Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What is the best tool?

Good morning, I have to machine some slots in ductile iron and was wondering what the best application based on this teams vast experience. 

the tool had to stick out 9.2 min based on fixture and part clearance.

I'm already talking to the tool reps  and getting feed back from them.

Thanks in advance

slots.png

18 minutes ago, cncappsjames said:

What if you picked the best tool based on material and necessary LOC then found a shrink fit holder plus a tapered extension to take up the difference? I think I'd go that route if possible before looking for a tool that long.

JM2CFWIW

:coffee:

Great Idea.. we don't have a shrink fit machine..

I got Sandvik moving in the direction of a replaceable tip cutter.. built up from Cat50 to C4/C3 with a Dampening tapered extension.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, jean said:

Great Idea.. we don't have a shrink fit machine..

I got Sandvik moving in the direction of a replaceable tip cutter.. built up from Cat50 to C4/C3 with a Dampening tapered extension.

You don't need a shrink fit machine, just a MAPP gas torch.  I did that for a few months while evaluating shrink fit and it worked great.  Just takes a bit longer.

For that kind of reach, I'd consider roughing it with a highfeed endmill first; they're pretty tolerant of low rigidity situations.  Helical and Maritool have some that would work.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Matthew Hajicek - Singularity said:

You don't need a shrink fit machine, just a MAPP gas torch.  I did that for a few months while evaluating shrink fit and it worked great.  Just takes a bit longer.

For that kind of reach, I'd consider roughing it with a highfeed endmill first; they're pretty tolerant of low rigidity situations.  Helical and Maritool have some that would work.

Don't try that with shrink fit extensions. The proper heating needed and time ti bring it up to heat is extremely important. Have a customer try that on a Adapter for a screw on body. It got stuck about 1/4 into the shrink holder. Sat there on the Tooling cart for 10 months until they got a Shrink machine. First thing we did was take it to the shrink fit machine and heat it up correctly and it slipped own into the holder correctly.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
24 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Thanks Colin, I love that system and have implemented it through my years in this industry. I've forwarded the HASS machine web site to the president and managers for their review.

• Like 1

I was looking at the Shrink Holders on the Haas website. They are roughly $120-160 each. If you got 20 holders, with an average of $150 each, that's a savings of around $3K on the holders. That is a pretty great deal, for having that capability.

I also love the idea of a Capto reduction, to give you the reach, and a replaceable-tip cutting tool.

For replaceable tips, I've use the Ingersoll 47D RQ 90-degree Variable Pitch Tips in Titanium, and loved them. I would bet they handle Cast Iron great, but that grade doesn't come in a Sharp Corner version. The Series 48 & 49 Tips do come in sharp corner, and they are also available in multiple flute lengths (1.5xD!) if needed.

chip-surfer.gifSeries: 47D_RQ - 90° Variable Pitch Tip for SS & Hi-Temps

chip-surfer.gifSeries: 48_ & 49_ - 90° End Mill Tip

Sandvik, Kennametal, and Iscar also make replaceable tip tools, so I'd look for a vendor with the best local service and support.

• Like 2
On 4/26/2022 at 9:55 AM, Colin Gilchrist said:
...I'd look for a vendor with the best local service and support.

A good tooling vendor is worth their weight in gold. I'm at a customer right now. MSC is their vendor. Their tooling guy comes in 2-3x per month helps the customer optimize feeds and speeds. He's probably shaved 20% of of one of their regular run parts.

• Like 1
On 4/26/2022 at 11:55 AM, Colin Gilchrist said:

I was looking at the Shrink Holders on the Haas website. They are roughly $120-160 each. If you got 20 holders, with an average of $150 each, that's a savings of around $3K on the holders. That is a pretty great deal, for having that capability.

I also love the idea of a Capto reduction, to give you the reach, and a replaceable-tip cutting tool.

For replaceable tips, I've use the Ingersoll 47D RQ 90-degree Variable Pitch Tips in Titanium, and loved them. I would bet they handle Cast Iron great, but that grade doesn't come in a Sharp Corner version. The Series 48 & 49 Tips do come in sharp corner, and they are also available in multiple flute lengths (1.5xD!) if needed.

chip-surfer.gifSeries: 47D_RQ - 90° Variable Pitch Tip for SS & Hi-Temps

chip-surfer.gifSeries: 48_ & 49_ - 90° End Mill Tip

Sandvik, Kennametal, and Iscar also make replaceable tip tools, so I'd look for a vendor with the best local service and support.

Yeah, I'm working with Sandvik. But I will keep Ingersoll in mind for future endeavors.

Thanks for you feed back, very appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...