Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machine Simulator and tool changes

DC Gorn

I have been watching machine sim building tutorial and I am getting pretty close with my simulator. This issue I have is how the machine handles rotary changes between operations.  If I am at C0 Z -1.125 the next move is C180 Z-1.125 which is all the way through the parts. All simulator tutorials Just seem to show how to make the STLs and how build the machine. I get that but know if the tool is backing up enough to clear a crash is my primary goal of a simulator. Now I crash between every operation unless there is a tool change.    

Yes because it is not tied to a Post. Part of the you only get so much functionality for free. Get one tied to a post and these problems go away. The other option is to add crazy ref points to toolpaths to get the movement away from the part in a shift. Then remove them before you post code.

Best solution is purchase a post with it tied to it or purchase a CAV Software.

• Like 3

I have the Sim for my new UMC750 and I have purchased posts for the machines I have. I just don't have simulators for the older machines.   I wanted to lean how to make the machine itself, There are so many tutorials out there for 5 axis machine building I assumed it was possible and my issues where just a matter of me not knowing how to do it. 

Company I work for is not cheap but I am just trying to get through till next year, then I should have Vericut, That is the main reason I did not just go out and buy Simulators for my machines. You know what Vericut costs and to ask for an additional $1100 per machine is tuff for 7 month of use.   

At least now I can stop chasing my tail. 

Thanks Millman

2 minutes ago, DC Gorn said:

I have the Sim for my new UMC750 and I have purchased posts for the machines I have. I just don't have simulators for the older machines.   I wanted to lean how to make the machine itself, There are so many tutorials out there for 5 axis machine building I assumed it was possible and my issues where just a matter of me not knowing how to do it. 

Company I work for is not cheap but I am just trying to get through till next year, then I should have Vericut, That is the main reason I did not just go out and buy Simulators for my machines. You know what Vericut costs and to ask for an additional $1100 per machine is tuff for 7 month of use.   

Thanks Millman

If you're just looking to build one to see how it's done, I do it this way...

Find a machine in the default ones that's "close"......

I'll copy that, set it in a new folder with the machine name that I'm building....then load the machine, you'll see all of the components.....make sure your machine is also in this folder, you can begin laying your components into the XML file while removing the existing ones...in this way, you can follow the axis mappings that are already set.....then save your XML and the machine your creating... 

It's the easist ways I have found...I'll built 3, 4 and 5 axis machines in this way. None of them are tied to a post but they give me what I need as a bare minimum....

Except in situations like I'm in currently, programming for an Integrex i150W and I have NO simulation for it at all, the MT software can't handle it becuase it doesn't understand stock that's not in a spinning spindle....I keep warning them, they keep saying just don't crash the machine.....I'm left, like duh!

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, DC Gorn said:

Thanks Millman

You are on the Right Track Yes I know how much Vericut cost I have my own seat of it along with Mastercam.

I get what your trying to accomplish and as long as you know what to look for Machinesim should help you get enough assurance to get work done.

36 minutes ago, JParis said:
Except in situations like I'm in currently, programming for an Integrex i150W and I have NO simulation for it at all, the MT software can't handle it becuase it doesn't understand stock that's not in a spinning spindle....I keep warning them, they keep saying just don't crash the machine.....I'm left, like duh!

You can fake it in. I have a trunnion for an Indy Block running in a I-200 right now and MT can simulate it. I made the Trunnion part of the chuck by boolean adding them together on a separate level. I then use very long thin jaws to connect the block to the main and sub spindles the distance I needed from them to the part. Not perfect, but enough to make it work. Need to remember when defining the solids in the JOB setup it doesn't respect where they were or how you had it laid out so I like to have dummy copies that can be trashed for job setup purposes.

• Like 2

Funny how I never needed Vericut or a machine simulator until I used one for ten years. I  had to submit clean Vericut reports before running 5 axis code. I Think I just got used to running sims and reading reports and not hand checking the code. You do that for 10 years and then take  away the simulator it leaves you in a bad position. Especially someone that does not do Mastercam all the time and is starting to show his age.   

25 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

I made the Trunnion part of the chuck by boolean adding them together on a separate level

I have had to do something similar with a turning part in MT.  Boolean added the fixture to the stock.  (there may be another way, but I haven't found it) 

I also learned to make extra copies of the solids and put them on different levels as backups.  

One of the other gripes that I have about MT is: no tool inspection. 

10 minutes ago, Bill Craven said:

I have had to do something similar with a turning part in MT.  Boolean added the fixture to the stock.  (there may be another way, but I haven't found it) 

I also learned to make extra copies of the solids and put them on different levels as backups.  

One of the other gripes that I have about MT is: no tool inspection. 

No 5 Axis linking either.

No Flowline.

No Surface Finish Contour.

No Wireframe Toolpath.

Separate Operations manager for posting and syncing code.

Code Meter is not linked to close when the Mastercam file closes.

18 minutes ago, DC Gorn said:

Funny how I never needed Vericut or a machine simulator until I used one for ten years. I  had to submit clean Vericut reports before running 5 axis code. I Think I just got used to running sims and reading reports and not hand checking the code. You do that for 10 years and then take  away the simulator it leaves you in a bad position. Especially someone that does not do Mastercam all the time and is starting to show his age.   

I have used simulation for many years and still read the code. Still don't trust the simulation 100%, but I have not worked for only one company with no changing machines either so I get where you coming from. We are all showing our age and hopefully we get enough younger people interested in this trade to allow it survive in the USA.

Some information here on the steps required to build your own MACHSIM. Doing like JP said starting with an existing machine is the easiest route. I can try to help you if you need help.

https://youtu.be/iDcaZ-6ZGco

https://youtu.be/V-MlskbrH5I

• Like 1