Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HELP WITH G54.4

motor-vater

There's a lot going on in that post <laughter>

Regarding the alarms, my guess is there could some parameters set incorrectly. 

To know how to properly answer some of them I'm going to need a copy of your machine's parameters. Send me a DM or e-mail me directly. 

Now, regarding probing while WSEC is active, your Renishaw InspectionPlus software needs to be fairly new... say within the last 3 years AND you need some parameters set correctly. If any of those two are deficient it won't work. 

Regarding handle positioning while WSEC is active, I've only ever tested/checked to see if my part was flat after error correction. If there is error on your theoretical axis it will require a simultaneous XY move to check straightness of an edge. I've not run a table/table 5-Axis that had handle jog that could move 2 axes simultaneously.

Shoot me your parameters and I'll take a look. I think I'll have a little time tomorrow while my part runs and I wait for a CMM report. Also let me know of the machine is a 31i-A5 or a 31i-B5.

6 hours ago, cncappsjames said:

There's a lot going on in that post <laughter>

Regarding the alarms, my guess is there could some parameters set incorrectly. 

To know how to properly answer some of them I'm going to need a copy of your machine's parameters. Send me a DM or e-mail me directly. 

Now, regarding probing while WSEC is active, your Renishaw InspectionPlus software needs to be fairly new... say within the last 3 years AND you need some parameters set correctly. If any of those two are deficient it won't work. 

Regarding handle positioning while WSEC is active, I've only ever tested/checked to see if my part was flat after error correction. If there is error on your theoretical axis it will require a simultaneous XY move to check straightness of an edge. I've not run a table/table 5-Axis that had handle jog that could move 2 axes simultaneously.

Shoot me your parameters and I'll take a look. I think I'll have a little time tomorrow while my part runs and I wait for a CMM report. Also let me know of the machine is a 31i-A5 or a 31i-B5.

Just had this very issue on 4 different machines in the last month from a OEM with parameters not set correctly. I was being told it was posting and code issues. I took 3 different posts for one machine and came up with the same code then it was hard to argue it was the post.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Just had this very issue on 4 different machines in the last month from a OEM with parameters not set correctly. I was being told it was posting and code issues. I took 3 different posts for one machine and came up with the same code then it was hard to argue it was the post.

I'm looking for the shocked face emoji. THe suck thing about ALL of this is FANUC gets the bad rap here and the MTB comes out smelling like a rose... even though they are 100% at fault for not getting the support they need from FANUC (which BTW they are more than happy to help MTB's get squared away).

I'm not sayin' I'm just sayin.

46 minutes ago, cncappsjames said:

I'm looking for the shocked face emoji. THe suck thing about ALL of this is FANUC gets the bad rap here and the MTB comes out smelling like a rose... even though they are 100% at fault for not getting the support they need from FANUC (which BTW they are more than happy to help MTB's get squared away).

I'm not sayin' I'm just sayin.

Fanuc was who help sort it out the MTB was not helpful at all. The AE is doing his best, but he is getting 10 different directions from the MTB and asking me to help sort it out. I have developed a test block for running 5 Axis machines through several different motions and toolpaths to test them. I mix 3+2 and full 5 Axis features on the part with a CDS on one of the faces with a Swarf Cone toolpath on the ID of the CDS. All 3 points on the CDS come together nicely in 3+2 and the different transition of 5 Axis with 3+2 finishing then the machine and post should be able to handle just about anything anyone throws at them. The OEMs like it because no more waiting for the customer to get around to running the machine to sign off on it. The run the test block give them a good part and prove the machine is good. Your CAM System is not up to the task then they tell them to call me and I recommend Mastercam. Yes that is the CAM Software I use to earn a living so it will be what I recommend.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Fanuc was who help sort it out the MTB was not helpful at all. The AE is doing his best, but he is getting 10 different directions from the MTB and asking me to help sort it out. I have developed a test block for running 5 Axis machines through several different motions and toolpaths to test them. I mix 3+2 and full 5 Axis features on the part with a CDS on one of the faces with a Swarf Cone toolpath on the ID of the CDS. All 3 points on the CDS come together nicely in 3+2 and the different transition of 5 Axis with 3+2 finishing then the machine and post should be able to handle just about anything anyone throws at them. The OEMs like it because no more waiting for the customer to get around to running the machine to sign off on it. The run the test block give them a good part and prove the machine is good. Your CAM System is not up to the task then they tell them to call me and I recommend Mastercam. Yes that is the CAM Software I use to earn a living so it will be what I recommend.

