Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

C-Axis Thread Milling

CNCZACK

Im not sure whats missing here but I do know something is missing. When I go to do an offset when thread milling and I have my G12.1 active (misc value). I output the code, go back to the machine and attempt to run it. I get an error code "IMPROPER G CODE 146". I have hand written some code and got it down enough to run a simple arc that would allow me to use wear comp. This was a few weeks back and im just now circling back to the issue and I have lost my notes on what works lol. 

So in my Mcam program you can see in the thread mill toolpath group ive got a drilled and thread milled hole. I output that and see at C45 i drill one hole. Then once my thread mill is called up C0 is the location it goes to before calling up G12.1. im not familiar with using g12.1 but the location seems off if i just drilled a hole at C45. I make it to g12.1 then i get my alarm. When testing this previously i know i had to have a G17 OR G18 in there as well as a G94 not sure the sequence here. Any ideas on how to get this going my way again? I would love to be able to use G12.1 effectively and use wear comp for threadmilling, pocketing ect... 

Also i do know for a fact that G12.1 does work and the correct parameters are active. 

machine : YOUJI 1200 ATC+C 

Control:  Fanuc 18i-TB 

TEST PART.mcam THREAD test.NC

It is my experience that C axis VTL don't do a very good job of thread milling.

The machine motion is really the C axis and the X axis moving back and forth very tiny amounts 

I have found that most VTL's are not capable of accurately making this back and forth motion 

16 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

I don't see a D call on the G41 line. Does the machine need it to use G41?

I thought this was strange as well, in the offsets there is no D just R so im not sure if a D would work but im willing to try it and see what happens 

5 minutes ago, gcode said:

It is my experience that C axis VTL don't do a very good job of thread milling.

The machine motion is really the C axis and the X axis moving back and forth very tiny amounts 

I have found that most VTL's are not capable of accurately making this back and forth motion 

we have thread milled with it, with out G12.1 being active. surprisingly it looked better than our mill. you could see faint lines in the thread but for the most part the threads being done dont have to be anything to write home about. The only thing was without G12.1 we cant make a wear offset 

32 minutes ago, gcode said:

This is the results I get posting OP14 using a Postability VTL post

I believe this code would run properly , but as I stated in my previous post, 

in my experience, big VTLs are not capable of accurately running these toolpaths

THREAD.NC 4.32 kB · 4 downloads

Thanks for posting this. i tried it in the machine and it worked out pretty well (had to change some minor things for machine to understand)

i did have a 021 "illegal plane axis commanded" once it hit a line without a C address in it. Im assuming with respected C addresses called for each move it may work.

edit: that did not help it with the C moves in it. i got the same error when adding in c locations. 

I reviewed a couple of proven files in our libraries

They use G18 for C axis drilling and tapping (G81 G84 etc)

The G12 face interpolation toolpaths have no  plane callouts at all

I assume the G18 callout is still active when G12 tool paths are run????

23 hours ago, gcode said:

I reviewed a couple of proven files in our libraries

They use G18 for C axis drilling and tapping (G81 G84 etc)

The G12 face interpolation toolpaths have no  plane callouts at all

I assume the G18 callout is still active when G12 tool paths are run????

In my experience, plane commands are cancelled/invalid with G112 because it's a canned-cycle that only functions for the specific plane. G112 is for radial and G107 is axial. 

• Thanks 1