Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Changing RPM mid-toolpath

JB7280

I seem to remember a toolpath, where you could change the RPM at certain points.  I thought it was the Point toolpath, but I looked again and that doesn't seem to be it.  Maybe I'm thinking of advanced drill?  

I know I can do it with Manual Entry, I just thought I remembered something different.   

28 minutes ago, cncappsjames said:

In the Advanced Drilling you can do that, or you can use the toolpath editor and change at point. That what you're looking for?

I thought it might have been toolpath editor, but I didn't see anywhere to change spindle speed in there.  In this instance, I'm using a chip clearing fan, and they recommend starting it at 1500rpms, then moving up to full speed to lessen wear on the blades.

15 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

I thought it might have been toolpath editor, but I didn't see anywhere to change spindle speed in there.  In this instance, I'm using a chip clearing fan, and they recommend starting it at 1500rpms, then moving up to full speed to lessen wear on the blades.

You cannot you must use Cantext to make that happen. I have requested this several times over the years and still not part of the tool path editor. To accomplish this task you need to create the different RPMS in the CANTEXT you want and then add all the logic to the post to support it. Out of the box it will not output correctly and will get merged on the line of the place you make the edit verses on a line by itself. To make that happen you need to change the post to support it. Need to add what you need through the Control Definition First. Then need to add that number to the post to get output on a single line like I did here if that is what you want.

if cantext$ = 29, #Added REMOVE_HEAD for Vericut RDB 11-7-2020
           [
           pbld, pn, ";REMOVE_HEAD", pe
           pbld, pn, ";REMOVE BACK SPOT FACE TOOL", pe
           ]
        if cantext$ = 30, #Added ATTACH_HEAD for Vericut RDB 11-7-2020
           [
           pbld, pn, ";ATTACH_HEAD", pe
           pbld, pn, ";PUT ON BACK SPOT FACE TOOL", pe
           ]
        if cantext$ = 31, #Added RPM for Bakcspot face tool process using Contour RBD 11-7-2020
          [
          pbld, pn, "S100 M3", pe
          ]
        if cantext$ = 32, #Added RPM for Bakcspot face tool process using Contour RBD 11-7-2020
          [
          pbld, pn, "S100 M4", pe
          ]
        if cantext$ = 33, #Added RPM for Bakcspot face tool process using Contour RBD 11-7-2020
          [
          pbld, pn, "S400 M3", pe
          ]
        if cantext$ = 34, #Added RPM for Bakcspot face tool process using Contour RBD 11-7-2020
          [
          pbld, pn, "S400 M4", pe
          ]
        if cantext$ = 35, #Added RPM for Bakcspot face tool process using Contour RBD 11-7-2020
          [
          pbld, pn, "S500 M3", pe
          ]
        if cantext$ = 36, #Added RPM for Bakcspot face tool process using Contour RBD 11-7-2020
          [
          pbld, pn, "S500 M4", pe
          ]
        if cantext$ = 37, #Added RPM for Bakcspot face tool process using Contour RBD 11-7-2020
          [
          pbld, pn, "S600 M3", pe
          ]
        if cantext$ = 38, #Added RPM for Bakcspot face tool process using Contour RBD 11-7-2020
          [
          pbld, pn, "S600 M4", pe
          ]
        if cantext$ = 39, #Added RPM for Bakcspot face tool process using Contour RBD 11-7-2020
          [
          pbld, pn, "S700 M3", pe
          ]
        if cantext$ = 40, #Added RPM for Bakcspot face tool process using Contour RBD 11-7-2020
          [
          pbld, pn, "700 M4", pe
          ]
        if cantext$ = 41, #Added RPM for Bakcspot face tool process using Contour RBD 11-7-2020
          [
          pbld, pn, "S800 M3", pe
          ]
        if cantext$ = 42, #Added RPM for Bakcspot face tool process using Contour RBD 11-7-2020
          [
          pbld, pn, "S800 M4", pe
          ]
        if cantext$ = 43, #Added RPM for Bakcspot face tool process using Contour RBD 11-7-2020
          [
          pbld, pn, "S900 M3", pe
          ]
        if cantext$ = 44, #Added RPM for Bakcspot face tool process using Contour RBD 11-7-2020
          [
          pbld, pn, "S900 M4", pe
          ]
        if cantext$ = 45, #Added RPM for Bakcspot face tool process using Contour RBD 11-7-2020
          [
          pbld, pn, "S1000 M3", pe
          ]
        if cantext$ = 46, #Added RPM for Bakcspot face tool process using Contour RBD 11-7-2020
          [
          pbld, pn, "S1000 M4", pe
          ]
        if cantext$ = 47, #Added External Coolant On for Backspot face tool process using Contour RBD 11-7-2020
          [
          pbld, pn, "M73 M08", pe
          ]
        if cantext$ = 48, #Added External Coolant Off for Bakcspot face tool process using Contour RBD 11-7-2020
          [
          pbld, pn, "M09", pe
          ]

