers the data that are used in the RPX reports.  It leaves out a lot of information that it doesn't need.  The secret handshake forces Mastercam to write all data to the XML file.

Thank you very much for this Post. I'm like 5 months late reading this, so my apologies lol. I tried the exact thing you did in this post, and <CHUCK-LH-NAME> isn't in my XML report. I'm still on 2020, so maybe that is where my issue is. I ended up just typing all this info into machine comment. Would have rather more control using it the way you showed in your example though. Are you on a newer version of Mastercam than 2020?

chuck lh name.png