Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Okuma VTL 200YB

So.... the company bout a 2013 Okuma... and i'm ashamed to say this is our first time seeing it and its a monster of a machine.

So after installing and many issues, the company is pushing hard for it to make chips, but the problem is... none of us are familiar with it and I'm told it is in a whole other world for programming and machining and code wise.

I got so frustrated with trying to get this right and just couldn't deal with anything more for a sample program to try and see what the machine does.

The first thing postability informed me was I was setting up the part model wrong.  They shared me this link:  Videos: Lathe WCS — Postability | Mastercam Post Processors  and I'm not used to doing it that way then I questioned them if thats the ONLY way to go about it cause it feels like it'll take much longer to program parts for it...

Then the machine didn't like the "%" at the start and end of program in addition to the "L" on radius when turning.

I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with this machine / programming mastercam for it... and any advise too...

-JD

1 hour ago, JeremyV said:

So.... the company bout a 2013 Okuma... and i'm ashamed to say this is our first time seeing it and its a monster of a machine.

So after installing and many issues, the company is pushing hard for it to make chips, but the problem is... none of us are familiar with it and I'm told it is in a whole other world for programming and machining and code wise.

I got so frustrated with trying to get this right and just couldn't deal with anything more for a sample program to try and see what the machine does.

The first thing postability informed me was I was setting up the part model wrong.  They shared me this link:  Videos: Lathe WCS — Postability | Mastercam Post Processors  and I'm not used to doing it that way then I questioned them if thats the ONLY way to go about it cause it feels like it'll take much longer to program parts for it...

Then the machine didn't like the "%" at the start and end of program in addition to the "L" on radius when turning.

I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with this machine / programming mastercam for it... and any advise too...

-JD

We have a VTM 1200 YB with an OSP 300 control

Check with Postability, they have a dialed in post for this machine, the product of about three years work.

Do not even try to program this with an off the shelf post. You will fail.

If you have models of the machine they can build you Machine Sim as well.

These are amazing machines, but they are not easy to program.

For any given milling feature there are multiple ways the machine can do it

and the post must output the the correct M and G codes in the correct order or you will spend days

chance down alarms.

Once you get the post figured out AND if they put the right work on it, it will be the most productive machine in your shop

17 hours ago, JeremyV said:

-JD

The only way no and now they provide them with the planes working as they should. I like to start with my Machine definition first then I like to move my model to what it needs to be for the machine I am programming it for. We just solve a Right Turret Issue, but on your machine since the tool will be coming from what we would think is back programming like a traditional horizontal would also work. Completely different machine than you are use to, but once you can wrap your brain around the process you should be up and running in no time. Anyone expecting you to run with this machine and by a master on it in a short time is ignorant of Manufacturing and needs to be educated on what it takes. Gcode is extremely experienced and smart and it took his company years to get their machine dialed in. I think he also use Vericut or at least Machinesim to check his programs he doesn't get program post and go run it. He verifiers everything is correct. No Vericut or CAV process like the Machinesim then expect 10X longer to go prove it out on the machine.

• Like 1

This is probably where my company failed to invest the time researching into the machine.  I wish I knew ahead of time to ask more about it, but really wasn't expecting anything different.

We do have a machinesim that was provided (also bought) with the post we bought from postability thru cimquest.

I feel that we would benefit better if someone can come to the company and train us or go somewhere for training on how to properly program for this machine.

I'll keep updating this as time goes on.  Still waiting to hear back from the developers via cimquest.

6 hours ago, JeremyV said:

This is probably where my company failed to invest the time researching into the machine.  I wish I knew ahead of time to ask more about it, but really wasn't expecting anything different.

We do have a machinesim that was provided (also bought) with the post we bought from postability thru cimquest.

I feel that we would benefit better if someone can come to the company and train us or go somewhere for training on how to properly program for this machine.

I'll keep updating this as time goes on.  Still waiting to hear back from the developers via cimquest.

Shoot me an email and I will be glad to quote that for you so you can present it to management for consideration.

On 5/2/2022 at 9:11 PM, crazy^millman said:

Shoot me an email and I will be glad to quote that for you so you can present it to management for consideration.

I would like to, but everything was already paid for.... im not sure if post file software is returnable lol

1 hour ago, Werktuigbouwer said:

I guess the quote will be for training, not the post.

Correct sorry I was not clear when I posted back up. You have a great post you just need some training onsite with someone who has programmed these types of machines and can help you wrap your brain around them. If you go to my website you will see my line card to give you an idea what 5th Axis CG inc. can do to help.

• Like 1

Ah okay, thanks.

The company has someone coming in tomorrow to show us around the machine, but I'll bring this up to our Supervisor.

Also, I'm guessing this requires the use of planes in order to get holes drilled correctly?  Like c-axis face drill option or something else?

Also, drilling seems a lil weird using G181 or something with an L code for peck control... or am i using the wrong one?

17 hours ago, JeremyV said:

Ah okay, thanks.

The company has someone coming in tomorrow to show us around the machine, but I'll bring this up to our Supervisor.

Also, I'm guessing this requires the use of planes in order to get holes drilled correctly?  Like c-axis face drill option or something else?

