Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam 2023 keeps creating entities that I don't want, or want to see.

Tegheim83

Have notices that sometimes, not always, MasterCam2023 creates entities that are put in Layer -1 when I do drilling operations.
This ones are always dark red #4.

Can I hide this layer in some way? Refering to my first attached picture.

Also, when doing a Cimco Probe "Measure Hole", Mastercam creates a bunch of arcs, in the active layer, in active color.
Sometimes up to twenty (20!) arcs on one operation. Each time I re generate, I get new arcs.

Refering to my second attached picture. Those blue arcs I hav enot created myself. And they are all in active layer, made by Mastercam/Cimco while regenerate a "TCHPROBE 421 Measure Hole"

Mcam2023.png

Mcam2023-01.png

The system needs what are called place holders for these processes to work correctly. Even though you are grabbing solid entities Mastercam will still create wireframe on the blanked level for them to work. We don't need to see under the hood, but removing the extra entities will destroy the toolpaths. Make some wrap shapes for 5 Axis toolpaths or some other shapes and see what kind of extra stuff starts being added to the file. Not smoke and mirrors, but there are things some of the toolpaths and functions need and the software is just not always showing them. In this case the CIMCO needs them to process it operations. You have become aware they are visible and if they hamper your programming efforts then you can move them to a different level and hide the level, Blank them on the current level or make an new active level when using the CIMCO probing that can be turned off.

• Like 1
On 6/15/2022 at 3:54 PM, crazy^millman said:

The system needs what are called place holders for these processes to work correctly. Even though you are grabbing solid entities Mastercam will still create wireframe on the blanked level for them to work. We don't need to see under the hood, but removing the extra entities will destroy the toolpaths. Make some wrap shapes for 5 Axis toolpaths or some other shapes and see what kind of extra stuff starts being added to the file. Not smoke and mirrors, but there are things some of the toolpaths and functions need and the software is just not always showing them. In this case the CIMCO needs them to process it operations. You have become aware they are visible and if they hamper your programming efforts then you can move them to a different level and hide the level, Blank them on the current level or make an new active level when using the CIMCO probing that can be turned off.

The first picture I understand is supposed to be blanks, that should be blanked, but isn't.

But that Cimco need 20+ arcs to make on operation, on my active level, I don't buy.

3 hours ago, Tegheim83 said:

The first picture I understand is supposed to be blanks, that should be blanked, but isn't.

But that Cimco need 20+ arcs to make on operation, on my active level, I don't buy.

Then get rid of Mastercam and get something that is more to your liking. Sorry, but if that is what is slowing down your programming efforts and creating issues with your ability to make CNC programs for the machine I don't know what anyone can do to help.

• Like 2

I've been investigating what makes the red hole axis lines display for a few days now. I have seen it but can't reliably reproduce it. If you know of a process that gets them to show I'd but happy to hear it. They are supposed to be blanked and are necessary for the toolpath, I just can't figure out what is causing them to display. Once I figure out the steps I can get the issue logged for the development team to take a look at. You can post it here or email [email protected] and I'll get it. Thanks.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
56 minutes ago, JMattison said:

I've been investigating what makes the red hole axis lines display for a few days now. I have seen it but can't reliably reproduce it. If you know of a process that gets them to show I'd but happy to hear it. They are supposed to be blanked and are necessary for the toolpath, I just can't figure out what is causing them to display. Once I figure out the steps I can get the issue logged for the development team to take a look at. You can post it here or email [email protected] and I'll get it. Thanks.

Excellent customer service sir. That is going above and beyond why Cimco is the company they are.

FYI for those unaware he works for CIMCO so he is the person to help get this issue sorted out.

13 minutes ago, Chally72 said:

If Jamie works for CIMCO too, his current team is going to be quite shocked. ;) 

The CIMCO arc creation issue should be sent in to CIMCO for investigation. The red line issue- that's all Jamie. (and me)

So it was Jamie from CNC Software I stand correct sorry about that. Thank you Dylan for pointing my mistake out I appreciate it.

On 6/22/2022 at 2:42 PM, crazy^millman said:

Then get rid of Mastercam and get something that is more to your liking. Sorry, but if that is what is slowing down your programming efforts and creating issues with your ability to make CNC programs for the machine I don't know what anyone can do to help.

