Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4th axis programing.

AMCNitro

I have a part that has 2 ends.  Think of a go/no go gage.  First side, I created one plane on the end of the part with the center sitting on the X axis, and from that plane I created all the other planes for each rotation(I don't have Multi Axis, so its just positioning).  Second side, I created a plane on the other end of the part, and from that I created all the the other planes for each rotation(same as the first side).  When I try to post from the second side it gives a me a posting error, when I look at the error report , one of the lines says, RUN TIME -OPID(36)- Only single-axis rotation is allowed!  Angles may be incorrect.

Did I do something that I shouldn't be able to?  Do I have to copy to a different level and "physically" rotate the part so that the second end sits on the stock TOP PLANE?

Thats what Im thinking, Technically I rotated twice, even though the part is sitting on the X axis.  The other thing is that it doesnt post rotation angles, its always posts A0.  Im reprograming it, it just sucks that it doesnt work this way

I agree with Leon, Sounds like it's trying to do a compound angle move. Can you share a file or something similar? When I do my 4 axis I keep my WCS as top and my c and t planes change to get the post to spit the proper angle out. 

Since you don't have multi axis and it's 3+1 you could program both sides top/top/top and just do a manual entry in Mastercam to force A axis angle out, or just hand edit the code to the proper angles if you know what they are. Just a few thoughts.

4 hours ago, Jespertech said:

Would it be possible to use transform rotate instead of creating multiple planes? 

Thats what I ended up doing, but Id like to know what I did wrong.  Doing it this way defeats the purpose of WCS.

1 hour ago, crazy^millman said:

Are you are using one base WCS and then different T and C planes for this process?

I am, the first side posted correctly

Email was sent with the answer.

For those following along yes he was using the wrong WCS for this operation in the process. They added checks that were not present in previous versions that wouldn't give you this error. The code will still post, but the error is now showing the Only Single Axis Rotation. He needs to use the same WCS that is facing the correct way for all the Planes in the operations and life is good.

There was no need to create a copy of the part and we can still use one model for programming like he was trying to accomplish. A copy of the original WCS just rotated around Z 180 degrees and then used for the other side would do what you need. Since this is a 4 Axis the new logic is determining the correct X axis direction of the WCS not just the Tool and Construction planes. All 3 have to match or we are really trying to accomplish 5 Axis machining not 4 axis machining if we break down the Matrix math in the background. 0,0,1 dz is a Top Vector thinking 1D and the problem is we need to look at it in 3D.

1,0,0 dx

0,1,0 dy

0,0,1 dz

Matrix layout. With TOP/TOP/TOP the above is correct. Problem is with spinning the planes in relation to that we really get this Matrix.

-1,0,0 dx

0,1,0 dy

0,0,1 dz

The Axis is rotated 180 from TOP/TOP/TOP thus we get the negative X start for the Matrix.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Took a moment of lucidity and tranquility on a Saturday morning to see the problem, even after Ron and others helped me, I didn't see it.  The problem was that I was still trying to use the systems Top WCS on the second face, which makes complete sense that it wants a 5 axis move.  That was the problem.  I had to create a "New Top" and use that as my WCS.  A lifetime of having "on 4th axis opps TOP is always your WCS", goes to show that we have to have an open mind to program.  Learned something new today. 

Thanks to Ron and all those that helped.

• Like 2