Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Silhouette Boundary vs. Curve Edges

Bill H

If I use the Silhouette Boundary command to create wireframe geometry of a part's perimeter, curved edges are either a series of small arcs or (worse) a group of lines and arcs.  As examples, the edge of a hole will be created as four (or more) arcs of unequal length.  A simple 90-degree curve will be two lines plus an arc.  The Curve Edges command, on the other hand, creates arcs that accurately reflect the part's geometry.  A continuous arc on the solid model will be a single wireframe arc.  Why do the two methods produce different results?  Is this controlled by a setting?

The biggest difference between silhoutte boundary and create curve on edge, or create curve slice is that sihouette is a projection type creation...it will pick up on VERY slight variances in geometry. You see that reflected in how it sometimes catches corners and even straight geometry if it shares a common edge but at several Z depths...you can try tightening up the tolerance and using Arc fit....even with those however, you might find slightly "less" than perfect geometry.

I typically will not use silhouette boundary for anything beyond a roughing path.....if I need good clean geometry to cut, I'll use Create Curve edge or Create Curve slice..

• Like 2