Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Circle Mill error: The cutter diameter is larger than the arc diameter.

utsav

I am getting an error that says the cutter diameter is larger than the arc diameter while using circle mill. I am trying to mill out a hole of diameter 0.55 inch with 0.5 inch flat end mill. I don't  understand this error as this dose not make sense because my arc diameter is larger than my mill diameter. I also tried using a smaller mill 0.375 inch and I am still getting the same error. 

Is there any way to mitigate the problem? 

Thank You. 

45 minutes ago, utsav said:

I am getting an error that says the cutter diameter is larger than the arc diameter while using circle mill. I am trying to mill out a hole of diameter 0.55 inch with 0.5 inch flat end mill. I don't  understand this error as this dose not make sense because my arc diameter is larger than my mill diameter. I also tried using a smaller mill 0.375 inch and I am still getting the same error. 

Thank You. 

Is this an error you are getting in Mastercam, or when you run the code on the machine

Can you post the code you are getting

39 minutes ago, utsav said:

Thank You.

Welcome to CNC Programming 101. Understanding applying Cutter Compensation to the cut. Many of the earlier controls didn't give us the option of putting in anything but the radius of a tool. We would get into situations like this and try to cut an ID shape and get the same error on the machine. We would have to make a move above the part to apply the cutter comp large enough to allow it to be applied with the radius value of the tool and then bring the tool into the hole and cut the shape we wanted to cut. Then we would have to remove the tool from the hole and then move the tool away with enough room to turn off the cutter comp at least the radius of the tool. The builders starting allowing Wear Comp and got away from requiring people to only use Radius. That is what wear comp is for to change the comp by the value of the tool wear. The other advantage is the use of Zero for a cutter compensation and drop our tool into a tight feature and use a small move to activate and deactivate cutter comp. Rules still have to be followed here where we cannot have .01 worth of wear added, but only program .002 room to apply it. Circle mill has different ways to control things and take the time to learn what they are and what doesn't make sense will become understandable.

• Like 1