Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Gun drill tool definition

SlaveCam

How do you define your gun drills, or do you create a custom tool like me every time?

Often the drilling depth is pretty tight and I like to be able to visualize the drilling properly. but due to the often asymmetrical tip, there is no way to define gun drill properly in mcam with standard drilling tools. I wish there was.

Custom tool with anything that has a custom shape not just gun drills. How deep you normally drilling? I have been using some 50XD drills doing a 1XD, 20XD then 50XD drilling with good results on a machine with High Pressure TSP. I treat the 20XD and 50XD like a gun drilling getting them and out of the hole. On some parts I am leaving excess stock on the hole face to remove later to clean up the end because sometimes no matter what I do the first part is still not like I want it.

4 hours ago, SlaveCam said:

Rarely over 30xD. Hydraulic blocks require the deepest holes. I don't really like gundrilling (because it's so slow) but sometimes there is no alternative if you want adequate finish.

Double and triple margin drills with thru the spindle coolant would be my first choice over the gun drill. PCT is who I recommend, but Titex, Walter, Ghuring all make good drills in this length range also. Really going to come down to diameter. 

On 6/5/2022 at 11:34 AM, SlaveCam said:

Rarely over 30xD. Hydraulic blocks require the deepest holes. I don't really like gundrilling (because it's so slow) but sometimes there is no alternative if you want adequate finish.

Kennametal 4 land drills work exceptionally well in these applications and blow guns drills out of the water for speed.

• Like 1
On 6/5/2022 at 3:53 AM, crazy^millman said:

Double and triple margin drills with thru the spindle coolant would be my first choice over the gun drill. PCT is who I recommend, but Titex, Walter, Ghuring all make good drills in this length range also. Really going to come down to diameter. 

Neat! I'm a big fan of double margin drills, but I've never even thought to look for triple margin.   The stability on those must be amazing.