I would love a copy of that file! I have a couple I've made over the years myself, but I'd like to see the master's work.

29 minutes ago, So not a Guru said:

I would love a copy of that file! I have a couple I've made over the years myself, but I'd like to see the master's work.

When I find the Master your referring too I will let you know. Sorry this one I am holding close to the vest. Had one of the MTB customers not using Mastercam want to share it with all of the shops in their group and I specially told them that is 5th Axis CG Inc. Intellectual property. They can purchase the model to be shared in their group only, but they don't own the right to that file. I do some fancy lettering on one of the faces with a ball endmill for each MTB or customer I provide the test block for. Nice dog and pony show. I have people make them out of 6061-T6 and they look really nice when completed.

• Like 2

We typically do a modified NAS979 (we had to buy the obsolete standard from NIST IIRC) combined with a feature from the ISO TC39SC2 - N2185 standard (that we also bought). We had a customer requirement for machine tool buy-off one time so this particular test file was the result of that effort and expense.

Along with the ANSI NCITS 37-1999 APT Standard because a CAM vendor with a massive superiority complex told me they "strictly" adhered to the APT standard <laughter>. I said yeah, you adhere ot the APT standard like everyone adheres ot the IGES standard. I was LOL he was not. <more laughter> When proven wrong... #crickets Smug bastid.  

The reality So Not A Guru is you do not need anything complicated to test/check #19700-#19705 parameters on a trunion machine. A 2" x 2" x 2.5" cube with uniform pockets width, length, and depth on the 5 Exposed Sides. Face the top with the end of the tool, do a contour for the 2x2 with the sideof the tool. Mic it and adjust cutter comp to get the perfect size, then mill all the pockets. The individual walls will tell you which direction (if any) you need to move things.

Remember kids, kinematic numbers are not necesarrily the same numbers as COR work offsets. I made that mistake once. <laughter> Work offsets CANNOT compensate for the 1/2 Offset Error(s) (#19703-#19705)

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

For what it's worth > Haas now sells a MRZP Test Cut Kit, which includes everything needed to make a test cut (besides the block of aluminum).

https://www.haascnc.com/service/troubleshooting-and-how-to/how-to/umc---mrzp-test-cut-kit---ad05450.html

PN: 93-3347 UMC - MRZP TEST CUT KIT

This kit comes with a self-centering vise, and 3 tools (complete tool assemblies), needed to cut a test block, to find and correct MRZP Errors, using their 'standard test program' (which you can find in that Haas Link above).

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
36 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

For what it's worth > Haas now sells a MRZP Test Cut Kit, which includes everything needed to make a test cut (besides the block of aluminum).

https://www.haascnc.com/service/troubleshooting-and-how-to/how-to/umc---mrzp-test-cut-kit---ad05450.html

PN: 93-3347 UMC - MRZP TEST CUT KIT

This kit comes with a self-centering vise, and 3 tools (complete tool assemblies), needed to cut a test block, to find and correct MRZP Errors, using their 'standard test program' (which you can find in that Haas Link above).

Leave it to HAAS to put a endmill in an ER holder and say that is a good way to make test cuts on a part.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, cncappsjames said:

A 2" x 2" x 2.5" cube with uniform pockets width, length, and depth on the 5 Exposed Sides. Face the top with the end of the tool, do a contour for the 2x2 with the sideof the tool. Mic it and adjust cutter comp to get the perfect size, then mill all the pockets.

This is, essentially, what I've made. I've used it on several different machines to determine the necessary adjustments.

Update, Test part back from inspection. I am doing something wrong in the errors page for sure... My holes were shifted + 0.028 in my X direction. Every thing else I cut seemed right... Manager loosing patience, sad because I am this close to making a life changing thing happen in our set up and they want to shut me down when I'm 0.028 from the finish line. Lol

Im gonna give it one last go in the AM before everyone gets there. So any last minute suggestions are appreciated. I have my G54 set to the theoretical perfect point of Origin (which is where I am programed from in mastercam) I calculated that from the Standard G54 point kept on the control for COR) I am trying to figure out the best way to set the errors. What I am doing is setting the B axis orientation to get my part straight, then probing the center of the part to get my X while the part is in its new B location. I am using G58 to store the values. Then basically subtracting the location of my G54 from G58 to update my error Values. In todays case that was b-.101 and x .0469 and a z of -.0544. Am I doing this wrong? Any last minute help super appreciated

When I'm not getting what I am after with a probe, I will go to XY Tilt and Rotary program 0.

