Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Unwanted rapid retracts with 3d flowline

Are there any tricks to getting rid of the retracts when using the 3d flowline toolpath? Currently driving off of surfaces made from the solid model chamfers. 

I am assuming the retracts are because the surfaces are individual surfaces instead of one flowing surface? I am not experienced with modifying surfaces, but it seems that if I was able to join all of these surfaces I could create a smoother path? 

Looking for any tips or tricks to expand my 3dmilling experience. 

image.thumb.png.2a2cd494750553c29f731de8342a4f4e.png

15 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Number 1 trick to getting the tool to "stay down", is to adjust your Gap Settings.

But yes, you've likely got a Flow Direction issue.

First, try this:

Increase your Gap Size to 0.500".

In your "method" to keep the tool down, select "Follow Surfaces".

Thank you very much for this suggestion. I had played with the gap settings using the "% of stepover" and not getting the results I wanted, switch from % of step over to "gap size" and follow surfaces method and I now have exactly what I wanted. Thank you again!!

image.png.913a1f526849b33c350901c18eb84651.png

5 minutes ago, Pgreenlaw said:

Thank you very much for this suggestion. I had played with the gap settings using the "% of stepover" and not getting the results I wanted, switch from % of step over to "gap size" and follow surfaces method and I now have exactly what I wanted. Thank you again!!

image.png.913a1f526849b33c350901c18eb84651.png

Awesome, but just be careful, since you can see there are areas on the toolpath where a "cut on one surface ends", and the tool then needs to transition to the "start of the next cut". You can see there are 'loops' where the cutter is 'staying down', and you just need to check in Verify to be sure those loops aren't actually gouging the part. Technically, they should not do that against the "drive surfaces" but there are other adjacent surfaces which may not be checked for gouges.

That is the purpose of the "Check Surface" function. To make the toolpath "aware of other adjacent surfaces", which are not part of the toolpath drive geometry, but where you need the path to not touch them.

I only add Check Surfaces, "if I have to", since they will tend to either "modify the cut motion" (trimming away some portion of the path), or they will cause the tool to retract.

So, if you do need to use them, select them as "check surfaces", and then put a "stock to leave" value in the Surface Parameters. I would use a value like "0.002" (0.05mm), on the Check Surface Stock to Leave...

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Awesome, but just be careful, since you can see there are areas on the toolpath where a "cut on one surface ends", and the tool then needs to transition to the "start of the next cut". You can see there are 'loops' where the cutter is 'staying down', and you just need to check in Verify to be sure those loops aren't actually gouging the part. Technically, they should not do that against the "drive surfaces" but there are other adjacent surfaces which may not be checked for gouges.

That is the purpose of the "Check Surface" function. To make the toolpath "aware of other adjacent surfaces", which are not part of the toolpath drive geometry, but where you need the path to not touch them.

I only add Check Surfaces, "if I have to", since they will tend to either "modify the cut motion" (trimming away some portion of the path), or they will cause the tool to retract.

So, if you do need to use them, select them as "check surfaces", and then put a "stock to leave" value in the Surface Parameters. I would use a value like "0.002" (0.05mm), on the Check Surface Stock to Leave...

This is all great info that I truly appreciate and will add to my programming notes for the future. Thank you again for the second response. 

I was slightly concerned with the small loops but everything looks great in the simulation and I think these paths will give us a great looking part and eliminate a lot of hand deburring that I am trying to avoid:)

image.png.98e899293a33d29b0ebb2369f47c755b.png

• Like 1