On 5/4/2022 at 6:40 AM, GoetzInd said:

Think about writing a "Chip Fan On" macro for this. Step it up nice and slow. One M code to turn on would be nice and clean and easy for others to use.

Mike 

Thats a good idea.  So one M code that references a macro with ramp-up S commands and dwells?   Could you then just build it into the machine def as a coolant command?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JB7280 said:

Thats a good idea.  So one M code that references a macro with ramp-up S commands and dwells?   Could you then just build it into the machine def as a coolant command?

But how would that help you like you asked here with mid toolpath rpm changes?

14 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Well, in this particular case, I suppose I worded poorly.  It really just needs to move away from the tool change door, then ramp the spindle up in a few steps.   It wouldn't work for an actual mid toolpath cutting tool rpm change, but for this instance it should work, unless I'm missing something.  

I agree with the Crazy Millman.  Using canned text you can use as many blocks as you need to get the job done and with variables if needed.

if cantext$ = 51,
          [
          temp4_1 = (sav_mr4 * 2)
          "#540=#539", e$
          "#539=#539+", no_spc$, *temp4_1, e$
          temp4_1 = 0
          ]

You can also use that canned text on any or every operation.

On 5/6/2022 at 5:33 PM, crazy^millman said:

On 5/7/2022 at 8:21 AM, Tim Johnson said:

I agree with the Crazy Millman.  Using canned text you can use as many blocks as you need to get the job done and with variables if needed.

if cantext$ = 51,
          [
          temp4_1 = (sav_mr4 * 2)
          "#540=#539", e$
          "#539=#539+", no_spc$, *temp4_1, e$
          temp4_1 = 0
          ]

You can also use that canned text on any or every operation.

Well, problem with this method, is I don't understand any of how to execute it, unfortunately.   Where can I learn more about how to execute this method?  Would that be in the MPMaster manual?  I think sometimes you guys are so smart that you take us dumb folks for granted, lol.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tim Johnson said:

This is what I would do..

if cantext$ = 11,

# rpm change for fan

[

"S5000 M03", e$

]

I would then add this to the appropriate location of my post

So then that would add an rpm change (S5000 in this case) any time I chose to use that canned text, and operate as normal when I don't use it?  Sorry for the ignorance, I've never messed with canned text even a little bit.  

My ghetto way of doing this (using a chip fan) is to use a point toolpath somewhere safe above your clearance plane at 1500 RPM. Then a manual entry stepping up the RPM, then a face toolpath to clear coolant/chips. I like the idea of a custom macro to do this.....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JB7280 said:

So then that would add an rpm change (S5000 in this case) any time I chose to use that canned text, and operate as normal when I don't use it?  Sorry for the ignorance, I've never messed with canned text even a little bit.  

That is correct. The cantext$ number can be any unused number on the list. If you look at the Crazy^millman's posting you will see his list is grouped together. You don't have to do the same as his but it makes it easier to find if you need to make additional edits or additions.

• Thanks 1