Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Another SolidWorks Assembly issue...

TOM S

Looking for some help or insight into a new problem.  Our Design team creates assemblies (.sldasm) in SolidWorks 2022.  When I try to open these assemblies in Mastercam 2022 only one of the parts shows up.  The other parts seem to be completely ignored by Mastercam.  I am not sure which end the problem is on.  Assemblies that were created by the older SolidWorks (2013) program open all parts.  I have a feeling it is an issue on the solidworks end as nothing has on my Mastercam.  Does anybody have some insight?

32 minutes ago, nickbe10 said:

Get your design team to send you a parasolid (.x_t or .x_b).

This is the most reliable transfer protocol between systems. SW assemblies are often difficult, this should solve the problem.

Just not true...

You at least need the pertinent  files inclused with the sldasm....and assembly file is really just a file with a bunch of external links and the mating inforamtion,  to the individual part files....

It's just a metter of understanding what you need to receive.  Solidworks Assemblies come in perfectly fine no need for a translation to a different format.

Native works best

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
20 hours ago, Brad St. said:

if you are able to can you open the solidworks assembly in SW and save a copy as a part file? Careful you don't mess up the assembly but you should be able to do this and then open the part file in MC.

But will this approach not make the entire assembly a single part?  I need all the parts separate (or occasionally a collection of the parts).  When doing this in the past the design team was using SolidWorks 2013, and I could open their assemblies and erase the parts I did not need.  They recently upgraded to SolidWorks 2022 service pack 2 or 3 and now it seems Mastercam 2022 is behind.

23 hours ago, nickbe10 said:

Get your design team to send you a parasolid (.x_t or .x_b).

This is the most reliable transfer protocol between systems. SW assemblies are often difficult, this should solve the problem.

Thanks for this.  This is what we are doing for now.  I assume this issue may disappear when Mastercam 2023 comes out.  But if not this is a handy work around.

On 5/20/2022 at 10:02 AM, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

When you are opening the assemblies in Mastercam, are all the related component SW parts and assemblies in the same folder as the Assembly you're opening?

If only the assembly file is given to the Mastercam user, he/she will be unsuccessful in importing it since it depends on the other files.

The SW parts and assemblies are all in the same folder.  The design team was using SolidWorks 2013 and this process worked, recently they upgraded to 2022 service pack 2 or 3.  Now it seems it's not as simple.

27 minutes ago, TOM S said:

The SW parts and assemblies are all in the same folder.  The design team was using SolidWorks 2013 and this process worked, recently they upgraded to 2022 service pack 2 or 3.  Now it seems it's not as simple.

2022 can only open SW2022 SP 0. files....it would seem that opening the files is as it always goes but when they moved up, they moved past your ability to open the file it seems...so until MCAM catches up...you'll need another format...

8nBzCAf.png

Only MC2022 Update 3 supports import of SW2022 files. We release "202x" in May, they release "202x" in November so, for instance, our 2022 can't read their 2022 files yet because it doesn't exist at the time we release.

And ... despite the chart JP showed, MC2022 Update 3 will support all of the SW 2022 service packs. I'll see about correcting that.

• Like 2