Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam for Solidworks

JB7280

14 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

I never see anyone mention that they're using Mastercam for Solidworks.  Is it not worth using?  Is it limited, compared to Mastercam standalone?

It has been floated that it will be sunseted in 2023 so not sure why you would want to get something that will only be developed for one more version if that does prove to be true. Get your dealer to get an official word.

I use MCfSW a lot for designing and programming fixtures and tooling 

It is very useful to have tooling and fixture designs associative to your toolpaths as

they almost always require edits.

I've heard rumors that MCfSW is going to die off completely, or become a stand alone product after 2024.

I don't have the budget to buy and maintain a 2nd seat of Mastercam, no matter how much I like MCFSW

Either way my days with MCfSW are numbered if the rumors are true.

I have played with it a little bit myself. I have zero Solidworks experience so to say it was a struggle is an understatement. This, of course, was due to my total lack of training in Solidworks. It made me appreciate all the little tools in the stand alone Mastercam version!

I was looking at using it for the parametric side of it. We make very similar parts and I wanted to use it to just import a model, update the equation tables, and regen the tool paths. I was able to get this accomplished somewhat. I ended up putting the project on the shelf due to work load. Just when I was getting around to it again, I read on the official forum they are dropping it (rumor). Boss man said drop the idea then, no sense in going forward with it. 

I really like MCFSW.
I don't use it nearly as much as I'd like though
The main reason is because I am the only programmer in our organization that knows how to use SolidWorks.
We have dozens of family of parts products  that would be ideal for automation with MCfSW, but I can't create a library of part
files if I'm the only programmer who can use them.
I've been with MCfSW since it's beginning and I'm sad to hear it's going away.
I feel really bad for the people who have made MCfSW their primary CAM package and 
bad for the people at CNC Software who have spent the last 15years developing it.
I'm surprised that MC's new owners would cede this segment of the market to AutoDesk.
I was hoping they would step up their game.
Instead, they are dropping their sword and walking away.
I suspect this is just one of many unpleasant surprises coming our way as the CAD/CAM market consolidates.

• Like 3
On 4/9/2022 at 11:23 PM, Corey Hampshire said:

I have played with it a little bit myself. I have zero Solidworks experience so to say it was a struggle is an understatement. This, of course, was due to my total lack of training in Solidworks. It made me appreciate all the little tools in the stand alone Mastercam version!

I was looking at using it for the parametric side of it. We make very similar parts and I wanted to use it to just import a model, update the equation tables, and regen the tool paths. I was able to get this accomplished somewhat. I ended up putting the project on the shelf due to work load. Just when I was getting around to it again, I read on the official forum they are dropping it (rumor). Boss man said drop the idea then, no sense in going forward with it. 

Easily achieved in other CAD/CAM that supports parameters, thats for sure. The whole process makes a lot of sense.