Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Help with 3D spiral flow line

ThickChips

Hi,

I recently became aware i've using surfacing/flow-lines to create crude 3D-countour toolpaths.

My surface modeling experience is limited. I was curious if there is a way to create a flow-line in a 3D spiral on a surface? My attached example shows the application. Rather than having "rings", It would be cool to have a spiral on the surface. 

Thanks for your help.

Capture.PNG

I know this is different than the type of toolpath your asking about but if you have a 3d license there is the spiral option in the cut parameters for the blend toolpath. This will do just what your looking for very nicely.

Just be sure to use your "Curves" to drive the direction of your tool and give it the pattern you'd like to see.

scrn-1.png

scrn-2.png

Edited by Brad St.
Update screen shots
  • Like 3

If there were multiple complex surfaces I often project a 2 d path or use the blend toolpaths as suggested above but in the example shown it looks like a straight forward loft between 2 curves? In which case the flowline spiral should do the job?

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...

@ danatoem

I ended up using the Spiral flowline which worked great, but it also doesn't allow any control for a lead-in.

For example, in my case, i am spiraling from inside a bore, out and upward. There is really no control over where the toolpath starts, so when it plunges down to its start position in the spiral, it will cut stock. 

It worked fine. Thanks

35 minutes ago, ThickChips said:

@ danatoem

I ended up using the Spiral flowline which worked great, but it also doesn't allow any control for a lead-in.

For example, in my case, i am spiraling from inside a bore, out and upward. There is really no control over where the toolpath starts, so when it plunges down to its start position in the spiral, it will cut stock. 

It worked fine. Thanks

In the "Surface Parameters" page of the Flowline operation you can click on and then use the "Direction" menu to control lead-in and lead-out so you aren't starting on top of the stock.

• Like 1
On 5/3/2022 at 6:39 AM, danatoem said:

Not sure what i'm missing in this thread but why could you not just use surface finish flowline and set the cut method to spiral? The step over distance would control the spiral. 

I don't usually use spiral because the 1st pass and the last pass are not complete leaving scallops there.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, cncappsjames said:

I don't usually use spiral because the 1st pass and the last pass are not complete leaving scallops there.

I hate that.  :D

I'll use it for odd ball chamfers at times when we have one offs that the boss brought in on short notice.  I'll usually just extend the surfaces. 

Not very elegant, but it works in a pinch.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, cncappsjames said:

When I used to teach this path as part of the 3D milling class, I would go over the setting and how to set it up and to many a class I said, "that's how to use it, if you ever find a use for it, please, shoot me an email and sheo me where."

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, cncappsjames said:

Moduleworks added the full cut at the start and end of the spiral. I would always draw my spiral and then use project to not have this happen.

• 3 weeks later...

I do use the flowline spiral toolpath a lot. If I need that 1st/last pass to be more accurate I just extend the surfaces and control depths with depth limits. It almost always makes a more accurate toolpath for my needs.

• Like 2