Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Compatiblity between educational and professional versions?

Kensho

Hi, 

I am new to mastercam and I  am trying to understand how compatibility works.

Are files created on a professional version usable and modifiable on an educational version and vice-versa? Is there any watermarking? If so, is it removable?

Are files backwards compatible and usable in any version of the software? Can I use a file created and saved on Mastercam 2022 on Mastercam 2021 and transfert it back to the 2022 version?

Thanks.

Ps: I did a search before asking my questions, and I was not able to get an answer.

14 minutes ago, Kensho said:

Hi, 

I am new to mastercam and I  am trying to understand how compatibility works.

Are files created on a professional version usable and modifiable on an educational version and vice-versa? Is there any watermarking? If so, is it removable?

Are files backwards compatible and usable in any version of the software? Can I use a file created and saved on Mastercam 2022 on Mastercam 2021 and transfert it back to the 2022 version?

Thanks.

Ps: I did a search before asking my questions, and I was not able to get an answer.

To answer one or two of your questions 

https://www.mastercam.com/solutions/home-learning-edition/

Most software now, not just Mastercam are not backwards compatible. You can open older versions with newer version, i.e. Mastercam 2022 can open 2021 and earlier files but earlier versions cannot open 2022.

I hope that clarifies things for you.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, AHarrison1 said:

To answer one or two of your questions 

https://www.mastercam.com/solutions/home-learning-edition/

Most software now, not just Mastercam are not backwards compatible. You can open older versions with newer version, i.e. Mastercam 2022 can open 2021 and earlier files but earlier versions cannot open 2022.

I hope that clarifies things for you.

For the backward compatibility, yes.

I was also able to see with the link, that the HLE version saves files with .emcam ( as opposed to .mcam for the professional version, I suppose).

Does the HLE differ from the educational suite? If so, are files compatible between the two?

As far as I understand, the HLE does not produce G-code, but I think the educational suite does.

Though I heard that the educational version requires being on the school network to be able to use the license.

I would like to not be too bound to my school's physical location, so I am exploring my options.

That's why I asking so many questions.

My workflow would be:

1 - create part geometry or use existing one to create tool paths in mastercam.

2 - generate G-code

3 - verify tool paths in Vericut

I am trying to figure out a way to do as much as possible outside of school.

Thanks.

From the EULA.

The Mastercam Learning Edition, as well as its electronic documentation, requires the use of a Software Security Mechanism. This software is for educational and informational use only and creates a format that cannot be used with an industrial version. Use of the Learning Edition installed on computers in an educational institution (classroom, lab, or similar venue) is a violation of this License Agreement. The Learning Edition can be used by students and instructors to practice Mastercam on their personal computers. The Learning Edition is a limited term license and will expire approximately one year from the initialization of the license. Some options and 3rd party add-ons are not available with this software.