Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dust hood (M93) doesn't listen to me

I have not been formally trained in the CNC arts, learning as I go.

Our CNC has a dust hood that comes down around the spindle (M93) and a little farther (M94) and is retracted (M95).

Drilling and facing operations, the dust hood works great.  Gives us a nice clean surface.  But when cutting contours, the dust hood is inactive.  There is a button for it and it doesn't work either (in these operations).  I've looked at the G-code and I don't see anything different between the operations.  I've inserted M93's, but there's something else I'm missing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  It would be nice to keep the bigold machine kinda clean.

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, ETC Don said:

I have not been formally trained in the CNC arts, learning as I go.

Our CNC has a dust hood that comes down around the spindle (M93) and a little farther (M94) and is retracted (M95).

Drilling and facing operations, the dust hood works great.  Gives us a nice clean surface.  But when cutting contours, the dust hood is inactive.  There is a button for it and it doesn't work either (in these operations).  I've looked at the G-code and I don't see anything different between the operations.  I've inserted M93's, but there's something else I'm missing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  It would be nice to keep the bigold machine kinda clean.

Thanks.

The people who supplied you the post would be your best resource. There should be a switch in the operation to activate it.

What version of Mastercam are you running? In each operation they have what are called misc integers and reals that have switches. In there you will want to look for the place listing this follow what it says to input for activate the option. Depending on your version you might find an something on the tech exchange at the official Mastercam website. Without a Z2G with your post and everything else not much more I can think of to assist you further.

• Like 1

I have Mastercam X6 Version 0.23.1.148
Parasolid

MI1=2, MI6=1, MI9=2 the rest is all 0s.  It's the same for both operations.  I hope I'm not coming across obtuse, I've been thrust in to this after loosing the previous programmer.

30 minutes ago, ETC Don said:

MI1=2, MI6=1, MI9=2 the rest is all 0s. 

So, you have numbers but no labels? What happens if you remove the numbers? Make a copy of the operation and change that one and see what difference if any is in the output.

Sounds like a half-baked post edit.

You will need to post a Z2G to get useful help.

The string table doesn't seem to match the $mi9 description though

# --------------------------------------------------------------------------
#Dust cover up/down
sdc_up      : "M93"      #Dust cover up
sdc_down_l  : "M93"      #Dust Cover down - long tool
sdc_down_s  : "M93"      #Dust Cover down - short tool
sdc_down : ""            #Target String

fstrsel sdc_up sdc_sel sdc_down 3 -1
1 minute ago, So not a Guru said:

The string table doesn't seem to match the $mi9 description though

#Dust cover up/down

Yes someone changed it. Correct that place in the post and then use the mi9 trigger and it should do exactly what they need.

Just now, crazy^millman said:

Yes someone changed it. Correct that place in the post and then use the mi9 trigger and it should do exactly what they need.

But before you do. MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF YOUR POST

Then

MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF YOUR POST :)

The change this

#Dust cover up/down

To this

#Dust cover up/down
sdc_up      : "M95"      #Dust cover up
sdc_down_l  : "M94"      #Dust Cover down - long tool

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope I don't come across as obtuse, but my understanding is:

Toolpath, Machine definitions and Control definitions, and Post Process file all affect the G-Code text file.

The CNC controller reads the G-Code text file, and that's it.

I think I understand a lot more about post processing, but the only connection to the CNC controller (Fanuc) is through the text file.  Or am I missing something?

1 hour ago, ETC Don said:

I hope I don't come across as obtuse, but my understanding is:

Toolpath, Machine definitions and Control definitions, and Post Process file all affect the G-Code text file.

The CNC controller reads the G-Code text file, and that's it.

I think I understand a lot more about post processing, but the only connection to the CNC controller (Fanuc) is through the text file.  Or am I missing something?

That pretty much sums it up. I explain to people who nothing about manufacturing the Post is a like a translator. Take the Language of the CAM and converting into a language the machine can understand. The CAM programmer has to understand how to take different items and use to to take CAD and convert that in the CAM into something to make it in a machine.

So, my original question was why the dust hood doesn't work unless I'm drilling.  It's not in the G-Code (the M 93, dust hood down, exists for each).  So it's not prior to the G-Code.  Would that be in the ladder logic or Controller determining whether the dust hood is active?

3 hours ago, ETC Don said:

So, my original question was why the dust hood doesn't work unless I'm drilling.  It's not in the G-Code (the M 93, dust hood down, exists for each).  So it's not prior to the G-Code.  Would that be in the ladder logic or Controller determining whether the dust hood is active?

Yes it seems like there is a ladder logic problem that the machine builder would have to correct.