Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solidworks part orientation

aaron tabor

I created a part on solid works in the top plane.  I imported it into mastercam and the top view on solidworks translates to the back plane/view on mastercam? Will I have to make my drawings in back view on solid works for them to come out with the right orientation on mastercam? I included the solid works drawing so you can see what I am saying.

lesson 2.SLDPRT

It's easy to move the part in mastercam and I would leave everything how it is. Once in a great moon a part comes in 100 inches away from zero but now there is an alignment to origin transform.

Last time I messed around in the works of solid moving the origin was added sketch or operation.

8 hours ago, Ocean Lacky™ said:

This confuses me I plan to take a solidworks course on caminstructor so I hope there is a lesson on creating a coordinate system on solidworks otherwise I am just going to draw in the front plane for it to translate to the top plane on mastercam

1 hour ago, AMCNitro said:

Thats why you use Planes and call it a day, no need to move the part.  ITs very rare these days that I move a part, on simple on operation parts, other than that I just create a plane

I teach anyone using MT to always move the model to TOP/TOP/TOP doing it any other way is not going to end well. I also will take the BASE WCS and rotate it 90 degrees to get C0 to face Top verses front on the machine after it is created by MT.

• Like 5

I was taught a couple of years ago when I started with this software, that with "A" axis work the part needed to be at TOP TOP TOP, since then I found all that is needed is a correctly oriented "AXIS" plane. I would agree though when adding more axis' I.E. MT/5axis, start with the part in world model space at TOP.

My standard practice is to not move the model if possible. 

4 minutes ago, cruzila said:

I was taught a couple of years ago when I started with this software, that with "A" axis work the part needed to be at TOP TOP TOP, since then I found all that is needed is a correctly oriented "AXIS" plane. I would agree though when adding more axis' I.E. MT/5axis, start with the part in world model space at TOP.

My standard practice is to not move the model if possible. 

I don't move models for anything else unless it is a Mill/Turn part in MT or Lathe. I have done Contour heads on Mill with adding a Lathe Machine group and making a WCS needed to support it for posting code not in TOP/TOP/TOP, but it was not started as a Mill/Turn part it was started as a milling part that needed Turning added to it to support the needed code for the contour head. It was cool to work out a numbering system based off the type of work we were doing with the different types of Turning tools using the contour heads. Seeing a machine that can correctly control contour heads and the added ability of that machining to a big part is pretty neat. For anyone not sure what I am referring to here are some links:

G & L Contour Head Demo

Cogsdill

When programming a machining center I never move/translate my part. I create my base plane and then work from there. Lathes/MT, I do as @crazy^millman suggested. 

I think most CAD packages make XY the front plane. Not sure why, but whatever. It's just a plane and you can pick/create a new one if need be so it's really no biggie IMHO. 

When programming a machining center I never move/translate my part. I create my base plane and then work from there. Lathes/MT, I do as @crazy^millman suggested. 

I think most CAD packages make XY the front plane. Not sure why, but whatever. It's just a plane and you can pick/create a new one if need be so it's really no biggie IMHO. 

3 minutes ago, Tim Johnson said:

I always move my part and all associated fixtures because I'm also building my Vericut file. It's much quicker to build it in Mastercam.

WCS is supported through the interface with Vericut. If you don't have the interface I would strongly consider getting it.  Just need to create the attach point in the same reference as you want it to fall into machine. I have a MT part that has gone through 13 operations and the HMC operations are in completely different Mastercam files and I have 5 different MT files for operations. Without the interface it would be double if not triple the work to set al that up.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

I teach anyone using MT to always move the model to TOP/TOP/TOP doing it any other way is not going to end well. I also will take the BASE WCS and rotate it 90 degrees to get C0 to face Top verses front on the machine after it is created by MT.

Good information to have in case I ever have to do MT.

18 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

WCS is supported through the interface with Vericut. If you don't have the interface I would strongly consider getting it.  Just need to create the attach point in the same reference as you want it to fall into machine. I have a MT part that has gone through 13 operations and the HMC operations are in completely different Mastercam files and I have 5 different MT files for operations. Without the interface it would be double if not triple the work to set al that up.

Most of my fixtures have to be modified for the parts I'm running so I still need to bring them in but I also have some that don't. So the interface can grab the fixture(s) from another file at the same time as my part file or is it a separate process?

58 minutes ago, Tim Johnson said:

Most of my fixtures have to be modified for the parts I'm running so I still need to bring them in but I also have some that don't. So the interface can grab the fixture(s) from another file at the same time as my part file or is it a separate process?

If the fixture is saved as a STL then yes you can grab whatever you want in the interface. Or you build a majority of what you need in the seed file and then can add which what you are probably having to do in some situations. The interface cannot grab from different Mastercam files.

• Thanks 1