Also, drilling seems a lil weird using G181 or something with an L code for peck control... or am i using the wrong one?

Yes Planes are very important. Welcome to a different machine with different functions. They all have their quirks.

• Like 1

With the post we developed for our VTM-1200 there are several ways to drill holes

The c axis lathe toolpaths work and creating planes and using traditional drill toolpaths work too

Every method has it's uses and produces different results in the NC file.

Getting the post to output all the correct M and G codes for each style of drilling was a lot of work.

• Like 1
On 5/5/2022 at 7:56 AM, crazy^millman said:

Yes Planes are very important. Welcome to a different machine with different functions. They all have their quirks.

I've tried using the planes, even C-axis, and the machine actually rotated the part 90deg to machine along the OD instead of face... so something wasn't right there.

Okay so, finally got something going but... the guy that came in to show us the machine didn't stay long and also didn't explain much... so I gotta ask this:

What is "NT41A"?

N210(ROUGH LEFT - 80 DEG.)
NT2 (RESTART POSITION)
N220 (ROUGH A LITTLE BIT OF 44.00 OD)
N230 (OPERATION NO - 2)
N240 G20 HP=4

N260 MT=4101
     M321
NT41A
N280 G20 HP=4
N290 G50 S190

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to edit coolant for every tool one time or I have to go through the hours long process of changing them for everything? 

All our tools are currently set for the 3 coolant option and the Okuma has a lot of coolant codes. I want to make it easier, but I'm afraid it most likely won't be easier to edit.

I have no idea what X-style coolant is in mastercam but I do know the "advanced coolant" with 10 options would be handy for this... but requires me to change everything.

13 minutes ago, JeremyV said:

Is there a way to edit coolant for every tool one time or I have to go through the hours long process of changing them for everything? 

All our tools are currently set for the 3 coolant option and the Okuma has a lot of coolant codes. I want to make it easier, but I'm afraid it most likely won't be easier to edit.

I have no idea what X-style coolant is in mastercam but I do know the "advanced coolant" with 10 options would be handy for this... but requires me to change everything.

Edit Common Parameters not do what you need? I use it all the time to change coolant on 10 to 100 operations in seconds.

On 5/20/2022 at 2:51 PM, crazy^millman said:

Edit Common Parameters not do what you need? I use it all the time to change coolant on 10 to 100 operations in seconds.

I hadn't thought of that one, probably slipped thru the cracks in my brain.  Thanks!

We were trying to figure out the planes issue I was having and realized that we were sorta going about this wrong.  What was happening was I thought I had to follow the turning WCS plane for milling, but nope.  Since the part is set in top view, milling needs to be Top-Top-Top and don't check any rotation if all holes are equal spaced, I can use transform by plane and all the rotations are set instead of creating a plane for every hole... unless they are in odd spots.

The issue I was having was when i was using the Y-axis selection button, things got wonky, same with C-axis.  I would only use c-axis for drilling since using c-axis selection in mill drilling doesn't quite work the same way.

-JD

@JeremyV,

Where are you located? If you are having a hard time getting training from your local Okuma distributor I would highly consider Ron (@crazy^millman) for training. He could help with the machine and MasterCam side of things. He is a great resource as well as a great guy all around.

Brad Lisle

• Like 1
On 5/28/2022 at 4:18 PM, Brad Lisle said:

@JeremyV,

Where are you located? If you are having a hard time getting training from your local Okuma distributor I would highly consider Ron (@crazy^millman) for training. He could help with the machine and MasterCam side of things. He is a great resource as well as a great guy all around.

Brad Lisle

HI Brad, We are located in Clairton, Pa, which is like 15 miles or so south of Pittsburgh, Pa.  Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

UPDATE: we are slowly moving along with testing on this.  We've had some success, and some not so success.  I've also figured out how postabilities post file should work, at least I believe so.  We got the turning stuff down, which is good, but the issue is, when we do the ID, the ID comes out .375 bigger for no reason, same with the OD.

The only other issue is wondering why the head changes back to vertical position from horizontal after telling the machine to be at 90deg (horizontal position).  Boss is suggesting the offset needs to be described as 90deg?  I cannot see anything in the program that suggests returning back to vertical.  No alarms or anything and the machine actually wanted to drill a horizontal hole while the spindle was vertical... odd, but dangerous.

• 3 weeks later...

Heres an update:

We are getting closer to getting our code format correct - just a few minor changes.  We are programming this correctly now - which is interesting compared to programming for the doosan puma.

Learned quite a bit of new codes that machine requires LOL... and yea you are right about chasing alarms.... we recently ran into a road block where on the milling portion, the machine was alarming out about a c-axis clamp... found out the next day we need a M146 and M109 after the G136 in order to "disconnect" the clamp before starting a new interpolation cycle that needs it...  OY.... stubborn machine lol

Postability recently updated their post files - which kinda made things worse lol.

What happened before the update was this: C-axis output on the regular drilling cycles was starting at 90deg instead of 0 where it should be - even when our first milling interpolation hole is zero, machine wants to start at 90.

So Postability recently updated and made it 180 instead >.<   kinda makes me want to pull my hair out lol