Next I will set my relative XY Tilt and Rotary to 0. Next I will flatten the part and move to a feature I can measure, then out those error numbers in the appropriate axis in the WSEC AND put the Tilt and Rotary value of the actual Machine Position. 

Z you'll have to work out by cutting and measuring.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

First of all, huge thanks to everyone who contributed on this thread back in 2022. I learned a LOT from this thread.

Last couple days I've been digging into "dynamic work offsets", which 3 days ago I knew almost nothing about. End goal is to load a fixture into the machine within +/-.030ish of where it is drawn in Mastercam. Then pickup the fixture and let the machine compensate to the exact location without having to reprogram/repost. Matsuura HPlus630 4-axis HMC with Fanuc 31i control. Almost all our work is 3+1 (programmed from COR), but if we figure out how to use this successfully we can introduce it to our 5-axis team. 

Here's what I've learned:

1. G54.2 is workpiece error compensation in x/y/z (no rotation comp). This seems to be for when you're fixture is off a bit to where it was programmed to so you can compensate for the error with the numbers in G54.2. So the x/y/z would be numbers the machine would take into account (along with the rotation?) when reading the standard G54, and it would offset in whatever direction it needs.

2. G54.4 is G54.2 but with rotation comp. This is what I think we would want to use.

3. G68.2 is tilted work planes. Define a point to rotate around and some angels (euler angles or yaw/pitch/roll) and the machine can do the math to get the new plane you want to machine in. You'd use this instead of programming from COR. I don't think we need this.

Here's my questions:

4. Is it reasonable to use G54.4 on a 4-axis machine? or will this just overcomplicate things?

5. Do I have to use G68.2 with G54.4? Or can I use one without the other?

6. Does anyone have a better resource to learn about G54.4? I read thru the manual and watched a couple videos but I don't have a good understanding of it yet. It still feels like I'd be punching in some numbers and the machine would automagically make adjustments. This video was super helpful explaining G68.2, but I don't think I need G68.2: G68.2 YT Vid

I apologize for the lengthy post. Any information is appreciated.

• Like 2

We use these functions extensively on 4x and 5x fanuc controlled machines. If you would like, PM me and we can set up a call and I can communicate some learnings. May be hard and time consuming for me (barely literate) to spell them out here.

Mike  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
4 minutes ago, GoetzInd said:

We use these functions extensively on 4x and 5x fanuc controlled machines. If you would like, PM me and we can set up a call and I can communicate some learnings. May be hard and time consuming for me (barely literate) to spell them out here.

Mike  

Take him up on it Jake...a good with a lot of knowledge he's willing to share...

I had a good conversation with him prior to us purchasing Vericut :thumbup:

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, GoetzInd said:

See, I'm not just a creepy stranger from the internet....🤪

PM sent.

Even if you were a creepy internet stranger, I'd still want to have a conversation. I enjoy learning, best way to do that is talk to guys with experience.

• Like 1
On 1/17/2024 at 3:57 PM, Jake L said:

Here's my questions:

4. Is it reasonable to use G54.4 on a 4-axis machine? or will this just overcomplicate things?

5. Do I have to use G68.2 with G54.4? Or can I use one without the other?

6. Does anyone have a better resource to learn about G54.4? I read thru the manual and watched a couple videos but I don't have a good understanding of it yet. It still feels like I'd be punching in some numbers and the machine would automagically make adjustments. This video was super helpful explaining G68.2, but I don't think I need G68.2: G68.2 YT Vid

Figured I should answer my own questions after a conversation with @GoetzInd

4. G54.4 is useful on a 4-axis machine because it eliminates the need to position your fixture perfectly to where it was programmed in the CAM software.

5. G68.2 and G54.4 are completely separate functions. 54.4 is work error comp. G68.2 is tilted workplane, used for setting the zero point of your program to something other than COR. This makes the numbers in the program "make sense" so it's much easier for the machinist to make adjustments at the machine. Both functions can be used independently, or in conjunction.

One other major thing I learned is Tool Center Point (TCP) which is G43.4. This causes the x/y/z numbers in the program to be at the tip of the tool. This is used when rotating one or more axis while in the cut. It's another function that makes the code easier to read for the machinist.

Thanks again for reaching out and sharing so much information Mike!

• Like 3