What kind of answer is that?

So we can't have opinions anymore, and software shouldn't evolve?
Have used Mastercam for 18 years, but will still ask for things that are not working or bugging.

Obviously both Cimco and MasterCam are investigating a non existing issue then.

The arc-creating-bug, that we aren't allowed to complain about, is now resolved in latest update.
891573914_cimcoupdate.png.03f4954f0c0c34e1bfda6730f99b57e2.png

Thanks @JMattison and @Chally72 👍 

2 hours ago, Tegheim83 said:

What kind of answer is that?

So we can't have opinions anymore, and software shouldn't evolve?
Have used Mastercam for 18 years, but will still ask for things that are not working or bugging.

Obviously both Cimco and MasterCam are investigating a non existing issue then.

The arc-creating-bug, that we aren't allowed to complain about, is now resolved in latest update.
891573914_cimcoupdate.png.03f4954f0c0c34e1bfda6730f99b57e2.png

Thanks @JMattison and @Chally72 👍 

Yes you can and it got someone's attention and is getting looked at. What aggravates me is things like Lathe Fixtures cannot be supported or even looked at that was requested 15 years ago by me, but something silly as this get people flocking to take care of it. I have 100's of bug numbers and enhancement requests with my over 4000 emails between me and CNC Software going back to 2010 on this computer. I just call it like a I see it and that is the other option you have. Set this tool up for a VTL and see how much fun it is. Lathe doesn't support them very well and you get to play the roulette wheel of seeing how I can lie to Mastercam to get it to work correctly, but at least lines that have no bearing on doing your job quickly and easily you dislike coming into Mastercam while your trying to probe features will get taken care of. Sorry if I see things I and many other fight with as needing a little more attention. So yes please bring up you don't like something like having no groups in the Levels and Planes Manager like I did 8 years ago maybe that one will get taken care of finally.

Edited by crazy^millman
Pictures removed to add space

I forgot to set the boundary correctly slicing it and was not getting the correct toolpath for the face grooving. Then I get the Solid is destroyed using this function which means I cannot define the tool correctly. Now I have to make a copy of the solid and remove items that this boundary tool doesn't like or boolean add everything to the holder so when this function does what it needs then everything will do what is supposed to.

The problem was made better in 2023 it will still destroy the solid, but allow you to define the boundary.

Edited by crazy^millman
Pictures removed to add space

I don't have access to Cimco probing but wouldn't this workaround make this less irritating??

1. make some junk level the active level

2. turn that level's visibility off

The lines would still be created, but you couldn't see them and you could blow out the whole level when you were done

16 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Yes you can and it got someone's attention and is getting looked at. What aggravates me is things like Lathe Fixtures cannot be supported or even looked at that was requested 15 years ago by me, but something silly as this get people flocking to take care of it. I have 100's of bug numbers and enhancement requests with my over 4000 emails between me and CNC Software going back to 2010 on this computer. I just call it like a I see it and that is the other option you have. Set this tool up for a VTL and see how much fun it is. Lathe doesn't support them very well and you get to play the roulette wheel of seeing how I can lie to Mastercam to get it to work correctly, but at least lines that have no bearing on doing your job quickly and easily you dislike coming into Mastercam while your trying to probe features will get taken care of. Sorry if I see things I and many other fight with as needing a little more attention. So yes please bring up you don't like something like having no groups in the Levels and Planes Manager like I did 8 years ago maybe that one will get taken care of finally.

Ok, so we need to have bigger issues than you to be allowed. I get it.

I have close contact with Mastercam here in Sweden, and is reporting everything we get stuck on, and have done for 18 years.
Bigger and smaller bugs. I want things to evolve, not work around.
What I havn't done, is using this forum as much. So everything I investigate, or tried aren't here.

We have ordered a DMG MillTurn, with subspindle and multiaxis.
Maybe I face your more important problem then, and are allowed to write about it.

14 hours ago, gcode said:

I don't have access to Cimco probing but wouldn't this workaround make this less irritating??

1. make some junk level the active level

2. turn that level's visibility off

The lines would still be created, but you couldn't see them and you could blow out the whole level when you were done

Cimco have now taken care of this issue in their latest update.

733233665_cimcoupdate.png.2a3e622bf84409a35e05aeea261beea5.png